Are there any DIY AC Recharge kits that don't contain sealant?

Just spoke with my mechanic. My AC is luke warm and the compressor clutch is cycling. Has been like this since last year but I didn't have the money to fix it.

He said it has a small leak and if I recharge it myself it should last me through the year.

I was looking at AC Recharge kits and they all have sealant, and I don't want to have to replace my entire ac system later down the line.

Any recommendations for sealant free R134a?

Just buy this hose/gauge kit from AutoZone and the $10 pure R-134a cans from WalMart. It will be cheaper in the long run. Similar charging hoses are ~$12 on Amazon or eBay if you are not in a hurry.

1715188465413.jpg

Just spoke with my mechanic. My AC is luke warm and the compressor clutch is cycling. Has been like this since last year but I didn't have the money to fix it.

He said it has a small leak and if I recharge it myself it should last me through the year.

I was looking at AC Recharge kits and they all have sealant, and I don't want to have to replace my entire ac system later down the line.

If your system has a leak you need the cans with sealant, unless you are going to fix the leak.

Just my $0.02

If your system has a leak you need the cans with sealant, unless you are going to fix the leak.

Just my $0.02
I would not. Sealant gums up expansion valves, compressors, everything. If he’s leaking a few ounces per year, then he is better off refilling rather than risking gumming things up with sealant.

Last edited:
I would not. Sealant gums up expansion valves, compressors, everything. If he’s leaking a few ounces per year, then he is better off refilling rather than risking gumming things up with sealant.
And you’ll also tick off the tech or shop owner. Recovery and recharge machines aren’t cheap, the sealers will destroy the valves in them. Newer machines will have an optional filter to try to protect it, and an onboard sensor to detect contaminated refrigerant.

I believe on my Volvo, a previous owner used a sealant and it clogged the little hole in the accumulator that passes lubricant on to the compressor, killing it. Also, the orifice tube was all clogged up. So I'm not a fan of sealant!

Did he check where the leak is? or this is just a verbal suggestion without checking?

Depends on the leak whether it will last a year after recharge.
If there is a hole in the system even if it is pin hole, it will empty right away since this is a high pressure system.

Cans of 134A without sealant are easily available and are what you should use.
What car is this?
Reason I ask is that both Subaru and Honda have extended warranties for bad condensers, so you might be able to get your AC fixed correctly for free, as we have with both the HAH and the Forester.
Google is your friend.

I guess you can slap in a can and see how it goes. While you don't want to use sealant you can use leak detector.

I gave up fooling with my car's A/C. To fill it properly you need to pull a vacuum and see if it holds. Then fill by weight. Adding the proper oil and amount of oil. A lot of times they reuse the refrigerant after filtering it.

If you are getting an older system repaired it's good idea to replace all the o-rings.

Cans of 134A without sealant are easily available and are what you should use.
What car is this?
Reason I ask is that both Subaru and Honda have extended warranties for bad condensers, so you might be able to get your AC fixed correctly for free, as we have with both the HAH and the Forester.
Google is your friend.
It's a 2012 Civic LX.

There appears to have been no condenser warranty extension for this year of Civic and even if there were they only applied up to ten years from date in service.
Sorry.

Back