Are Robotics/AI killing American Jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dlundblad,

Military training is a substitute for 2 year degree.
Most ex military we hire never touched medical equipment before.

madRiver,

Someone has to repair the robots in Amazon warehouse, not just be an order picker.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
...Someone has to repair the robots in Amazon warehouse, not just be an order picker.

...I think they are expanding their infrastructure now (Herndon,VA; Seattle, WA; Dallas, TX):
-DBA
-programmers
-AWS skills
-Cloud support associates + engineers

12-15 December, they are holding hiring events all over the country

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Unemployment is now low enough that we're starting to see increases in wages for low-skilled jobs which is in turn bringing a long awaited increase in the labor force participation rate.
Where are these job losses you speak of?
They don't seem to be here in America.
While jobs have changed, they haven't been lost.
People with skills can still do very well while the less skilled can still find full-time work.
Outside of unionized manufacturing industries, which were mainly a postwar Northern artifact, not much has changed.

Amount of jobs available depends on where you live. Also do you have transportation available to get there. There are often jobs open that many could probably learn to do but employers want experience or education as job requirements. Many of the good paying low skill jobs have left. They were replaced by lower income service jobs that are often part time and offer no benefits.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Unemployment is now low enough that we're starting to see increases in wages for low-skilled jobs which is in turn bringing a long awaited increase in the labor force participation rate.
Where are these job losses you speak of?
They don't seem to be here in America.
While jobs have changed, they haven't been lost.
People with skills can still do very well while the less skilled can still find full-time work.
Outside of unionized manufacturing industries, which were mainly a postwar Northern artifact, not much has changed.

Amount of jobs available depends on where you live. Also do you have transportation available to get there. There are often jobs open that many could probably learn to do but employers want experience or education as job requirements. Many of the good paying low skill jobs have left. They were replaced by lower income service jobs that are often part time and offer no benefits.

The graph at this site clearly shows that the number of employed people (jobs) in the U.S. has climbed steadily since post WWII. https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/employed-persons ...click on the "max" botton below the graph.

Obviously, much HAS changed. Almost all of today's households are double income. The meat and potato, low skill/high paying jobs are disappearing. One used to be able to join the workforce directly out of high school and make today's equivalent of $60K+ with full insurance and retirement benefits. So, yes job numbers have increased rather than decreased, but the nature of the jobs is much different, at least in that middle income low skill/high pay niche.

The number of jobs may have in creased, but labor participation recently was at low levels not seen since the 1970s.

Some of it is the retirement of baby boomers. However, if we are going to keep the Social Security benefits flowing, labor participation better rise, or people better start making much more money....

Originally Posted By: javacontour
The number of jobs may have in creased, but labor participation recently was at low levels not seen since the 1970s.

Some of it is the retirement of baby boomers. However, if we are going to keep the Social Security benefits flowing, labor participation better rise, or people better start making much more money....

Also, may I quote you (from my bad memory):
-I told my kids to choose a field job that cannot be outsourced

There are often jobs open that many could probably learn to do but employers want experience or education as job requirements.

Sometimes employers require a college degree simply because they can. Some union jobs in the auto industry require a college education to stack boxes in a warehouse. They get them because they pay very well and these people can make more money with the automaker than in their degreed field -- especially with overtime.

If there wasn't such an overabundance of college degrees, we'd see hiring lower their requirements for menial work.

This raises the question... how much education should someone have for lower end work?

Something along those lines. I suggested that if their chosen job can be done with a keyboard, it can be done anywhere in the world, so choose carefully.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Also, may I quote you (from my bad memory):
-I told my kids to choose a field job that cannot be outsourced

Originally Posted By: Kestas
There are often jobs open that many could probably learn to do but employers want experience or education as job requirements.

Sometimes employers require a college degree simply because they can. Some union jobs in the auto industry require a college education to stack boxes in a warehouse. They get them because they pay very well and these people can make more money with the automaker than in their degreed field -- especially with overtime.

If there wasn't such an overabundance of college degrees, we'd see hiring lower their requirements for menial work.

This raises the question... how much education should someone have for lower end work?

Decades ago, back in the seventies, I recall one associate professor saying that a four year degree was basically a work permit and that earning one would ensure that one would always find decent paying work.
I have found this to be true even though the work that I do relates in no way to my degree.
Have a look at unemployment figures for college graduates in the depths of the last recession.
They're astonishingly low.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Americans demanding the cheapest prices on consumer goods is what's killing US manufacturing.

Very difficult to compete with people overseas willing to work for $5 a day.

Imagine a $3000 iPhone built here in the USA ?
How many phones would Apple sell to these tech zombies needing an iPhone every time a new model is released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back