Are You A Brand Loyalist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Growing up as a kid, I was raised around Fords. My dad worked on cars in the 60s, has his own autoparts store in the 70s until that chain stores moved in. Finally he worked for a Ford Motorcraft parts warehouse from 1979-2010. His personal and company cars were all Ford. He always used MotorCraft parts on his vehicles. Motor oil, filters, wiper blades, shocks, batteries, etc. His reasoning for this was two fold. He got his parts at cost and also they always worked. He believed that since the parts were designed and marketed for Ford OEM specs....they would always fit, work, and be of high quality. Are any of you brand loyal? Do you only drive a Chevy? Do you only use a certain brand oil oil or filter regardless of price?

Dad was a Dodge guy, so was Grandpa on Mom's side, and probably one reason Grandpa agreed when Dad asked for Mom's hand. But the war over oils went on my whole childhood. Dad was a Valvoline guy, Grandpa was a Pennzoil lover. Both of their 318's did fine though.
Dad switched to Ford's later on after a string of Dodge transmission problems, paving the way for me to learn that brand loyalty is a two way street, and loyalty is earned. In a way I see the logic, but Dad missed driving some of the great cars of time. Pontiac, Chevy, and Oldsmobile.
I like my Valvoline, and my Ford truck. I've got a mass of OLD Craftsman tools (from when they were real), and I look for Mobil fuel for the most part. With the internet and info available everywhere, brand loyalty has faded for the majority.

Last edited:
My list of brands is fairly small, but I'm not tied to any of them and always look at what makes sense for me before I buy.

No because all brands have their strong and weak points depending on their line-up. I do have brands that I prefer over others though. No brand is off the list completely.

Last edited:
I'm not particularly loyal to any brand but if that brand serves me well then I stick with it. For vehicles I prefer the Japanese makes, for oil there are a few brands I go with.

Some brands I just stay away from either due to bad experience or someone else's bad experience.

No a particular one, but we stick to Asian cars. No brand loyalty in the oil products though.

In the 70s in Chattanooga, old Kmart oil changes were 9 dollars,,,lol,,, whatever oil they used, can't remember..

Pretty much no " foreign " cars , except 1 .

Would have to be one heck of a deal to get me to buy a Chrysler , Dodge / Ram or Jeep .

Pretty much buy Ford or GM ( GM , mostly ) .

When I drove trucks, it was only a Ford. Cars, did not matter.

Not anymore, I was with somethings years ago eg Nokia phones but things change and most products don't get better. that being said I wont buy most newer US cars except Challenger 6.2 Hemi, Camero V8, Corvette CTS V and probably not Japanese either (a bike or Toyota truck sure), prefer Euro cars.

I but whatever fits my price range and needs.

Dad is a Ford guy and would buy my mom Jeeps. Growing up that's what I grew familiar with.

But as I have learned, Fords rust worse than anything else on the road and are significantly harder to work on than your generic GM product. And they all share parts. No two Ford trucks are built the same, even if they are the same exact spec. At least the 90s/00s stuff.

Jeeps ... well, they're not the end-all-be-all that people make them out to be.

My grandfather was a dodge man. Seemed to have good luck with them. But he never had anything newer than maybe an 85? He did buy my grandmother a 96 Ram Van 350 , but that wasn't much different than their '82 it replaced. I think the interior was largely the same. Even had a 3 speed auto! After he died, my grandmother bought a 1999 Caravan with the 3.3 and it somehow ran 250K miles on the original transmission. No one else we know ever had any luck with Chrysler.

Definitely not brand loyal, I'm running 3 different brands of oil in each of ours cars, and we've got one German, one American and one Japanese car, so you can't get much LESS brand loyal than that.
smile.gif

That being said, I will always drive a Corvette, so I am brand loyal in that way. But the other cars could be replaced with any number of makes, and they wouldn't necessarily have to be German or Japanese either.

I am somewhat brand loyal until I find a better alternative value or the brand changes for the worse. My list of brands I prefer is rather small. I've always liked Toyota, Honda for cars and Mobil 1 for oil. Reason behing they have remained consistently good for decades and you can rely on them to make a good product. With oil though, a lot has changed since I first joined BITOG. All synthetic oils are very good today. For years top tier oils were limited to Mobil 1 (retail) or boutique brands like Amsoil and Redline. With that said I would not hesitate to use any synthetic brand on the market supplied by one of the major formulating brands. I don't like poor quality with anything I buy, so my brand preferences are those that usually meet higher standards. I'm a bit of snob that way. Must be the Italian side in me LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back