Insulin Resistance - ready to learn something?

@Pablo ^^^
Thanks for posting, only had time to skim over the video's but will revisit this. BTW- Im halfway through the book, "Why we get sick"
Certainly OPENED my eyes to learn about Insulin resistance. Im aware of blood lipids and well aware of inflammation, actually new DR went over that with me late last year. Though mostly aware anyway.
Blood lipids I always took care of and mine are really good. ALL OF THEM.

AS much as the diet as presented in the videos are presented though, I think a general takeaway from all of this, no matter what source, is weigh what your BMI says you should weigh and what you eat is the biggest problem in our nation as a STARTING point.
Because that in itself will remove the greatest amount of risk factors. Such as ultra low lipids

Anyway, the book has me really excited to try to take things to the next level. I have one MAJOR problem and nothing can be done about it except in my Dr opinion is to try to get my LDL as low as and close as to zero as I can... my goal is 30 I have been as low as 40 something in the past. If I can do that I want to get off a low dose statin because of what I think I read, it maybe increasing insulin resistance. I think statins increase resistance.

Tough balancing act and low reading this stuff, maybe I will live long enough to get everything in place because I need to learn more about this. No known treatment yet, actually I saved a form where I might be eligible for a study... given of course by a drug company. One thing for sure I avoid taking meds if diet can make it unnecessary.
The book mentioned this ... it's a bad LDL (lack of better word, still need to learn about it) my new cardiologist tested me for it. But not often tested for, though it is changing, it's a hereditary (defect) ... so you can have great traditional lipids but as I am posting below, this is my issue.
Anyway, this stuff fasinates me and if you can win the other battles with insulin resistance, sugar and lipids... I suspect it helps.

View attachment 209973
How many days a week are you working out

I am reading books by Dr Mark Harman. They go along with the ideas Dr Bikman has stated about insulin resistance. Dr Mark Harman is an MD in the Lenox MA area. Too bad I did not know about him when I lived in NY. Lenox was close by.

One of the things in the book from Dr Mark Harman is to get (back) to real food. American society for many reasons has gone to "convenience food" made in a factory. We need to get back to real food.

Looking to start the 10 day detox diet as suggested in one of his books.

Loosing weight is a side effect. The goal is better overall health.

I am reading books by Dr Mark Harman. They go along with the ideas Dr Bikman has stated about insulin resistance. Dr Mark Harman is an MD in the Lenox MA area. Too bad I did not know about him when I lived in NY. Lenox was close by.

One of the things in the book from Dr Mark Harman is to get (back) to real food. American society for many reasons has gone to "convenience food" made in a factory. We need to get back to real food.

Looking to start the 10 day detox diet as suggested in one of his books.

Loosing weight is a side effect. The goal is better overall health.
This (real food) and hard work+varied exercise (big resistance and heart pumping aerobic) are the keys. Drugs aren't.

My BG hardly goes over 130, even with some pasta. I can eat a little cake, and maybe 150, but right back to 100 in an hour or two. I'm still working on getting into the 80's while fasting, so it doesn't end. I'm down to 165 #'s or so.

Only thing bugging me are spring allergies! Trees mostly

This (real food) and hard work+varied exercise (big resistance and heart pumping aerobic) are the keys. Drugs aren't.

My BG hardly goes over 130, even with some pasta. I can eat a little cake, and maybe 150, but right back to 100 in an hour or two. I'm still working on getting into the 80's while fasting, so it doesn't end. I'm down to 165 #'s or so.

Only thing bugging me are spring allergies! Trees mostly
I know there are better medicine than when I was in my 20's but I did allergy shots from maybe 25 to 30 yrs old and now I have no seasonal allergies that Flonase will not handle.

But I tell my wife I am allergic to brussel sprouts. (I think she has figured it out I just don't like brussel sprouts!)

How many days a week are you working out
Tough question. 1 year ago I was going to Orange Theory twice a week, coached 1 hour classes. Purpose was cardio to run my heart rate up to 160 ish before I would back off. Towards the end right before I moved I peaked at 180 which was a mistake, sort of *LOL*

However we moved to the coast of NC and the closet Orange Theory is just shy of a 30 minute drive and I never went back, even though it was free from my health insurer and that was killing me because the cost is around $119 a month that they paid for.

