Atf Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 02 Buick Rendezvous with almost 169K on the clock. I purchased it at 160k, it is the AWD vers-trak with the 3.4 v-6. The ATF is a slight brown color. It does not smell burnt but I have no idea how long it has been in use. Prior fluid would have been Dexron 3 I would assume. No prior history on the vehicle. Shifts well and acts like it will last a long time. I am going to do a full system flush and refill. Should I go with the new DEX 6 or stay with the old DEX 3. My concern with the high miles if it has lasted this long on DEX 3 than if it is not broke then do not fix it. Or is there anything to be concerned with the DEX 6. I know it is more shear stable with better cold flow properties.

Its time to change the ATF. But only a UOA can tell for sure. But with no history, its time.

I would go with Dex VI. I am not sure anyone is licensed to make Dex III anymore so who knows what you might get.

Or a top ATF like Amsoil or Redline.

If it has a filter, that should be changed also.

I would siphon out the fluid...drop the pan...change the filter..fill with Dex 6. Then siphon and fill it again next weekend and the following weekend and you should be good.

I had the same issue on my Chevy Uplander when I bought it. Service a.s.a.p. with Valvoline Dex 6, then at 200k service it again. If they did not service the transmission.....you might want to look at the antifreeze?

Changing the ATF is a GREAT idea! As long as you're not experiencing any issues with the transmission, then changing the fluid is a good idea.

I don't know if your car has a drain plug for the transmission, but if it doesn't, then consider getting an aftermarket transmission pan with a drain plug .

You might want to drain and fill 3x, driving a short distance between the drain and fills (anywhere from a few miles to a few weeks) . Dexron VI will work great.

After this, you only need to do one drain-and-fill every 60k.

I wouldn't go overboard here. It isn't broke. Drop the pan, replace filter with a GM one, wipe gasket and reuse, refill with Dex6. Done.

I have had many of these 4T65 transmissions. They are decently durable and with the high mileage that is my suggestion on the fluid change. If you still have it around 200k then do the exact same thing to it. It will take 6.5-7.5 qts to refill.

I agree with you beast3300. Total capacity is pretty similar to what the pan holds. Everyone seems to think Dex 6 will work fine. So more than likely I will drop the pan replace the filter and clean the pan refill and run a while. Several flushes can get very expensive.

Dex 6 for sure. It will shear way less than a Dex 3 which is one of the best reasons to use it.

Maxlife Dex/Merc is a good choice too if you want to go that route, but it depends on availability. Supertech Dex 6 from walmart is what i have in my 4T65E and i will continue to use it as its a quality product at a bargain basement price (about $4 a quart)

From what i have gathered they are pretty much the same but some others have tried to say different. Even if they ARE different the price difference wouldn't justify any meaningful return especially if your going to keep up with the changes now.

Originally Posted By: RedOak
I agree with you beast3300. Total capacity is pretty similar to what the pan holds. Everyone seems to think Dex 6 will work fine. So more than likely I will drop the pan replace the filter and clean the pan refill and run a while. Several flushes can get very expensive.

Not quite. Total fill is 10.5 QT and pan is 7.8 QT. So the pan holds a higher % than most cars.

You are correct Donald. That helps a little with not leaving to much used fluid in. But there is still some.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I wouldn't go overboard here. It isn't broke. Drop the pan, replace filter with a GM one, wipe gasket and reuse, refill with Dex6. Done.

I have had many of these 4T65 transmissions. They are decently durable and with the high mileage that is my suggestion on the fluid change. If you still have it around 200k then do the exact same thing to it. It will take 6.5-7.5 qts to refill.

AMEN!

Originally Posted By: RedOak
Thant is what I was thinking- Using the Supertech Dex 6. Valvoline can't be any better I would think?

The supertech dex6 is a syn-blend. That's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back