AT&T has Abandoned their Copper Phone Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an idea...call back your phone company and ask for a manager and tell them your story. As long as you pay for lines they can be fixed. Sounds like a lazy field tech. Have them send a different and more experienced tech out. If the trouble is chronic or not fixable, the reasoning wouldnt be same as you mentioned. If not fixable, either have them provide you a generous credit or have them find a similar priced solution.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Landlines have gone the same way as dodo birds.

And yet nearly every phone call uses them....

True. If you place a call from a cellphone in San Francisco to someone in Salt Lake City, UT, the call isn't streaming from cell tower to cell tower hundreds of miles away. It connects to the wired telecom system and it does the same thing even if your calling your neighbor, even if your both using a cell phone.

Cell towers aren't using the two wire lines that used to go into everyone's home. They are multiplexed in one way or another. Not really a direct comparison.

Sure it is. Take your AT&T Wireless phone, call Grandma nextdoor on Verizon Wireless. It goes over the POTS lines, same as any other call. Still gets mutiplexed with all the other voice traffic. Call Autozone to check stock, you guessed it POTS landline. Call nearly any company and it goes over POTS. It may go over VoIP from the tower to the wireless CO but after that it most likely goes over POTS. Or even VoIP from origin to end CO but it goes out the POTS for the "last mile".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why do people still have landlines?

AFAIK, 911 gets a more correct and distinct location if calling from a landline. If from VOIP, cell, etc., they ay not be able to pinpoint your location. May be very important in case of a home invasion or a choking incident.

While extremely low risk, I see this being as critical as any other protections that people might make for themselves in case of such situations.

Perhaps tech has changed/advanced though.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I have an idea...call back your phone company and ask for a manager and tell them your story. As long as you pay for lines they can be fixed. Sounds like a lazy field tech. Have them send a different and more experienced tech out. If the trouble is chronic or not fixable, the reasoning wouldnt be same as you mentioned. If not fixable, either have them provide you a generous credit or have them find a similar priced solution.

Around us, Verizon was so desiring to get rid of copper and DSL users, that they locked in a permanent discount for our landline and FiOS internet, which is pretty attractively priced for being a permanent rate. Hasnt changed in years since!

Took quite a bit of complaining and negotiating with various levels of management.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I put in a service request last week because of static on my land line. The technician came out today and said the static is due to squirrel bites letting water get in between the copper line and the insulation. Keep in mind that it is THEIR LINE not mine. He said AT&T had stopped doing maintenance on copper lines ever since they installed fiber optic lines throughout the neighborhood. He said if I want the static to go away that I need to switch to the fiber optic line by opening an internet account coupled with phone service. I said I already have the internet provided by Comcast. He then suggested I go ahead and pay the install fees for AT&T fiber optic internet service and then later on cancel the internet service and keep the phone service on the fiber optic line. I thought you guys might like to hear a story about corporate red tape at its finest.

Office of the President, 800-791-6661
Tell them you've had a tech out and aren't satisfied and want the issue fixed.
Have the original ticket info handy.

1. POTS has a more dependable power back-up system.
2. Cannot be wiretapped without an order.
3. Cell was down during 911 in NYC

I saw something similar with Verizon. We had trouble with our land line on a couple of occasions. They switched our wiring to the switch house on two occasions to clear the problems (switched wiring to other unused land lines). We finally went to fiber optic. The land lines represent old infrastructure (maybe 50 years old) with limited capability. I believe they are "abandoning in place", spending no money towards copper upgrades.

I do miss the old "phone always worked" system. Now you have a battery back-up that only lasts at most 24 hours. And you have to buy a new battery every so often. Our system is currently chirping for a new battery. I guess that's progress.

http://stopthecap.com/2017/01/10/frozen-...-massachusetts/

Verizon has also in small western mass towns where the only internet provider is them running 5/5 Mbps at best but mostly 2/.5 I have observed at in laws on copper . It breaks Verizon won't fix. The town with heads up rear has not made cable tv/lines accessible. Mainly stupid old farts who thought they never would need cable and voted against in past so they gave up.

