Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a pickup truck a "Real Truck" ?
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Is it antifreeze or coolant?

Freon or refrigerant

Rims or wheels or hubs

Freon is a brand name. Similar to Kleenex. But everyone knows what you mean, when you ask for a Kleenex even if all they have are Walmart tissues.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Originally Posted By: supton
Rebuilt vs remanufactured? Seems there is a difference when it comes to long & short blocks.

I have read there is a difference in transmissions , also .

Big difference, and a big difference in price as well.

Wheels are shiny round metal things. Tires are round black rubber things. Rims are what people who think they're cool call wheels.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Wheels are shiny round metal things. Tires are round black rubber things. Rims are what people who think they're cool call wheels.

Wheels are the rim and tire together.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Wheels are metal.

Tires are rubber.

The rim is a part of the wheel; specifically, where the tire seats.

YES! Please stop the madness! This is actually the first I've heard of "wheels" including the tires, normally my pet peeve is "rims" referring to wheels. This just takes it to a whole new level.

-----

A couple that irk me:

When someone puts a Cowl Induction Hood on a car (think like 70 Chevelle, but usually this is on a car that didn't come with one) and refers to it as a "Cowl Hood." NO. The cowl is between the windshield and the hood, and the induction part is kind of the whole point.

When someone changes something on the front of their car like hood, fenders, and grille and refers to it as a front clip. NO. The front clip is the entire front section of the car, frame and all. Think like a car was rear ended but the front was ok so the junkyard clipped the front of the car off.

Originally Posted By: supton
Rebuilt vs remanufactured? Seems there is a difference when it comes to long & short blocks.

I heard quite a while ago that rebuilt means they replaced only the worn parts. Remanufactured means they replaced everything that can can wear. Of course this is all just speculation so I'd take this with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
The "gas pedal" would really more appropriately called the "air pedal" but "accelerator pedal" is probably best.
And that pedal's not a "throttle," either---although its position used to corresponded closely with the angle of the throttle in some vehicles. (Not if a governor is involved, or on diesels, or on newer vehicles with computer-controlled throttles)

How does can an engine with no throttle have "throttle response"?

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Wheels are the rim and tire together.
wink.gif

Wheels are only the metal part.

Wheels and tires together are a wheel and tire assembly.

Wheels are shiny round metal things. Tires are round black rubber things. ...
Sometimes, when we aren't being fancy, wheels are round black steel things.

Using specific power output to describe the power band characteristics of an engine.

Here's a tip: specific output (HP/KW) describes the maximum output @ ONE. SINGLE. RPM. VALUE. As we all know, each engine has an entire operating range consisting of literally thousands of 'single RPM values' and quoted specific output describes only one of those many thousands.

"Total area below the curve" is something every person should become familiar with if they want to talk about HORSEPOWAZ

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
For the love of god, just don't call them "breaks".

But what if my breaks don't work and I run into something with my bumber, and it then brakes it?

It wouldn't if you use the right peddle...

Correct use of case in scientific unit names and abbreviations.

For example cSt

The S is in capital case because the unit is named after a real person - George Stokes but when written out in full the s is lowercase: centistokes

Similarly:

mW or W named after James Watt. The unit symbol W for watts is always uppercase but when written in full the w is lowercase: milliwatt or watts.

People spelling axle as axel
People saying 2x4 instead of 4x2 for something 2wd (unless their car is actually a piece of wood)

Those are two that come to mind first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back