Are You A Brand Loyalist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely brand loyal in a sense. I'm Japanese and Japanese only,with Nissan being my fave brand.

No, only what's easiest to get. Sometimes Walmart is out of what I need so I wait couple months. If shelves are still empty I call my Amsoil dealer. Otherwise any name brand oil - Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, SuperTech, Amazon Basics - in no particular order.

Last edited:
Only ever owned Fords, I'll stick with what works for me.

If I ever did buy a different brand it would most likely be a VW or Hyundai.

for recreation I like Yamaha and only ever owned Yamaha until I got a good deal on a Kawasaki vulcan awhile back.

i guess i'm somewhat Ford loyal...I mean i just bought my second one in a row...but I've owned:

Chevy - 93 Corsica
Olds - 87 Ninety-Eight
Hyundai - Y2K Sonata
Dodge - 05 Neon
Mercury - 09 Sable
Ford - 13 C-max Hybrid

I'm only REALLY loyal to the important things...
Ketchup (heinz), Mustard (Plochmans), Miracle whip (mayo ewww), Hotdogs (Nathans), Coffee (Tim Hortons), Root Beer (A&W), Android phones and Windows PC's
Xbox and Forza, etc

Filters I go back and forth between Wix and Fram(ultra)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n
Hello everyone. Growing up as a kid, I was raised around Fords. My dad worked on cars in the 60s, has his own autoparts store in the 70s until that chain stores moved in. Finally he worked for a Ford Motorcraft parts warehouse from 1979-2010. His personal and company cars were all Ford. He always used MotorCraft parts on his vehicles. Motor oil, filters, wiper blades, shocks, batteries, etc. His reasoning for this was two fold. He got his parts at cost and also they always worked. He believed that since the parts were designed and marketed for Ford OEM specs....they would always fit, work, and be of high quality. Are any of you brand loyal? Do you only drive a Chevy? Do you only use a certain brand oil oil or filter regardless of price?

God no. Oil companies would slit my throat if they thought it would make their stock increase by a nickel. They get no loyalty from me, especially now that I'm educated enough to know that assuming it meets specs, oil really is oil. I'll buy whatever I can afford on the day I need it and not worry about it.

Originally Posted by beanoil
Dad was a Valvoline guy, Grandpa was a Pennzoil lover. Both of their 318's did fine though.

That's cos they didn't put any o that Quacker State in em.
lol.gif

I drive Fords. Dad did. Grandpa did. Now I do. I even own the car my dad bought when he was 16.

Valvoline has always treated me right, answered my questions, paid rebates, and I have lots of various Valvoline swag.

K&N has taken care of me very well too, in various forms.

Napa Gold Filters have always performed flawlessly for me.

Amsoil has some of the absolute best products I've ever seen or experienced.

So that's what I mostly use with some Rotella and Delo peppered in.

This is me, standing behind the car that's now in my garage. He gave it to me in 2005. Was partial to Fords even at 3 years old. And no, the picture was not taken in 2011. It's a picture of a picture.

9579AF05-D47A-4E76-B541-FADB76623FF6.png

Last edited:
There are several brands I won't use anymore out of principle (SOPUS).

I'm not particularly loyal to those I do use. Though I tend to keep to Mobil1 and Valvoline. I've dabbled in supertech and Kendall just for giggles.

I don't know that I'm necessarily brand loyal but there's a handful of brands of things I won't waste my money on anymore after enough bad experiences and some brands that have impressed me enough that I'll likely be a repeat buyer. My Yamaha outboard has been extremely reliable so I would buy from them again in a heartbeat if I ever need to. If my wife's Toyota lives up to the reputation for reliability then I will likely purchase another Toyota. I had an old 1993 Nissan hardbody that was such a reliable truck I regretted selling it and I bought it back 5 years later. Aside from a set of brakes, a tire, and oil changes that truck was never properly maintained. It always started and never left me stranded. Rust and a bad head gasket eventually took that off the road. Even when the head gasket blew it still made it home. It was loud enough to hear over the radio so I pulled over and popped the hood. Engine sounded like a bunch of pots and pans clanking together. Shut it off for a minute and checked the oil. It was chock full of coolant. At that point I knew the truck was shot and I was too broke for a tow or a repair so I turned the key and she started back up albeit reluctantly. I drove the rest of the way home. It feels a bit nostalgic being back in a Nissan truck again driving to my office job with leather and all the gadgets reflecting on being young and broke driving the rusted out 1993 with no working temperature gauge, terrible sounding leaking exhaust, no A/C, no horsepower, no P/S, and serious concerns about whether the floorboard rust would drop me right out in my seat onto the interstate!