Anyway, the move has thrown my off the goals a little bit, sold house, had to move to apartment while new house was built, now in new house for a year and been doing a lot around here. I do a fair amount of landscaping, in fact just had over 5000 Lbs of cobbleston delivered that I am moving around installing/myself. Last year was 5,500 pounds of 50 lb cement patio slabs.
All the time I push myself, Even cutting the lawn to get my heart rate above 130 to 150 on my Apple Watch

Also have a really nice gym in our community HOA but haven't been there much. We have become addicted to pickleball and that is also a cardio workout if you get into it. Most amount we played at one time was 12 games in a row, heart rate hit 162 and easy to get above 130. Pretty much play all winter long too.

Im just saying all this to convey, trying to stay fit is hobby of mine, I have my Apple watch even record fast walking through my community, just recently got up to 3 miles and HR of 140ish. We are active but the move has thrown off the gym routine, I do plan on getting back into it, once all the work I want done around here is done and well, maybe non nice days when playing pickleball. I liked Orange Theory because it was a coached group effort. REALLY ENJOYED IT.

Im not sure as to your question though, were you thinking that I have high lipids or something? As my lipids are textbook perfect and better depending on the year, this year not as great but not one number out of normal. Except the one that nothing can be done about.

These are my results from a few months ago in 2023 and this year will be much better. The move got me distracted for a while. They are still great but not great enough for me with a family history that is terrible.
I post this stuff as it helps to remind me of my goals, and show it to my family as well. It's a hobby and keeps me in line.

Late 2023=
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.05.07 PM.jpg

2017 to 2022 - (different format and cant display like above;
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.22.47 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.10.21 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.22.36 PM.jpg

However, nothing on planet earth (YET) can be done about this below except to continue doing well above.
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 1.47.09 PM.jpg

That's a very nice drop which took place during the height of BBQ season. My HDL has historically (35-36.5) been a little low no matter how much I tried to bump it up through excercise.

That's a very nice drop which took place during the height of BBQ season. My HDL has historically (35-36.5) been a little low no matter how much I tried to bump it up through excercise.
@#18FAN

I just ran across this, regarding that last number. I really like my new cardiologist, seems like he is on his game and why he ordered that test for me, Lipo A ... looking promising even though I hate taking any meds and barely take anything .
Yeah, took me a while to get over the BBQ/Grilling thing, but I still eat burgers though I get 93/95 % lean ones and also turkey burgers.
Still ok to have steak once in a while too. Moderation ...

Thanks for your reply.
This explains more about Lipo A I would stress if ANYONE has heart disease in the family tree to bring it up with your doctor. As the article states nothing can be done about it but my Dr was right, they are on the cusp, so he ordered the test, so if it becomes approved I can get it. I can also file for a candidate for a trial but Im not really the type to want experiments. *LOL*

I just volunteered for a study... heck if it helps the younger generations and my kids all the better.

"We have good news!​

Based on your answers, you may prequalify for the study. Someone from our study team will be in touch as soon as the study opens. We will keep you updated on the status of the study, so be on the lookout for communications from us!
Thank you for completing the first part of the pre-screener for this study."

Last edited:
I should mention that Dr Mark Harman considers himself to be a functional medicine doctor. As compared to a conventional medicine doctor. I believe functional medicine is about healing the body rather than treating a bunch of individual symptoms. Compared to integrated medicine which is about using various alternative medicine (supplements). I am sure others can explain this better than I.

++From the web:

Conventional medicine typically looks at prevention as synonymous with the early detection of disease, the idea being that early detection means a higher likelihood of successful treatment. Functional medicine, however, looks for changes that can be corrected long before a disease occurs.

++end of From the web

Kind of wish I had knew about and found a functional medicine doctor 20 or 30 years ago.

Example would be someone who told me your insulin is going up, 10 years from now you might be pre-diabetic.

I was given blood pressure medicine then statin and said it would be good for you to loose some weight. Not really explained how they are all related.

Now I have visceral fat and that's the worst kind of fat.

I know there are better medicine than when I was in my 20's but I did allergy shots from maybe 25 to 30 yrs old and now I have no seasonal allergies that Flonase will not handle.

