At the DC March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
School shootings and bombings are a "People" problem, not a method or a material problem.

Exactly.

Let's be quite clear--Hogg, Rosie O'Donnell, George Soros, whoever--they aren't against banning guns. Not at all. They're against banning private ownership of guns.

If you buy into the notion that teachers, or private citizens, cannot handle weapons as well, or if not better, than your average cop, you have no clue. If you think the average cop is somehow a good shot, please come out and watch them run a USPSA stage or an IDPA stage--then you'll know better. And finally, if you think the average cop is more socially adjusted to be the sole possessor of weapons among us, you've got a screw loose.

These activists on one hand protest police brutality, excessive force, whatever. Then on the other hand state that only the police need guns. It's truly mind boggling.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Being a gun owner and avid hunter I still believe we need some realistic gun control fair to all parties.

How many rounds in a magazine will you allow me to have?

How many rounds of ammunition will you allow me to have in my home?

How many firearms will you allow me to own?

Frankly, whether you are a gun owner or a Fudd really doesn't give you any different standing than Hogg whining at the podium today.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
School shootings and bombings are a "People" problem, not a method or a material problem.

Exactly.

Agreed, just think about it, if they didn't have a gun or a bomb, poison would be next!

A "conversation" about common sense gun control and safety.

That side: We want 100% gun registration, 100% background checks on all transactions, mag size limits, "assault weapons" sales banned and/or confiscated, background check on ammo purchases. For starters.

This side: What compromises are you willing to make? Universal carry permit? Hearing Protection Act? Enforce to the letter the gun laws currently enacted before passing more?

That side: No.

This is the conversation that some people want to happen and can't understand why others don't like it.

School safety? Absolutely, get it done right now. The shooting in Florida, (while we may never know if it was directed at only the former girlfriend and her boyfriend or if the shooter was going to shoot more) perfectly illustrated how to provide much improved safety RIGHT NOW. Trained, armed personnel in every school as soon as it can happen is the best and fastest method. Everything else is blabber and will take years to accomplish.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I replaced the recoil spring in my Marlin60 today. The stiffer spring really cycles the 14 rounds well.
sitting outside waiting for a firearms training course to start, reading bitog.. i can feel the change also, going to add 37 states to my carry.

Btw. Please tell the austin bomber more about gun laws.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
A "conversation" about common sense gun control and safety.

That side: We want 100% gun registration, 100% background checks on all transactions, mag size limits, "assault weapons" sales banned and/or confiscated, background check on ammo purchases. For starters.

This side: What compromises are you willing to make? Universal carry permit? Hearing Protection Act? Enforce to the letter the gun laws currently enacted before passing more?

That side: No.

This is the conversation that some people want to happen and can't understand why others don't like it.

School safety? Absolutely, get it done right now. The shooting in Florida, (while we may never know if it was directed at only the former girlfriend and her boyfriend or if the shooter was going to shoot more) perfectly illustrated how to provide much improved safety RIGHT NOW. Trained, armed personnel in every school as soon as it can happen is the best and fastest method. Everything else is blabber and will take years to accomplish.

Worked in Maryland didn't it but we aren't hearing much about that from the fake News are we?

Why aren't they marching to have the blatantly incompetent and corrupt law enforcement officials in Broward Country fired???????? It's the guns fault that law enforcement was warned over 3 dozen times about the kid who shot up the school, and no one did a [censored] thing about it? It was the guns fault that the deputies on seen were told to stand down? They're all a bunch of cowards and frauds. No, you're not gonna take my gun away because of morons in government. All you do by marching is drive up gun and ammo sales, and thank god for that!

Yes School shootings are a definite people problem. People who attack schools, people who advocate ridicoulous rights to own excess firepower without check, government officials too chicken for change, people who want them banned. People closed minded especially on this board that a discussion, rally , or any thought of change would help something that happens over and over.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm a gun owner.
The changes I see coming are: 10 round magazines, ban the bump stops, must be 21 years old or older to buy rifles, certain guns like the AR15, AK47 will go class 3
and there will be laws regarding confiscation of firearms, gun registration and background checks. Buying a used gun direct from a co-worker... will no longer be allowed as you will need to have a background check and have the firearm registered.

None of those things would have stopped ANY of the recent school shootings.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Guns are at the bottom of what went wrong at Parkland. In order of priority of things to fix:

1. School administration controls of how they handle students like Cruz / mental illness, etc. ...
2. Creating proper safety in school zones (access, training, etc.). They didn't exist in Parkland.
3. Failure of local police - firing of management and proper retraining of officers
4. Failure of state and federal govt's to investigate and follow through.
5. Parental control of their kids. Cruz's original parents, step parents, and guardians all failed. His peers at school failed him.

and lastly

6. proper gun control/access/background checks/etc....though only after 1-5 are addressed.