Now they are voting to have fiber installed for $2000/house if more then half town goes into contract. Real estate values have dropped as town is skipped by intelligent buyers because high speed wired internet is a utility not luxury.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

AFAIK, 911 gets a more correct and distinct location if calling from a landline. If from VOIP, cell, etc., they ay not be able to pinpoint your location. May be very important in case of a home invasion or a choking incident.

While extremely low risk, I see this being as critical as any other protections that people might make for themselves in case of such situations.

Perhaps tech has changed/advanced though.

True and this is all the more important for senior citizens who are home bound and do not have any advantage in owning a cell phone that constantly needs recharging and which lacks the good sound quality of an old Ma Bell phone. Additionally, most of the personal safety devices worn by the elderly in the event they fall or have shortness of breath, etc are tied directly to a landline. (These are the small transmitters often worn or pinned to clothing.)

Plus landlines are cheaper and thats another consideration for millions of Americans who are elderly or disabled and of limited means.

But your point about 911 and immediate location services is an excellent one.

Technology marches on, whether we like it or not.
I think at some point land lines to private homes will be obsolete, but only after assured cell service is available for all remote/rural areas. That's a ways off.

I checked on switching over to fiber, but they wanted $150 for the install. I told them to shove it--they already connected it to my house, and installed the modem in my basement! I'm not paying $150 for someone to come out and flip a switch. Not only that but their bundle deal costs more that what I already am paying. I don't want TV, all I want is local phone with limited long distance; and halfway decent internet (my DSL is 5MB down and 0.5MB up, and it's too slow to telecommute). Heck, with various internet options I probably don't even need traditional phone coverage. But the only provider in town only provides the bundle.

So I too do not look forward to the end of copper. I understand why, but I'm going to play cheapskate for as long as I can. The bills will never go down, only up.

As for cell service: I have service at home, in certain spots. It gets better in winter, and if I walk around the yard. Most of my friends in the area have zero service near their homes.

I am with everybody here on getting rid of my landline service a few years ago after an outage that took ATT 2 months to fix.
By about 2 weeks, I cancelled the service and get a VOIP service from PhonePower.
They send me a box to connect to the home router, from that box, there is a phone cable to the phone.
Very reliable, the only time it gives me trouble was when the cable internet is down.

Because I hate smartphones. Had one issues at work and could not wait to give it back. Thumb runners annoy me. Cell service is spotty at my house.

Have Comcast cable and have Vonage for "land line" service. Cheap, extremely reliable and lots of benefits like back-up voice mail, free minutes to Mexico and Canada, hundreds of long distance minute per month in the USA, etc.

Get your number transferred to Vonage on your Comcast internet and be done with AT&T ...
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

When I ditched my land line, they tried to talk me into keeping it saying that police could potentially arrive faster. My response was that since I lived in Baltimore City, the police were not going to show up anyway.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

When I ditched my land line, they tried to talk me into keeping it saying that police could potentially arrive faster. My response was that since I lived in Baltimore City, the police were not going to show up anyway.

It may get a better location because it is loaded into a database, not because the landline termination is somehow geolocated. If you sign up for a 911 service for a VOIP phone they will let you enter in your address which accomplishes the same thing.

It also happens when I turn on wi-fi calling on my cell phone. You have to enter in your location since it needs to be reported properly.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
1. POTS has a more dependable power back-up system.
2. Cannot be wiretapped without an order.
3. Cell was down during 911 in NYC

1. Many VOIP phones through fiber or cable internet have battery backup these days too.
2. You can just wire tap it with a hall sensor, no need for warrant or order.
3. Copper line goes down all the time during storm and disasters as well. This is 2017, I don't think it is much difference either way now.

BTW, E911 has been a mandate for a couple years now. If you use a smart phone that's newer than 3 years, you will be using its GPS to notify the 911 dispatcher where you are at. Also cell towers are now pretty good at guessing your location from one of its many nearby tower, and many antennas. This is a free feature because of the proliferation of MIMO.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

It may get a better location because it is loaded into a database, not because the landline termination is somehow geolocated. If you sign up for a 911 service for a VOIP phone they will let you enter in your address which accomplishes the same thing.

It also happens when I turn on wi-fi calling on my cell phone. You have to enter in your location since it needs to be reported properly.

Its from 2006 but its a comprehensive description of the enhanced 9-1-1 system in the US.

This system was conceived and originated in the US.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/9-1-13.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back