Are the days of the 10k OCI over with?

Do you honestly think they would be spending tens of millions of dollars developing this problematic crap
But what is problematic? I believe I read an article (here?) that showed that on average, current vehicles are much more reliable than those in the past. Folks have a false sense that what is older was better...it really wasn't.

But what is problematic? I believe I read an article (here?) that showed that on average, current vehicles are much more reliable than those in the past. Folks have a false sense that what is older was better...it really wasn't.
It all depends on what your definition of "reliable" is? Yes, they'll get you from point A to B. But I don't call oil dilution, and consumption in the process of doing it, as being "reliable".

I never had a vehicle in over 50 years of driving either burn or dilute oil. Today it seems to be rather commonplace.

Not to mention how stupid the concept is, of having it all happen under the banner of trying to achieve less pollution. That in itself makes it a sick joke.

This is a good point. A decade or two ago most of the manufacturers built their engines really tight. Both Toyota and Honda manufactured engines, that with good care could easily go 300,000 miles or more...... And didn't burn or dilute the oil in the crankcase doing it.

This is no longer the case. Low tension piston rings, along with direct fuel injection have polluted engine oil in as little as a thousand miles. Not to mention they've all gone turbo crazy, which puts even more demands on the oil in them.

There are literally dozens of Internet videos showing both severe fuel dilution of the oil, as well as gunked up piston rings, Many of them have been posted here.

On Toyota and Honda engines that used to be built tight as a drum, before all of these government mileage regulations started piling up, are now forcing the automakers to go to these new manufacturing standards of "free rotating" crankshafts, coupled with low tension rings, and direct injection.

The new game in town is to get as much power and mileage from as small of a displacement engine as possible. That is difficult, if not outright impossible to accomplish without pushing the oil in these modern engines to the max.

And there is little to no doubt the government, along with the EPA is pushing all of this to the max. They HATE anything that runs on fossil based fuels. And they couldn't care less how much the average consumer dislikes it.
I find it amazing how low-tension rings keep getting blamed. Toyota sludger engines were notorious for coking up the ring lands and consuming obscene amounts of oil, this is long before TGDI. GM had the same problem at Saturn, insufficient and insufficiently sized oil return holes in the oil control ring region.

If low tension rings were the smoking gun some folks on here keep claiming they are, then every manufacturer using them, some of which have been doing so for decades, would be having the same problems, but they aren't.

It seems wholly inconceivable for some that Honda or Toyota could bugger up the engineering on something, despite there being plenty of evidence of this happening in the past. Instead, we get the blame placed on CAFE or some other conspiracy, anything that avoids admitting that TOYONDA could ever make an engineering/design mistake.

If BMW of all marques, can manage to make a TGDI engine that doesn't dilute or use oil, one blaming CAFE should really reconsider the position they've taken on this matter.

Toyota doesn't even use a real oil life monitor, it's an Oil Life Moron, just counting mileage, while most of its peers are using complex algorithms factoring in all manner of operating parameters and conditions to determine when the lubricant should be changed.

It all depends on what your definition of "reliable" is? Yes, they'll get you from point A to B. But I don't call oil dilution, and consumption in the process of doing it, as being "reliable".

I never had a vehicle in over 50 years of driving either burn or dilute oil. Today it seems to be rather commonplace.

Not to mention how stupid the concept is, of having it all happen under the banner of trying to achieve less pollution. That in itself makes it a sick joke.
I have 3 modern vehicles with DI (see sig). None burn or consume any oil. They get a bit of minor fuel dilution that is a non-issue.

Toyota doesn't even use a real oil life monitor, it's an Oil Life Moron, just counting mileage, while most of its peers are using complex algorithms factoring in all manner of operating parameters and conditions to determine when the lubricant should be changed.
I would actually prefer a mileage only monitor. I have the "full version" on my Jeep, and that thing is ridiculous. I would never leave oil in as long as that thing says to.

It's a 2015, and I would only be on my 2nd oil change if I went by that goofy, "percentage of life left".

I would never leave oil in as long as that thing says to.
In the past, mine had me on-track for a 10K OCI. However, I recently changed my driving pattern a bit and it started dropping very aggressively. The only change was that I started making a handful of 2-3 mile trips over the last few months...plus a little bit of idling. The oil temp still gets up to 200-210f during these trips so I'm curious what other factors are driving it.

I'm now on track for a 8K OCI after 2K miles.

How many miles are on them? And what do you consider to be, "minor fuel dilution"?
Look at my signature please - all info is there.

I consider minor fuel dilution to be represented by a flash point of 380-390; BS calls his
I don't know anyone that has a vehicle that has issues with any of these in my circle of personal friends and in my dealings on social media which are quite extensive w/r to FB groups, modding forums, etc. This is interent boogieman primarily but sure, some engines seem to have some issues (Honda 1.5 comes to mind).

They are the ones who are pushing the automakers into all of this. Do you honestly think they would be spending tens of millions of dollars developing this problematic crap, if they weren't forced into it?

We're right back to having the government trying to legislate technology with laws and dates. With all of it based on nothing more than some stupid political agenda. And much like what they're doing with EV's and solar panels, the results are never that good, and the citizen ends up paying the price.

Everyone like to jump up and down, crying for clean air and water. This isn't the way to go about it. All it does accomplish, is to achieve votes for the administration who is pushing it.

I don't care if you're talking about cars, (CAFE), gas stoves, or electric mowers and water heaters. It's all the same crap.
Interesting perspective coming from someone who lives on reservoir which was paid for by the taxpayer.

Last edited:
Your rant (post 219). Just give it a rest.
IMG_4737.jpeg
Sometimes folks just need to get on the internet and make noise. Call them out and they’ll either block you or just disappear from that thread.

Everyone like to jump up and down, crying for clean air and water. This isn't the way to go about it. All it does accomplish, is to achieve votes for the administration who is pushing it.

I don't care if you're talking about cars, (CAFE), gas stoves, or electric mowers and water heaters. It's all the same crap.
Some of us, everyone I know is sick of it and their votes are not going to those pushing this nonsense. A few of their votes did go to those pushing it, they won't in 2024.

I would actually prefer a mileage only monitor. I have the "full version" on my Jeep, and that thing is ridiculous. I would never leave oil in as long as that thing says to.

It's a 2015, and I would only be on my 2nd oil change if I went by that goofy, "percentage of life left".
Aye, so IOLM's are ridiculous because you don't understand the technical basis for how they operate, and this in turn prompts you to not trust them? If your plan is to come across as an overtly paranoid luddite that nobody should be taking seriously, you are doing a bang-up job.

You're trying to compare the stupidity of CAFE, to the Colorado River dam projects? Seriously?
Yes because one could argue that there's no right to subsidized desert living. It's hypocritical. Just because you personally don't experience negative externalities doesn't mean other people don't either.

Back