Any using a CGM?

I have an employee who uses one. He seems to like it and thinks it works pretty well for him. Don't have any idea of what brand it is.

I assume people who know what it means would be the ones to respond.

Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
I work with someone who uses the patch style. Hes slightly better now but has been terrible so far taking care of business with his diabetes.
FWIW: He mentioned liking it.

I got my Nutritional doctor to prescribe a free Dexcom G7 which I got today. One sensor which I think is good for 10 days. My goal is to see how my body responds to various foods.

I am in a quest to get to insulin sensitivity. Hoping the Dexcom G7 will help me train myself.

The info on Insulin Resistance from Dr Ben Bikman is that you cannot burn fat if your insulin is high.

And they are saying BMI is no longer a good measurement to use. Better is your height should be more than 2X that of the measurement of your waist at the belly button.

I got my Nutritional doctor to prescribe a free Dexcom G7 which I got today. One sensor which I think is good for 10 days. My goal is to see how my body responds to various foods.
Don't take what I say as medical advice. Take it as food for thought and something to research and to discuss with an endocrinologist.

Excellent. It;'s a great tool for people with metabolic problems and those who want to maximize their physical performance which is largelydependent on their metabolism running at peak performance.
I am in a quest to get to insulin sensitivity. Hoping the Dexcom G7 will help me train myself.
By reducing the amount of insulin your pancreas excretes for a prolonged period your insulin receptors may regain sensitivity. You reduce insulin excretion by cutting carbs and by 12-14 uninterrupted hours of not eating with every 24 hours.
The info on Insulin Resistance from Dr Ben Bikman is that you cannot burn fat if your insulin is high.
That's metabolism 101 but not something doctors who aren't endocrinologists are aware of.

Insulin is produced in response to rising blood glucose levels. Insulin facilitates the uptake of glucose into muscle cells. If the insulin receptors have become desensitized the person has become insulin-resistant. Insulin is a growth-hormone like substance and activates the mTor pathway which facilitates muscle growth, and lipogenesis (the deposition of body fat). mTor is an anabolic process, which besides, desirable growth (think getting stronger when training) but comes at a price, which includes accelerated cell aging and the proliferation of abnormal cells.

Uninterrupted fasting 12-14 or more hours per 24-hour suppresses mTor and activates the AMPK pathway. This is a catabolic process that suppresses cell growth and encourages autophagy, a process during which the body rids itself of abnormal cells. It It is also a process during which the body derives its energy from metabolizing body fat rather than glucose.

mTor and AMPK need to be properly balanced for an optimized metabolism. The balance differed between people depending on their activity level, goals, and metabolic health.

The problem with people with metabolic disorders is that their metabolism is no longer functioning properly. That means that just starting to fast could be catastrophic in the case of a diabetic whose blood glucose levels may drop unexpectedly* to the point of falling into a coma. Or, despite eating almost no carbs they still may develop high blood glucose levels and begin suffering from ketoacidosis which can also result in severe organ damage and death. That's why it is absolutely vital that anybody who wants to take drastic steps, which can be effective, are done under supervision by an endocrinologist in conjunction with a nutritionist who specializes in metabolism disorders.

Many people think they can tell when their blood glucose drops too far because there are typically warning signs like hunger, cold sweats, dizziness, confusion, or slurred speech. However, certain medications, especially blood pressure medications can mask those symptoms and a person may unexpectedly pass out and never wake up. It's happened that people with low blood sugar were taken into custody because they were deemed drunk and they never woke up.

Another thing that is often neglected when it comes to metabolic disorders although in the current medical literature, it is becoming increasingly a topic is the importance of a healthy gut biome. The unhealthy gut biome has been linked not only to autoimmune disorders but to metabolic disorders including diabetes. Sugar and non-resistant starches along with a lack of whole foods and prebiotics are the main culprits.

Exercise: A 15-minute walk after a meal has an effect. Working out 3 times a week for half an hour has a greater effect. Uninterrupted sleep is important. There's 8 hours of your 12-14 hour fast right there. A late breakfast and an early dinner will give your body time to switch your metabolism to fat-burning as long as you remain in any kind of caloric deficit.

And they are saying BMI is no longer a good measurement to use. Better is your height should be more than 2X that of the measurement of your waist at the belly button.
I don't see how that's any more meaningful than BMI other than for the statistically proportioned human. Mostly, all you need is a mirror and maybe the unbiased opinion of strangers. Wear speedos at the local pool and watch people's reactions. :)

Back