Are Robotics/AI killing American Jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Unfortunately many of the manufacturing jobs today pay far less than they did in the past. When workers start thinking $15 an hour is good money the middle class is in trouble
And usually had pensions on top of those yesterday wages, so the $15/hr today is actually less when you factor in how much you would need to save of that for retirement.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Unfortunately many of the manufacturing jobs today pay far less than they did in the past. When workers start thinking $15 an hour is good money the middle class is in trouble

I thought manufacturing had unions and paid more than that.... ?

I'm non union, but employees at the same company are part of a union in manufacturing.

Not many people may know this, but recently it's been negotiated that unions now have a two-tiered wage system. We now have it where new hires make a lower wage while their senior colleagues retain their high wages. You can have two workers doing the same job, yet the younger worker may be making not much more than half the wage.

Kestas,

Yes, I'm aware of two-tiered wage system at some companies.

Luckily I'm non union but get all the old timer's union benefits and pay scale.

I thought manufacturing had unions and paid more than that.... ?

I'm non union, but employees at the same company are part of a union in manufacturing.

Union membership has continually decreased. Most places are non union. As we have seen decreases in unions we have seen the middle class stagnate. When Americans asked and fought for a piece of the pie, companies outsourced to places far cheaper that could abuse the workers and environment.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Not many people may know this, but recently it's been negotiated that unions now have a two-tiered wage system. We now have it where new hires make a lower wage while their senior colleagues retain their high wages. You can have two workers doing the same job, yet the younger worker may be making not much more than half the wage.

That's beginning to happen with pension plans, too.

Expecting to get a job that pays for a comfortable middle class lifestyle in a lower skill job is no longer an option.

Either you have to learn to live on little, or get a skill that is in demand and can not easily be exported overseas for less. Easier said than done, I know. But that is today's world.

There was a time when a union laborer could afford a nice home, decent lifestyle, and even buy a cabin up north on his earnings.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Americans demanding the cheapest prices on consumer goods is what's killing US manufacturing.

Thank Walmart for starting the trend.

There was a time when a union laborer could afford a nice home, decent lifestyle, and even buy a cabin up north on his earnings.

And only have one spouse work.

Unemployment is now low enough that we're starting to see increases in wages for low-skilled jobs which is in turn bringing a long awaited increase in the labor force participation rate.
Where are these job losses you speak of?
They don't seem to be here in America.
While jobs have changed, they haven't been lost.
People with skills can still do very well while the less skilled can still find full-time work.
Outside of unionized manufacturing industries, which were mainly a postwar Northern artifact, not much has changed.

It's just going to get worse until it gets to the point where you won't be able to tell a robot from a human.

At that point, the "working girls" will be out of a job too.

Jobs are plentiful if you have a skill set.
If you want to work you'll have a few jobs to choose from.

Sometimes I post jobs here on BITOG.

Yes I know. The extreme far end of the medical technical field that maybe 10 people in the entire world are qualified to do.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Yes I know. The extreme far end of the medical technical field that maybe 10 people in the entire world are qualified to do.

? ? ? ? ? ?

Probably seventy thousand people do this job across the USA. Half work in hospitals and the other half specialize in other areas doing field service.

I do post entry level internship positions in my region, all that is needed is a 2 year associates degree from community college.

? ? ? ? ? ?

Probably seventy thousand people do this job across the USA. Half work in hospitals and the other half specialize in other areas doing field service.

I do post entry level internship positions in my region, all that is needed is a 2 year associates degree from community college.

Or military experience in said field right? Can't say I see that too often in job postings.

It's nice you guys do that.

? ? ? ? ? ?

Sadly the folks complaining about no jobs or perception thereof lack this or 4 year degree. There is no such thing anymore of high school grad makes you viable for any decent career. It requires augmenting yourself with military(if picking up skill again not screwing around), college 2 yr min, master preferred, trades or if you are lucky prior experience.

I hear through Amazon lets you work for them with a high school degree and you can easily afford a tent.

Then the crash of 2008 came along and most places with legacy costs to sustain this type of wage/labor model like the auto industry and slapped everyone in the face. Not sustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back