2007 Dodge Grand Caravan - Rear AC Evaporator

The job was easy, as expected. The van's going in Wednesday for a recharge.

20230717_120913~2.jpg

20 and 24 mm for the smaller-diameter line, 22 and 26 mm for the larger. These are four wrenches that don't get a lot of use.

20230717_120842~2.jpg

Here are the two lines disconnected.

20230717_122435~2.jpg

Front lines capped.

20230717_125050~2.jpg

Lots of cable ties - I don't want anything flopping around.

The trusted shop has had bad luck with aftermarket rear evaporators, and so will only use genuine Mopar ones.

I suspect my rear evaporator, that failed after two years, was likely aftermarket, which is a data point confirming the shop's experience.

Now they are unable to get the fa tory evaporator, so I suppose will do block-offs until these old vans are gone.
i agree about the quality of aftermarket, but in our vans (had a 2011 Sienna and now a new odyssey) if I didn’t/don’t run the rear AC even if it’s just me in the front, the front AC doesn’t cool well because so much of the cooling is lost to the hot hot rear passenger area.

i agree about the quality of aftermarket, but in our vans (had a 2011 Sienna and now a new odyssey) if I didn’t/don’t run the rear AC even if it’s just me in the front, the front AC doesn’t cool well because so much of the cooling is lost to the hot hot rear passenger area.
Time will tell. Hoping for the best.

We'll still have the rear fan to circulate the air.

Got the van back - the tech said he was impressed with the apparent quality of the block-off plugs.

They pressure-tested the system with nitrogen, and then recharged it.

The AC works well - I'd say it's the best it's been since we got the van.

The owner refused money for the recharge, even though the failure of the rear evaporator wasn't the shop's fault.

You did the right thing. The old style compression fitting block-off kits were garbage. The style you installed is the only type I used at work, never had an issue.

Speaking of rear A/C: the worst one I had was on a mid-00's Nissan Armada. The lines for the rear A/C rotted out, and the customer actually wanted to replace them. That required unbolting the RH side of the body from the frame and hoisting it 6 inches, as the lines were sandwiched between the body and the frame.

Back