Are Robotics/AI killing American Jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: Kestas
So, should we go back to needle and thread instead of sewing machines, because sewing machines don't spend money like people that sew?

Depends, people used to control the equipment. Computers now can run the machines themselves.

I ran CNC lathes, VTL’s, and milling centers 4 decades ago … automation is not new ~ just taking different roles. One good news story is when the machine does the “heavy lifting” ~ (and rotates large part) that’s safer and avoids workman’s comp issues …

Not at all. It is the fact that millions of good paying middle class jobs have been eliminated by technology, automation etc. It will only continue to get worse.

There's a lot of truth to this...

"Good" jobs have been steadily "shifting lower"....
how many hairdressers, hotel clerks and convenience store employees do we really need?

Pandus13... Outsourcing is a whole another discussion about lost US jobs!

Last edited:
The "machines" are coming. Terminator movies 3 and 4 are not all that far from becoming reality. The other day in the radio I heard a guy having a conversation with a machine/robot. The upper limit of the human IQ is just above 200. There are some that suggest that these machines could well have the ability to have an IQ of up to 10,000. If that is possible.... And these machines become "self aware".... Then those Terminator movies may well not be so unrealistic. Think about this as well guys..... Someone is already thinking about how to create "soldiers" to fight in wars. The newest jet fighters can be flown without a human being in them. If we start making a army of machines because we desperately don't want to lose human lives in combat.. Well then make machines to do our fighting. This could very easily become a reality. There is no depths of depravity or evil mankind cannot go to. Machines would just be another useful "tool" in that end.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
The "machines" are coming. Terminator movies 3 and 4 are not all that far from becoming reality. The other day in the radio I heard a guy having a conversation with a machine/robot. The upper limit of the human IQ is just above 200. There are some that suggest that these machines could well have the ability to have an IQ of up to 10,000. If that is possible.... And these machines become "self aware".... Then those Terminator movies may well not be so unrealistic. Think about this as well guys..... Someone is already thinking about how to create "soldiers" to fight in wars. The newest jet fighters can be flown without a human being in them. If we start making a army of machines because we desperately don't want to lose human lives in combat.. Well then make machines to do our fighting. This could very easily become a reality. There is no depths of depravity or evil mankind cannot go to. Machines would just be another useful "tool" in that end.

It sounds like science fiction, until we see what "Robots" are capable of, right now.

Some very smart people are very concerned about AI. Some even saying on record that they foresee that AI could cause the end of mankind. Stephen Hawking and Bill Gates among them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
I read about some Countries giving its people a national paycheck.
Example: If your breathing, you receive a check to put everyone at the poverty level.
There are some articles about (pros & cons) the U.S. doing it.

We already do this for people who decide (by choice or behaviors) to not be part of the workforce. It's called welfare, among other things. IMHO, instead of just handing out the working people's hard earned money to those who choose to be leeches, we should bring back the Public Works Department like ol' FDR had. I completely understand some people are down on their luck at times and need things like unemployment, but the last time I checked...
1. There were plenty of potholes that need patching that shouldn't take someone making $25/hr
2. I just watched an 'Engineering Disasters" video that claimed 90% of our dams are earthen and eclipsing the 50-year mark. It takes lots of labor to make earthen dams...
3. There are always highways and ditches with litter that can be picked up
4. They can plant trees or flowers around their neighborhoods to beautify them and build some pride in their community.

You want/need a welfare/unemployment check? You'll get it at the end of the week after volunteering for jobs like this at your local City Hall. You don't want to volunteer? Hope you have a good personal support network! JM2C
smile.gif

I read an article that 1 robot costs the surrounding 25-mile area 7 total jobs. The carryover is huge, as one company uses robots the ripples move up and down that company's supply chain and affects the entire local economy.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Learn to fix robots so you'll never be out of work.

Adaptation and learning is what keeps you viable in today's workplace. Plenty of demand for appropriate skills. Expect to stay at same company and same skills and be the lifer good luck to you.

Until they make robots that fix robots ... and robots that fix the robot-fixing robots ...

Pretty hard to argue this point when people don't even want to work. A robot typically replaces monotonous (boring) tasks. If companies are having a hard enough time finding work (Not sure how it is for everyone else, but here it's bad.) , how in the heck are they going to find work to fill those positions. A robot doesn't take breaks, call in sick, has great work ethic etc. It's sad this is the argument I make for robotics, but it is what it is.

I've toured a few places full of automation. My most recent being the F150 plant in Dearborn. There were plenty of workers doing assembly with the robots doing heavy lifting or precise installations such as windshields.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
I seriously think people are hung up on the word "robot."

Yes, it's simply the latest media panic, and is the same in the Canadian media right now, too.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
"Good" jobs have been steadily "shifting lower"....
how many hairdressers, hotel clerks and convenience store employees do we really need?

I would agree. But, we do need a lot more physicians, for instance. Yes, medical school is much more difficult and expensive than barber school (at least for most of us, you wouldn't want me styling hair, that's for sure), but no one said the choices would be easy.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Pretty hard to argue this point when people don't even want to work.

Yes, that's our biggest problem.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

Until they make robots that fix robots ... and robots that fix the robot-fixing robots ...

Highly unlikely but possible.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I do question how much of those "savings" will be passed to the end consumer versus absorbed by corporate greed

One good example is the common car. Building one by hand, such as custom cars, costs in the range of $200K. Yet a Honda Accord can be had for $25K. Competition among manufacturers often drives the costs to appropriate levels.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: bbhero

It sounds like science fiction, until we see what "Robots" are capable of, right now.

Some very smart people are very concerned about AI. Some even saying on record that they foresee that AI could cause the end of mankind. Stephen Hawking and Bill Gates among them.

"Give any one species too much rope, and they'll f*** it up."

I feel this will be applicable not only to humans but also to the upcoming AI 'species' that succeed us, but we may not be here to witness it.

Unfortunately many of the manufacturing jobs today pay far less than they did in the past. When workers start thinking $15 an hour is good money the middle class is in trouble

Unfortunately many of the manufacturing jobs today pay far less than they did in the past. When workers start thinking $15 an hour is good money the middle class is in trouble

I thought manufacturing had unions and paid more than that.... ?

I'm non union, but employees at the same company are part of a union in manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back