Are the days of the 10k OCI over with?

They are the ones who are pushing the automakers into all of this. Do you honestly think they would be spending tens of millions of dollars developing this problematic crap, if they weren't forced into it?

We're right back to having the government trying to legislate technology with laws and dates. With all of it based on nothing more than some stupid political agenda. And much like what they're doing with EV's and solar panels, the results are never that good, and the citizen ends up paying the price.

Everyone like to jump up and down, crying for clean air and water. This isn't the way to go about it. All it does accomplish, is to achieve votes for the administration who is pushing it.

I don't care if you're talking about cars, (CAFE), gas stoves, or electric mowers and water heaters. It's all the same crap.
Forced into it? Do you really want industrial waste being dumped into local waterways & aquifers? If the govt' didn't "force" companies to adhere to basic human decency standards we'd all suffer.

This is the same argument for coal, nothing to see here, it's perfectly clean and acceptable which is why we've been using it for decades. No sense researching new & better ways to generate energy. Vehicles can & should be cleaner & more efficient and if it wasn't for the EPA, LA would still look like most major cities in China.

Electric lawn mowers are great for a small yard, no gas needed. Heat Pump water heaters as well are great for certain climates and honestly electric ovens are 100% better than gas and cook way more evenly. I really can't grasp any of your reasoning on this.

Forced into it? Do you really want industrial waste being dumped into local waterways & aquifers? If the govt' didn't "force" companies to adhere to basic human decency standards we'd all suffer.

This is the same argument for coal, nothing to see here, it's perfectly clean and acceptable which is why we've been using it for decades. No sense researching new & better ways to generate energy. Vehicles can & should be cleaner & more efficient and if it wasn't for the EPA, LA would still look like most major cities in China.

Electric lawn mowers are great for a small yard, no gas needed. Heat Pump water heaters as well are great for certain climates and honestly electric ovens are 100% better than gas and cook way more evenly. I really can't grasp any of your reasoning on this.
Spare me. That hasn't happened since the early 70's. Look, there are ways to do this correctly without forcing these manufacturers to come up with poor solutions in a narrow time frame, that produce little to nothing except problems that we didn't have before.

Things like low tension piston rings, fuel dilution issues, and using water thin oils, just to name a few. For what amounts to a minuscule CAFE mileage increase, that you or I will never notice. And does nothing to increase service life.

No one wants a free for all, but you would think the government of all people, would have learned their lesson from the crap they forced on the automakers back in the 70's.

Which resulted in some of the worst running and performing cars this nation has ever built. Not to mention horrible fuel economy across the board. That almost put one car company out of business in the process.

My mother bought a new 1974 Chevy Nova with a 350 V-8. I drove it to Florida from Chicago, and averaged 8 to 10 highway MPG. Smog pump, spark knocking, unleaded gas and all. What did it save in pollution? That thing was tied to a gas pump.

Point being is allow these things to be developed properly in a free market over time, with a monetary incentive from the government based on success...... (Assuming that you just have to have the government involved).

Pushing demands with time and date constraints like CAFE does, never works. Look at the EV market. They can't even keep their hands out of that.

Government subsidized solar is yet another costly government boondoggle the public is having rammed down their throats, in places like new home construction in California. There is no need for any of that, other than to satisfy some stupid political agenda. They're not "cleaning up" anything.

If solar is that great, it should sell on its own, like LED light bulbs. It doesn't because it isn't... At least nowhere near yet.

We became a great country through capitalism, and as little government interference as possible in the private sector. The government produces nothing. And when they involve themselves in business, we have too often seen the result. And it's rarely if ever positive.... Just costly.

And if you want to get rid of coal, fine. But don't try it until you have something just as good or better that is cheaper.

Spare me. That hasn't happened since the early 70's. Look, there are ways to do this correctly without forcing these manufacturers to come up with poor solutions in a narrow time frame, that produce little to nothing except problems that we didn't have before.

Things like low tension piston rings, fuel dilution issues, and using water thin oils, just to name a few. For what amounts to a minuscule CAFE mileage increase, that you or I will never notice. And does nothing to increase service life.

No one wants a free for all, but you would think the government of all people, would have learned their lesson from the crap they forced on the automakers back in the 70's.