I've used 16 different oils in my VQ motor... Obviously I am not brand loyal
smile.gif

Just quality loyal. Which is quite easy to find these days.

Only thing I notice is a Purolator Pureone oil filter causes start up noise... can't use that filter on my car. The Purolator Boss does not have this issue.

If I am loyal to anything automotive i would have to say it would be kendall motor oil. Working for corporate Goodyear stores and now an independent Goodyear store the one constant has been kendall motor oil. Have put this in probably over thousands of cars and trucks and never have had problems with engine oiling. Kendall is a good quality oil for a very good price

Originally Posted by bbhero
I've used 16 different oils in my VQ motor... Obviously I am not brand loyal
smile.gif

Just quality loyal. Which is quite easy to find these days.

Only thing I notice is a Purolator Pureone oil filter causes start up noise... can't use that filter on my car. The Purolator Boss does not have this issue.

Careful there. Just the mere mention of that P brand on here can be treacherous.

Yeah no doubt
lol.gif

The Pureone does cause start up knock really bad... The Boss does not do that. And the red filter does not either... strange.

Interesting note... Warren Oil is making the Carquest conventional oil in my area. The 5 qt container is exactly like the one Warren Oil uses for their Coastal motor oil. While Amalie is making the full synthetic oils...

Yeah no doubt
lol.gif

The Pureone does cause start up knock really bad... The Boss does not do that. And the red filter does not either... strange.

Interesting note... Warren Oil is making the Carquest conventional oil in my area. The 5 qt container is exactly like the one Warren Oil uses for their Coastal motor oil. While Amalie is making the full synthetic oils...

That's interesting about the filters. I thought the only difference was the can thickness, the media and the outer gasket. Everything else looks the same.

We don't get Amalie oil out here on the west coast. I've heard of them though. I don't see many Carquest stores either.

Yeah it is a bit strange... I had a older yellow Purolator Pureone and it did cause that start up noise... I figured it was because it was rather old... Like 4 years old.. but I have used a Pureone of the new variety and it caused the same start up noise... The Boss does not cause this at all... One thing of note is the base plate is not correct on the Purolator Pureone... It is convex in shape. It should be concave... That may well be part of the issue. The Boss uses the correct base plate that is concave.

Manufacturers are too cyclical for brand loyalty...just when you think they're making a great car, they switch to the lowest bidder on parts and wiring harnesses and throw you for a loop.

As for oil, it's whatever Synthetic is on sale or has a rebate. Right now I'm using Pennzoil Platinum...it's on sale and on rebate. Can't beat it. Next it'll probably be Mobil 1.

But I've had great luck with Honda in the past and currently own a 2008 CRV with 130,000 miles. This is what I've done for repairs on that CRV...nothing. No out of pocket or warranty repairs. Only maintenance. I honestly kind of think of it as a new car still because it runs and drives like it. It's weird. The thing is flawless. But it's a real boring vehicle.

Last edited:
Yeah it is a bit strange... I had a older yellow Purolator Pureone and it did cause that start up noise... I figured it was because it was rather old... Like 4 years old.. but I have used a Pureone of the new variety and it caused the same start up noise... The Boss does not cause this at all... One thing of note is the base plate is not correct on the Purolator Pureone... It is convex in shape. It should be concave... That may well be part of the issue. The Boss uses the correct base plate that is concave.

You mean like this one I have on my corolla right now with no start up noise?

[Linked Image]

I prefer Valvoline but will use any oil on sale as long as it is not Sopus. Don't like GM but of if I get vehicle cheap enough I will own them. I worked at GM dealership so I know problems. I guess you can say if it is a good deal I would own it. Not brand loyal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back