AT&T has Abandoned their Copper Phone Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: kschachn
It may get a better location because it is loaded into a database, not because the landline termination is somehow geolocated. If you sign up for a 911 service for a VOIP phone they will let you enter in your address which accomplishes the same thing.

It also happens when I turn on wi-fi calling on my cell phone. You have to enter in your location since it needs to be reported properly.

Its from 2006 but its a comprehensive description of the enhanced 9-1-1 system in the US.

This system was conceived and originated in the US.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/9-1-13.htm

Yes?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why do people still have landlines?

AFAIK, 911 gets a more correct and distinct location if calling from a landline. If from VOIP, cell, etc., they ay not be able to pinpoint your location. May be very important in case of a home invasion or a choking incident.

While extremely low risk, I see this being as critical as any other protections that people might make for themselves in case of such situations.

Perhaps tech has changed/advanced though.

True and this is all the more important for senior citizens who are home bound and do not have any advantage in owning a cell phone that constantly needs recharging and which lacks the good sound quality of an old Ma Bell phone. Additionally, most of the personal safety devices worn by the elderly in the event they fall or have shortness of breath, etc are tied directly to a landline. (These are the small transmitters often worn or pinned to clothing.)

Plus landlines are cheaper and thats another consideration for millions of Americans who are elderly or disabled and of limited means.

But your point about 911 and immediate location services is an excellent one.

No, they're not. My mother has a landline...she pays as much as my wife and I pay combined, for two phones with unlimited everything (voice, text, data). There are cheaper cell phone options than what we have.

You do realize (I hope) that there are areas in this country (Quite a few actually) where cell service is at best erratic and not reliable.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
What's a "landline"?

If something that was used by nearly 100% of the US as recently as a decade or two ago escapes you, I imagine you also know very little of the history of this country prior to 1990 or so.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

You do realize (I hope) that there are areas in this country (Quite a few actually) where cell service is at best erratic and not reliable.

Vast rural areas are still reliant on phone lines installed in the 20-s and 30-s with very little investment in communication methods since then. These are the areas where you see the divide most -- no internet, no access to information, etc. These are also the areas with the "opioid epidemic", high unemployment, etc.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

AFAIK, 911 gets a more correct and distinct location if calling from a landline. If from VOIP, cell, etc., they ay not be able to pinpoint your location. May be very important in case of a home invasion or a choking incident.

While extremely low risk, I see this being as critical as any other protections that people might make for themselves in case of such situations.

Perhaps tech has changed/advanced though.

True and this is all the more important for senior citizens who are home bound and do not have any advantage in owning a cell phone that constantly needs recharging and which lacks the good sound quality of an old Ma Bell phone. Additionally, most of the personal safety devices worn by the elderly in the event they fall or have shortness of breath, etc are tied directly to a landline. (These are the small transmitters often worn or pinned to clothing.)

Plus landlines are cheaper and thats another consideration for millions of Americans who are elderly or disabled and of limited means.

But your point about 911 and immediate location services is an excellent one.

No, they're not. My mother has a landline...she pays as much as my wife and I pay combined, for two phones with unlimited everything (voice, text, data). There are cheaper cell phone options than what we have.

I find that dubious or she's really getting ripped off. We pay $16.99 for a landline plus a few fees.

My POTS landline has never failed in almost 21 years. I will keep it as long as possible. I have a rellie in OK who thinks his cellphone is okay but for some reason still has his LL. A few months ago he discovered he still has an AT&T prepaid card that he decided to use up. He has been using it ever since to call me because the connection is so much more reliable and the voice quality clearer than his cell. Go figure.

911 calls from cell phones can be pin pointed .

Copper is on the way out.

POTs lines are on the way out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back