Which resulted in some of the worst running and performing cars this nation has ever built. Not to mention horrible fuel economy across the board. That almost put one car company out of business in the process.

My mother bought a new 1974 Chevy Nova with a 350 V-8. I drove it to Florida from Chicago, and averaged 8 to 10 highway MPG. Smog pump, spark knocking, unleaded gas and all. What did it save in pollution? That thing was tied to a gas pump.

Point being is allow these things to be developed properly in a free market over time, with a monetary incentive from the government based on success...... (Assuming that you just have to have the government involved).

Pushing demands with time and date constraints like CAFE does, never works. Look at the EV market. They can't even keep their hands out of that.

Government subsidized solar is yet another costly government boondoggle the public is having rammed down their throats, in places like new home construction in California. There is no need for any of that, other than to satisfy some stupid political agenda. They're not "cleaning up" anything.

If solar is that great, it should sell on its own, like LED light bulbs. It doesn't because it isn't... At least nowhere near yet.

We became a great country through capitalism, and as little government interference as possible in the private sector. The government produces nothing. And when they involve themselves in business, we have too often seen the result. And it's rarely if ever positive.... Just costly.

And if you want to get rid of coal, fine. But don't try it until you have something just as good or better that is cheaper.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yes 5w20 will be the end of times because advancements in wear coatings and bearing material weren't what a car maker was concerned with. The 70's although hamfisted were done because automakers had absolutely no reason to actually improve themselves just like the govt' had to enforce safety regulations because not one company would do it if it affected their bottom line. Breathing in non-catted exhaust with lead fuel is totally healthy. Just like the advertisements for cigarettes recommended by doctors.

The rest of your words is just inconsistent ramblings and regarding capitalism yes we may have at the cost of anyone who got in our way, this isn't the 60's and there is no cold war anymore.

There are many other things to use besides coal but politicians poison the minds of their dull witted constituents into believing otherwise. The general public is and always has been, stupid. The govt'(good part at least) unfortunately has to protect them from themselves constantly.

There are many other things to use besides coal but politicians poison the minds of their dull witted constituents into believing otherwise. The general public is and always has been, stupid. The govt'(good part at least) unfortunately has to protect them from themselves constantly.
"Many other things to use besides coal".....But yet you can't name one. Let alone elaborate. You're full of crap. Pure and simple.

You're one of those people who want the government to protect you from everything. Because you think big business is this big, horrible Boogeyman. And you believe the country would go to hell in 5 minutes without them holding your hand, and protecting you every step of the way.

You are right about one thing however. The general public is for the most part, stupid. That you've proven.

Let me guess. The government should pay for your health care, because you think it's a, "right".

I'm going to interject in this heated debate to state I just ran 10k+ on my BMW 328i, N52 engine.

This certainly isn't my norm, all other changes under my ownership have been between 5-6k. Still, I'm not losing any sleep over it. 30+ mile commute, and it sees 7000 rpm at least once a day. Oil was M1 0w40, Mann filter.

Arguably, you are both right but focusing on the wrong thing. The US govt seems obsessed with being a leader of efficiency via forced regulation and technology subsidies, sometimes at the expense of reliability, cost itself, or range (EV, DI, ridiculous turbos). Whereas other countries don’t give much because they are content watching the US spend all this time and effort but only use what matters (low cost, high payback).

Bottom line, if you don’t want to indirectly contribute to US goals, move to another country that doesn’t care.

IMG_0611.jpeg

IMG_0612.jpeg

Aye, so IOLM's are ridiculous because you don't understand the technical basis for how they operate, and this in turn prompts you to not trust them? If your plan is to come across as an overtly paranoid luddite that nobody should be taking seriously, you are doing a bang-up job.
I really don't care how they operate. I would have to be nuts to drive a newly purchased vehicle for 8 YEARS, on 2 oil changes. And if refusing to do that makes me "overly paranoid", I can easily live with your assessment.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yes 5w20 will be the end of times because advancements in wear coatings and bearing material weren't what a car maker was concerned with. The 70's although hamfisted were done because automakers had absolutely no reason to actually improve themselves just like the govt' had to enforce safety regulations because not one company would do it if it affected their bottom line. Breathing in non-catted exhaust with lead fuel is totally healthy. Just like the advertisements for cigarettes recommended by doctors.

