Aviation Mechanics Never Requested on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Actually I hiring A&P's and A&P/IA's on CraigsList. Just send to me of your name, dob, ssn, addressings and more. I shall advance at you the check for your first month you just transaction it and moneygram me back $2400 okay? No walmart nearby, no problem !! Go pickup five $500 Green Dot cards and call me with the scratch off #'s of the back of each, okay? You know you want to work for my Aviations Company, okay? It is the pleasure to make business with you !!!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Spartan grads would fall for something like this.
laugh.gif

Quote:
I never lacked for work, changed careers a few times, and always was hired based on word-of-moutb alone, (also known as cronyism). I literally don't even know how to look for a job, never have done it, worked all my life.

Lots of career fields are by word of mouth, no need for phony resume.

My direct boss (the chief pilot) is, well, more than a bit of an, well you know.

He placed an ad in Craigslist for an A+P mechanic to assist our fleet. He had this idea that we could find a cheap A+P who would be qualified, reasonably reliable and willing to work all sorts of hours.

Enjoy:

Our company needs a part time (on call) A+P mechanic. We operate some very high end aircraft in a corporate flight department and need additional maintenance help from time to time. This is NOT a full time or scheduled part time position. It is an "as required" position. Pay is low, hours are variable, working conditions are generally good and absolute perfection is required. There are no benefits of any sort. You'll be expected to show up on time and otherwise do your job like a reliable professional. If you are an A+P looking for work, please contact me. We need someone that lives reasonably close to Palm Beach International Airport. You must be able to pass a drug test, speak perfect English, show up when required and be willing and able to learn. This is an ideal job for someone who needs some experience as a starting A+P. Consider it an apprentice position.

Please, don't bother contacting me if you don't currently have a valid A+P certificate. If you don't know what an A+P certificate is, you don't have one.

compensation: $10 per hour
contract job
part-time

Last edited:
As you might expect, not one individual responded with interest. However, a great many people responded with scathing tirades. Even some pilots responded. I took great pleasure in my boss' response to his ad. He simply could not understand why there were no cheap and reliable A+P mechanics. His opinion of A+P's has not changed though.

The sad part is, we work for a multi billionaire. A generous individual who hires very qualified people and pays them well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
As you might expect, not one individual responded with interest. However, a great many people responded with scathing tirades. Even some pilots responded. I took great pleasure in my boss' response to his ad. He simply could not understand why there were no cheap and reliable A+P mechanics. His opinion of A+P's has not changed though.

The sad part is, we work for a multi billionaire. A generous individual who hires very qualified people and pays them well.

That sounds more like, my guys need help, but i don't want to hire anyone. I'll make them feel better that i posted a position ( that no one is going to take). He tells you he is hiring, and he never has to pay out to fill the position. Lip service.

My direct boss (the chief pilot) is, well, more than a bit of an, well you know.

Not an unusual attitude from pilots in regard to maintenance.

No offense, but $10 an hour part-time with no benefits is what a cashier at Publix Supermarket makes...
smirk.gif

Your boss is dumb to think he'll get a quality person for an Uber wage.

Just wondering if you would have been paid more working for the big commercial airlines verses working on the Gulfstream aircraft you work on ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Just wondering if you would have been paid more working for the big commercial airlines verses working on the Gulfstream aircraft you work on ?

If you can get a position as a permanent hire. Most commercial airlines are a meat grinder of contact positions and mad hires and layoffs.

Have you considered sending the ad to your principal? My guess is that he has more regard for his honor, his sense of fairplay and his reputation than does the chief pilot. Would he wish to fly in an aircraft maintained in this manner? Would he have confidence in a maintenance team led by such a defective leader? Send it. Frankly, you'd be doing him a favor.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

If you can get a position as a permanent hire. Most commercial airlines are a meat grinder of contact positions and mad hires and layoffs.

What do you mean by 'meat grinder' ???

My dad worked on the DC-8, DC-10, 727 and 747 at MIA for National Airlines and Pan Am. He really didn't like the unions always wanting to go on strike and was very glad to get out of the airline industry in which MBA's who knew nothing about aviation making very poor decisions and leaving with a golden parachute.

In the end, the airlines are professional organizations. Working for a Billionaire, subject to the whims of his pilot in charge, and his personal shenanigans leaves me with no job, no 401K, no retirement and no insurance. The Gulfstream aircraft are absolutely wonderful, as are the people at Gulfstream. However, it's no "career". It's a job.

20 years service, gobs of unpaid overtime, and absolutely nothing to show for it.

My very closest friend, worked for American Airlines was just the opposite. He just died in a motorcycle crash 2 weeks ago and left a fortune to his son. So, yes, a major airline would have been a far better choice.

A tough time for me right now. Friend gone, job gone, house in the path of Hurricane Irma.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back