Are thinner oils about fuel economy or tighter engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the US, CAFE. Honda seems to be only OE with tighter clearances - they were adamant the 1st gen Insight as well as the Civic Hybrid that followed up was to use only 0W-20, and they switched over to 5W-20 in the early 2000s before making 0W-20 standard. All Hondas, no matter where built are shipped with 0W-20 or 0W-16 from the factory.

The Euros are jumping on the thinner oil bandwagon as well. If you’re using start-stop, thinner oil gets to where it needs to go, sooner.
It doesn't. The same volume gets there at the same amount of time but at a lower pressure unless you are below the pour point. Engine oil pumps are fixed volume per revolution (other than variable pumps that often just have a bypass solenoid to allow some of the oil to flow back to the sump instead of through the engine, but even those "pump" the same amount regardless of viscosity).

Let's ignore tolerances and clearances because M1 EP 10W-30 is on "price reduction" sale at Wal-Mart.
It says 20K miles :rolleyes: ... I dump mine at 7500 miles. Not too thin, not too thick, low vm & Noack. Buy it.

If you don't have a hot running engine like a turbo especially the little ones or pulling heavy loads (trucks, etc.) or very high rpm (racing or burning rubber, teenagers, etc.), you most likely don't need a 40. And 0W is for Alaska and Canada winters. Stay away unless needed. :alien:

disclosure:
I've bought some Castrol & M1 Euro 0W-40 here and there mainly because I wanted a good 40 and they had very good sale prices. :ROFLMAO:

Tighter tolerances in manufacturing, but not tighter clearances with regard to engine specs.
To add ...

1) Engine parts clearances have basically been the same for 50+ years. I've compared bearing clearance specs and they really aren't any tighter now then 50+ years ago. They can only go so tight before a journal bearing will over heat from having too small a clearance, which can result in too small a MOFT, and that can cause metal-to-metal contact, and even more heating and eventual failure ... maybe catastrophic, like a rod through the block. A too tight journal bearing will smoke itself way faster than a too loose journal bearing.

2) As has been shown many times, regardless of bearing clearance, a thicker oil will always result in more MOFT to keep moving parts better separated.

3) The main purpose of thinner oil on the KV100 side is to create less shear drag and therefore give a bit better fuel economy, which is mainly driven by ever increasing CAFE fuel economy reqirements. And it comes with the risk of some increased long term wear, depending on the use conditions (ie, towing, high loads, high speed or track use, etc) of the vehicle vs the oil viscosity and oil temperature.

This stuff has been hashed over in every "thin vs thick" thread, lol.

Last edited:
It is about fuel economy as well as what's adequate for an engine in typical use for its typical life.
We all know that really worn out engines will still run and move the metal down the road.
We also all know that 200K is a realistic life for a typical vehicle, since most drivers are reasonable with maintenance and not BITOG level OCD.
We further all know that there is nowhere in our country where you can go very fast for very long.
We can surmise that manufacturers recommend oil grades that will improve fuel economy while still providing for 200K durability as we typically use cars in the US.
Finally, we all know that if you track a car or highway tow then a thicker grade might be wise regardless of the typical use grade the manufacturer recommends.
For typical use I'm pretty sure that nobody is opposed to better fuel economy.

Always thought it was only about fuel economy but with better manufacturing techniques and wanting better performance squeezed out of engines could it involve tighter tolerances as well?

Your thoughts?
I say both

So how big do you think oil molecules are?
Just do the experiment. Some funnels come with a screen in them, or use a paint filter, start with a low viscosity like water. Then use some nice thick gear oil. Then come back here and tell me which flows better through a fine mesh screen. I think its more the Molecules spacing than what their size is, when talking viscosity. Maybe others that are more knowledgeable can touch on that.

The clearance between my pants and my waist has been reduced, so I now drink thinner beer.

I seem to burn through it faster though….

A balancing act!

Does this mean we should use thinner beer/oil when clearance is reduced and then back to thicker beer/oil when clearance has increased?

I guess it depends on your tolerance for light beer/oil.

I settle for:
Beer with good chips.
Oil with good HTHS/MOFT. :alien: 🏁

Just do the experiment. Some funnels come with a screen in them, or use a paint filter, start with a low viscosity like water. Then use some nice thick gear oil. Then come back here and tell me which flows better through a fine mesh screen. I think its more the Molecules spacing than what their size is, when talking viscosity. Maybe others that are more knowledgeable can touch on that.
Gravity is not a positive displacement oil pump. 😄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back