The rest of your words is just inconsistent ramblings and regarding capitalism yes we may have at the cost of anyone who got in our way, this isn't the 60's and there is no cold war anymore.

Never mind that 20w PCMO were available going back to the 1970's.

Never mind that the SAE grade requirements have changed multiple times since then. A 20-grade oil from then is not the same as today.
Saying they've changed isn't the same as demonstrating how much they've changed.

As you can see the differences aren't all that meaningful.

Last edited:
"Many other things to use besides coal".....But yet you can't name one. Let alone elaborate. You're full of crap. Pure and simple.

You're one of those people who want the government to protect you from everything. Because you think big business is this big, horrible Boogeyman. And you believe the country would go to hell in 5 minutes without them holding your hand, and protecting you every step of the way.

You are right about one thing however. The general public is for the most part, stupid. That you've proven.

Let me guess. The government should pay for your health care, because you think it's a, "right".
I didn't know I had to hold up flash cards for the boomers in the room.

Wind, Solar(I prefer reflected heat over Photovoltaic), Hydro Pumped & Natural, Combined Cycle Gas Turbine, Geothermal, and Nuclear being the best thing we have going for us but again the public was told to fear it by their masters.

You have no idea, you really don't. I don't need the govt' and I've been warned many times the worst thing you can ever here is "I'm from the govt' and I'm here to help." Big business is and can be a big horrible boogeyman when it is not put in check as history has shown us. Those CEO's would happily kill their own mother to make a few extra bucks. The ones that wouldn't are few.

Ahh Healthcare, the one topic where you really know what the other person thinks. "I worked all my life for crappy healthcare and so should you!" Healthcare like, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is a right because they are all mutually exclusive. We know it can be boondoggled by the govt' as we've seen that but is and should be a basic right. Unfortunatley people love to use that as a stepping off point to assume what and who you stand for. So again yes it is and should be a basic human right especially for those who cry about it the most. Ya know the honey boo-boo's of the south who are in such poor health because they "want" to be.

I really don't care how they operate. I would have to be nuts to drive a newly purchased vehicle for 8 YEARS, on 2 oil changes. And if refusing to do that makes me "overly paranoid", I can easily live with your assessment.
You know there is also a time requirement that regardless on mileage it states to change it yearly.

Last edited:
I find it interesting learning about those who want to push the limits of oil change intervals. I've never been an advocate for doing so and have always operated under "oil is cheap, engines are not". I only run oil in performance vehicles to around 3-3,500 miles and normal non-gdi vehicles to 5k max. Our vehicles have never experienced any engine issues and typically run problem free (the entire family typically runs toyota products). I don't want to use my vehicles as test beds as our funds are better utilized else where.

To others on this forum, this is their hobby like fishing or hunting and I'm all for that. Having worked as a mechanic, I change our oil sooner rather than later. So for us, 10k was never even an option as it was , in my opinion, a bad suggestion.

I agree with you 💯. Us auto technicians normally do 5k OCI for a very good reason
Yeah right. “Auto technicians” like myself and other techs at my fleet do oil changes at 7,500 for GM, Jeep/Chrysler and Ram trucks. Ford is 6,500 and Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, Range Rover are 10k with full synthetic. Oh yeah: our vehicles get this from brand new to when we retire them. Guess we don’t know what we are doing eh?🤔🤔

So you haven't read your manual then.
Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 9.55.56 AM.png

And the word was overtly.

Time and time again you choose bluster and arrogance over humility and reason, and time and time again these discussions devolve into pissing matches as a result of that decision, just as this one now has. I don't expect that to bother you, because I know it doesn't, but as the lone bearer of the torch for this brutally crude crusade, ever flailing hopelessly against the tsunami of time, does the weight of this burden not ever cause you to take pause and allow the spectre of introspection, lapping tirelessly at your earlobes and whispering seductively to your subconscious, to overwhelm you, at least for a little while?

And if you do, and it does, do you not find solace in these interludes, no matter how brief they may be?

Last edited:
The Taurus is presently at 12k+ OCI and soon 13k, maybe 14k and 15k.. What's the best company to get a UOA done with? I've heard NOT Blackstone... And who would like to see?

Oil looks fine and doesn't seem to be being consumed.

Back