But I tell my wife I am allergic to brussel sprouts. (I think she has figured it out I just don't like brussel sprouts!)
It's nothing children's allegra doesn't stop, just hate taking it. flonase is a nasty drug to me. steroid like

I should mention that Dr Mark Harman considers himself to be a functional medicine doctor. As compared to a conventional medicine doctor. I believe functional medicine is about healing the body rather than treating a bunch of individual symptoms. Compared to integrated medicine which is about using various alternative medicine (supplements). I am sure others can explain this better than I.

++From the web:

Conventional medicine typically looks at prevention as synonymous with the early detection of disease, the idea being that early detection means a higher likelihood of successful treatment. Functional medicine, however, looks for changes that can be corrected long before a disease occurs.

++end of From the web

Kind of wish I had knew about and found a functional medicine doctor 20 or 30 years ago.

Example would be someone who told me your insulin is going up, 10 years from now you might be pre-diabetic.

I was given blood pressure medicine then statin and said it would be good for you to loose some weight. Not really explained how they are all related.

Now I have visceral fat and that's the worst kind of fat.
Great post, I couldn’t agree with you more. The medical industry lobby and food lobby will never let that happen much like the financial industry will never let it happen, teaching people when they young about the dangers of financing and the dangers of an irresponsible diet.

I myself get frustrated as I always reasonably consciously took care of myself and what I eat but yet even through this forum, I’m learning this stuff that I should have known a long time ago.
Sadly, and yet in someway, if you could call it that being the youngest in my family, I saw what diabetes and heart disease has done to my father and a sibling and I think so far anyway I’m 20 years past the age that they started having diabetes heart disease in both of them had heart Bypasses . so far I’m good but I only wish I knew and I could be better.
There is some hope for the hereditary lipoprotein, a situation and active trials are taking place right now

Threads like this make me think about the additives of sugar, and the challenges of self control.

I’m not obese, maybe a bit overweight, but according to the charts, I was overweight when I had next to no body fat, competitive college athlete, etc.

I just have such a hunger, so often.

I try to do intermittent fasting, stopping eating at night (probably too late), and waiting as long as possible in the am to start again. But then I’m ravenous. And I’ll be hungry until I fall asleep again.

It’s a tough thing to get right…

Threads like this make me think about the additives of sugar, and the challenges of self control.

It’s a tough thing to get right…
Yeah, you really have to buck the trend of what everyone else is eating and all that bad stuff that taste so good to our brains lining supermarket isle's. My wife makes fun of me, Ill hold it in my hands, (like a cake or something) and go down memory lane when that stuff tasted so good to me ... and then I put it back.

We are at war with ourselves, everyplace you go, everyplace you eat in a restaurant. It can be challenging to select healthy food from a menu. My one "safe place" with a variety of items (as far as national chains go) is Bonefish Grill. But other times, you have to go with the flow and company you are with and just do the best you can.

Food industry has the brain figured out in this day and age. Stuff is addictive, just look at the obesity numbers in the USA. Reading books like some others in here have posted, can help if you are into books and stuff. Ironically I have never been much a book reader BUT, these books have caught my attention and I find it hard to put them down and look forward to having the time to read more.

I want to live as normal as an older age as I can so far Im doing ok. I did fall off the wagon during our move to a new state this past year as far as weight and that is not good. With that said, its weight from eating too much healthy stuff not like I went back to eating garage.
At the one year mark Im back in control. Looking forward to my lipid results at the end of the year. My doctor suggested to get it as low as possible for right now being there isnt a treatment available for the Hereditary Lipo A yet but it's in trials.
I actually submitted my application to Lilly for any additional trials that may come out.

Until then, I am hoping to get the LDL to under 30 this year and 20 would be a dream. I was a bit concerned as I also test my blood glucose for fun being my health ins provider bought me the kit. I had a few tests fasting that was near or at 100 or over by single digits. At my peak healthy state 6 years ago I had it down to 70 and never got that low again.

IN case you are not aware I do have Arterial (heart disease) 20% plaque in and around my heart veins. Even with those good stats I post in Post #165 but not that last one which I can presently do nothing about.
Why I am so nuts about preventing further plaque and diabetes. Dr firmly believes if I continue this quest for a healthy diet I may never need intervention and can actually keep it at that level. I was so thrilled about the books recommended in by Pablo and Donald in here because I am trying to beat the diabete things as well. Actually the two are well connected.

