Any problem areas to look for on this '91 Grand Am?

What made you buy this?

It's a cool survivor, no different than your dad's Previa.

I love when cars that were meant to be used up and thrown away somehow survive. You see a ton of exotic cars from this era that people only drove on the weekends, but the family haulers and grocery getters are few and far between.

@ Atikovi, I looked up production numbers for the 91 Grand AM. I was surprised how many were made.
  • model year 1991 - Pontiac Grand AM LE/SE, total production - 147467 units
85-91 production was done in the Lansing Assembly plant.

How many are still on the road after over 30 years? 10%?
I would say more like less than 5%. It would be interesting to research the VIN of your car and see where it was originally delivered and where it was in the production cycle......early vs late, how many owners, states it was licensed in, etc.

As we all know, many cars are treated as appliances and are consumed and used up so speak, that fact is what makes the one you bought so unique.

On my 1990 Century the valve cover gasket would leak. Don't know if it was a bad design or because the motor takes only 3 quarts of oil and shops would overfill. Fel-Pro makes a superior valve cover gasket that is an upgrade to the OE

On my 1990 Century the valve cover gasket would leak. Don't know if it was a bad design or because the motor takes only 3 quarts of oil and shops would overfill. Fel-Pro makes a superior valve cover gasket that is an upgrade to the OE
Looks like that's been done.
Valve cover gasket.JPG

@ Atikovi, I looked up production numbers for the 91 Grand AM. I was surprised how many were made.
  • model year 1991 - Pontiac Grand AM LE/SE, total production - 147467 units
85-91 production was done in the Lansing Assembly plant.
Not bad for what if I remember right was the last year for that body style. 1992 debuted the new, more swoopy-looking Grand Am.

Weren't there a couple years thereabouts where the Grand Am was the top seller in the US? They really were commonplace for awhile.

Compared to the hideous designs of some newer models, that won't be too hard.
Interesting to see what kind of buyer picks this up. Seems like price will have to stay low for a running vehicle.

Appears to be a throwaway car as finding someone to work on a OBD-I vehicle challenging or a DIY person. I guess their are shops that do mail trucks as bread and butter.

Wish you luck, interesting relic….

Actually the passenger window won't raise to the top without help. Needs a window motor for sure.
It's likely window regulator, not motor, they are scissor type, I had to fabricate one for a 2-door '91 as couldn't find a replacement.
Also, coils are a weak spot on those engines.

Back