98 Expedition AC Leaks - How Much Of this System Should I Replace?

My 98 Expedition 5.4 (250k+ miles) has a noticeable AC leak(s).
It is clearly leaking at the hoses and looks like it is leaking at the seals on the compressor. The dye is around the fitting connection on the compressor...and even that could be leaking down from the leaking hoses.
Mechanic quoted 1500.00 to replace compressor, lines and accumulator...I don't know what brands he was figuring in that quote.
As far as replacing parts, this looks like an "easy" job. I have someone who can capture and recharge refrigerant for 50.00 plus cost of refrigerant.
I am looking for another vehicle, but will probably keep this as my backup ride, and wife may have to drive this one for a while I am shopping for the next one.
End game is to stop the leak(s), and get the AC working well again without over-investng. 500.00 would be palatable, 1500.00 doesn't make sense for this vehicle.
Question now is how much of this system should I replace. Obviously the lines and the accumulator. I won't replace the evaporator unless it was absolutely necessary. I replaced the heater core twice and do not want to get into that project again.
Looks like a Motorcraft AC compressor can be had for about 250.00. (would this be same as OE?)
As the system was showing signs of leaking, the compressor was making a slight noise, but that noise has disappeared since the system was refilled. The noise was like a slight lifter type noise...just enough that I noticed something was not right, but no serious rattling.
The system has been recharged and it cools well on cool days, but takes a long time to cool on hot days.
Also no telling how much oil is in the system. Mechanics add dye when they refill, not sure if and how much oil they added.

Nothing came apart. Seals and hoses leaking. Looks like the hoses are leaking at the rusty fittings that are crimped to the hoses.

Back