There was no failure of #6 as Cruz got the guns legally. Students should be marching for the huge failure on #1,2,3,4,5 and how to fix them.

Today's March fixes nothing on #1-5. The "March" is all about getting votes in November and trying to take away all guns.

Only take away #6 and Parkland still likely would have happened...though maybe only with pistols, knives, bombs, or automobile. Cruz could have gotten his guns at age 21 if the age is raised to that number. Fire the Broward Country Sheriff, school superintendent, and start fixing the root causes. If you can't get that done...don't blame guns.

Address the ROOT CAUSES....not the symptoms or side issues. Why didn't the same kids vehemently "protest" Cruz being able to get back on campus? They knew he was a potential school shooter....some actually expected it. They knew he had guns. If only these same kids put as much effort into making their school safe after Sandy Hook and other school shootings than marching to ban guns. Start with getting the $95 security bars that keep class room doors sealed tight even under gun fire. They can make them in shop class. Nice to see Parkland is "hardening" their school with clear back packs...lol.

Absolutely 100% SPOT ON.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'm a gun owner.
The changes I see coming are: 10 round magazines, ban the bump stops, must be 21 years old or older to buy rifles, certain guns like the AR15, AK47 will go class 3
and there will be laws regarding confiscation of firearms, gun registration and background checks. Buying a used gun direct from a co-worker... will no longer be allowed as you will need to have a background check and have the firearm registered.

Drew,

Unfortunately you’re right and the next mass shooter probably already has their weapon, ammunition and magazines.

In honor of smc733, MA, and the anti-2nd amendment/ Leftist protests today, the local fire dept. will be raffling off 10 AR-15s.

What I find interesting, and from an Oz perspective.

Some years ago, a major employer locked all the workers out as a form of industrial action. The workers protested (obviously), and many had their children with them (no pay, can't pay for childcare), and the media commentary was that it was disgusting that these children were being used as pawns by their parents.

Now, these kids are amazing for standing up for their rights.

The thoughts are clearly implanted.

Again, from an Oz perspective, my Mum (retired, but long term in our education system) was up last weekend. My daughter is 15, and currently going through our education system.

They were having dinner table discussion about this very topic, and how amazing these kids and the clarity of their message is. Then they went into great detail about how any 16 year old can walk into a gun store, and walk out with an assault rifle on the way to the school etc.

When I countered that wasn't the case...that's what they've been told...retired professional from another state, and girl in year 10 currently...these people are being downloaded with thoughts that aren't theirs.

Buying a used gun direct from a co-worker... will no longer be allowed as you will need to have a background check and have the firearm registered.

Some states already have laws requiring this for hand guns.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'm a gun owner.

Drew,

Unfortunately you’re right and the next mass shooter probably already has their weapon, ammunition and magazines.

Wasn't the school shooter a 19 year old? So he wouldn't have been able to buy a gun legally so I believe that would have stopped him.

Those other items would have only slowed down the Vegas shooter though.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Got a chuckle today hearing that one of the top Parkland activist students (Hogge) was upset that the school board was requiring see-through back packs at school. He calls that infringement of his constitutional rights. Yet, he's stumping for turning in guns. Talk about lack of vision.

Would a see-through back-pack policy have stopped Cruz? Probably not. What would he care? Will it stop a student or other person from entering school grounds with a pistol concealed in their clothes or wrapped around their leg? Nope. How about a rifle being carried in a box or a trumbone case? See-through trombone cases and see-through cars are probably next...???

A lot of these school shooting are students bringing guns in to schools on a daily basis. I bet if you searched every kid in schools across this country on Monday you'd find 100s of guns inside the school system across this country. I hear every other day on the news about some kid being caught with a gun inside a school.

There have been many school shootings where a kid has taken one of his parents guns from home to school and have shot up an ex-girlfriend or other kids who have bullied them. Now there's talk in certain cities and states of making laws where everyone would have to lock up all their guns in some kind of "approved" device or safe. Parents definitely need to be super aware of what access their kids have of their guns, and what mental state their kids are always in and what's going on in their kid's lives. That's just part of what a parent should be.

There have been "bad" schools around for years that have used metal detectors to find kids bringing guns into schools. There are laws that say anyone under 21 can't own a handgun. I sure hope when they catch a kid with a gun they charge them and their parents if possible with the full penalty extent the law allows. People will not change unless the laws crack down hard on people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back