Last edited:
I succumb to the real stuff from time to time. But we all can build a rock foundation with time.

1) It's not that hard to resist the REAL junk. Donuts, all fast food, bagged and boxed snacks. That you can do, and it's more than half the battle. HUGE category. Yeah having knowledge reading labels helps, but best to avoid. And a great foundation to begin the journey.

2) In between stuff - purchased breads and stuff made with real whole ingredients can be tough. I'm not talking about packaged bread like Cereal Killer Dave bread (these are in category 1 above) but rather local baked vintage/heritage breads and such maybe even made from ancient grains. These are tough for me, but if I pass on them I get stronger.

3) The largest temptress of all is also the smallest in size and volume. The calling mermaid to dash you on the rocks of your crumbling - crumby(?) foundation are homemade goodies. Even made with lowest impact sugars and carbs. You are on your own here. Good luck and Godspeed!

I succumb to the real stuff from time to time. But we all can build a rock foundation with time.

1) It's not that hard to resist the REAL junk. Donuts, all fast food, bagged and boxed snacks. That you can do, and it's more than half the battle. HUGE category. Yeah having knowledge reading labels helps, but best to avoid. And a great foundation to begin the journey.

2) In between stuff - purchased breads and stuff made with real whole ingredients can be tough. I'm not talking about packaged bread like Cereal Killer Dave bread (these are in category 1 above) but rather local baked vintage/heritage breads and such maybe even made from ancient grains. These are tough for me, but if I pass on them I get stronger.

3) The largest temptress of all is also the smallest in size and volume. The calling mermaid to dash you on the rocks of your crumbling - crumby(?) foundation are homemade goodies. Even made with lowest impact sugars and carbs. You are on your own here. Good luck and Godspeed!
You also brought up nuts before. Even snacking of stuff that’s reasonably good. Quality smoked meats, apples, nuts… that sort of thing can add up big time. Yet if starving, especially if working long hours or whatnot, it’s tough to push off.

You also brought up nuts before. Even snacking of stuff that’s reasonably good. Quality smoked meats, apples, nuts… that sort of thing can add up big time. Yet if starving, especially if working long hours or whatnot, it’s tough to push off.
Well I have time boundaries. It's 11:10AM here, have not eaten today. But I will eat after noon time or so. I may snack a little after that before my final meal before 6PM. Nothing wrong with nuts, cheese, smoked meats, a little fruit in the middle frankly.

I am to the point if I eat something late it messes me up so much, it's not worth it. Easy to pass snacks in the PM now frankly.

Time restricted eating works the best for me. Makes my liver leaner and more efficient. My hormones, including insulin work best this way.

Anyone had their Dr order a NMR or Cardio IQ blood test. The normal Lipid test is outdated.

I will ask.
Im grabbing at straws as to what that test contains. I looked up the terms online and it just shows normal Lipid panel as Cardo IQ.
I would love to know what else I can have tested besides I I wrote below/

Im very impressed with my new Cardiologist as I typed, he did the additional LipoProtein A (which is a bad LDL that nothing can be done about at the present time but trials underway) and C-reactive protein addition to the lipids panel that everyone gets.
I might have mentioned I recently signed up to be available for a Trial with Lilly on a drug for Lipo A .... got a response that I might be a good candidate based on my responses and I will be contacted if one becomes available in my area. I think they are into Phase 2 of the trials right now. I think my numbers might have to be more out of whack then they are but will see.

WAIT!!!!! I think I just found it. Seems like Quest uses the same name for a series of tests. This one is called Cardio IQ advanced. I see it contains Lipo A in it and inflammation !

With carbs one needs to look at the carb vs fiber for a given food. Red raspberries for example (good carb) 14.7 grams of carb and 8 grams of fiber. White rice (not so good carb) 53.4 grams of carb and 0.6 grams of fiber.
Most processed and fast foods are loaded with sugars. Sodas are drank as a liquid sorce rather than a treat etc . Too much sugar and processed grains are consumed.

Back