at what age do seniors get senior pricing?

The only place I have received a senior discount is at McDonalds for coffee or at the movie theaters. I just don't think of it and they never ask me for some reason. Some areas must be more flexible with senior discounts but I don't see discounts available where I live.

A place that can offer a 10% discount to a sizable part of the population is overpriced out of the gate. The discount is flattery, which, if it works for both parties, I guess, who am I to interfere?

The only place I have received a senior discount is at McDonalds for coffee or at the movie theaters. I just don't think of it and they never ask me for some reason. Some areas must be more flexible with senior discounts but I don't see discounts available where I live.

If I was a business owner and I saw a senior pull up in a Corvette or with a F150 pulling a boat, I don't think I'd go out of my way to offer a senior discount.

The discount policy as trained to cashiers is usually these two points.
* Don't mention there's a senior discount unless the customer asks. Some people will be insulted.
* If the customer says that they are over the required age, grant the discount. Don't question their age further.

It's 55, 62 or 65 depending upon the establishment. Those seem to be the arbitrary numbers. I have never seen anyone use 58, 60 or 64 for example. Maybe the numbers of 62 and 65 do back to when those were the minimum ages to start collecting Social Security and Medicare.

Not sure how 55 got in there except that seems to be the retirement age for civil servants who are getting subsidized by the taxpayer retirement/pension checks. I would be embarrassed to ask for a discount at age 55.

I used to quiz my passengers when they got on the bus to Manhatten and asked for the Senior discount (which was 62). Nobody would ever bother to show the required ID, so I would simply ask “Who was President when you were born?”. If they answered correctly they got the discount. Thought I was pretty clever until one day a guy responded to the quiz question with “How am I supposed to know, I was just a baby!” He got the discount.

Don't get all excited about the AARP discounts . A lot of businesses offer some sort of discount and AARP is just another way to qualify for it . You can't combine them so it's not really a big deal . I joined and when I looked through the benefits there wasn't really anything there to get excited about . I turned off the Auto Renew function and I'm just going to let it expire in a few months .

If I was a business owner and I saw a senior pull up in a Corvette or with a F150 pulling a boat, I don't think I'd go out of my way to offer a senior discount.

Yeah, very cringey when balding Corvette or Cadillac owner with gold chain demands a senior discount at McDonalds when ordering breakfast coffee and hash brown.

Last edited:
A request for 10 commuter bus tickets was answered with, "Senior, right?". I responded in the affirmative.
Hey, put or leave money in my pocket and I'll kiss you!

Wanna hear a bad one? Our dancing group went to Bergen, Norway for a huge, tri-annual fest.
4,500 folk dancers descended upon a spread out town of maybe 80,000.
One of our guys held up a line trying to message a discount from the city's funicular operator.

It was beyond uncomfortable.

There is no answer to that. It depends on each establishment to set their own policies. You can join AARP at 50 but I don't consider that "senior". When I was looking into it 58 seemed to be the low threshold. I don't remember which places used that. I started asking for it at 58. Most places just gave it. If they said anything I'd reply "I'm a young guy but AARP tells me I'm a senior". Usually they gave it. If not, no big deal.

so I would simply ask “Who was President when you were born?”. If they answered correctly they got the discount. Thought I was pretty clever until one day a guy responded to the quiz question with “How am I supposed to know, I was just a baby!”
Exactly. How many people know who the prez was when they were born?? Why would you? I have no clue and don't care. That was a bit unfair Mr. Bus Driver.:(

Exactly. How many people know who the prez was when they were born?? Why would you? I have no clue and don't care. That was a bit unfair Mr. Bus Driver.:(
Jeff, the President question I posed to a few passengers wasn’t really a history lesson but more like an age check. As drivers we were inundated with discounted Senior tickets sold at vending machines without proof of Senior status. At the same time drivers were instructed to demand ID at the point of surrender. My technique was to let these passengers know that they weren’t “getting over” on me. Hence the President question. And the unspoken understanding that the next time you hand me a reduced fare ticket you better have ID. Remember, there’s 57 passengers on the bus all watching how you handle this. The non confrontational approach is Ill accept this today, tomorrow I need ID.

Last edited:
I get 10% off at NAPA by showing them my AAA card. I get a fiddy cent coffee at McDonalds and many more at different businesses just for asking. My wife got a 10% discount at the grocery store on Thursday. I asked her if she asked for the seniors discount and she rolled her eyes and said ….NO! :D

There is no answer to that. It depends on each establishment to set their own policies. You can join AARP at 50 but I don't consider that "senior". When I was looking into it 58 seemed to be the low threshold. I don't remember which places used that. I started asking for it at 58. Most places just gave it. If they said anything I'd reply "I'm a young guy but AARP tells me I'm a senior". Usually they gave it. If not, no big deal.
That's what I'm talking about . Senior discount or AARP . Same discount , just two different ways to qualify for it . AARP is nothing special .

Jeff, the President question I posed to a few passengers wasn’t really a history lesson but more like an age check. As drivers we were inundated with discounted Senior tickets sold at vending machines without proof of Senior status. At the same time drivers were instructed to demand ID at the point of surrender. My technique was to let these passengers know that they weren’t “getting over” on me. Hence the President question. And the unspoken understanding that the next time you hand me a reduced fare ticket you better have ID. Remember, there’s 57 passengers on the bus all watching how you handle this. The non confrontational approach is Ill accept this today, tomorrow I need ID.

You handled the public well, you shouldn't have been put in the position to enforce age rules because of ticket vending machines.

Back