Any problem areas to look for on this '91 Grand Am?

Picked this up at the auction today with 76,000 miles. Has the 2.5L Tech IV engine and automatic transmission. Any weak spots to look for? Any issues with the balance shaft system that some older cars had trouble with? Looks like a simple push rod engine.

01.jpg

04.jpg

the 2.5 is a decent engine 110 h.p .
the quad 4 2.4 was the engine with bad balance shafts think it put out 180 h.p
Looks to be in really good shape on the exterior.

Great find! The only thing that I can remember about that era of GM models were the nylon tape window regulators that can fail easily. Don't fret though they are pretty easy to replace after pulling the door panel. Another minor issue was the in reservoir windshield washer pumps that can seize. The IRON DUKE engine is pretty bullet proof, and was also used in lots of Fiero 2M4s.

The Iron Duke has a micarta (plastic) camshaft gear, they have been known to shed teeth. We had one in our '88 Pontiac 6000. Fortunately, it's a non-interference engine, but dad and I had to pull the engine when it left me on the side of the road one day.

Edit: Wiki says the 1991 and later ones got a timing chain instead, so that may be a non-issue. Our engine soldiered on for 190,000 miles (90,000 after the cam gear replacment) before the tin worm retired the car.

Last edited:
Lo-tech 4! These were pretty solid so just all the usual 30+ year old car stuff. The CS alternators GM used during this time were horrid.

I had one, it was slow but solid. I dont remember the mileage, we got rid of it after my wife was rear ended. Trunk leaked after that , despite body shop attempts to seal it.

Only thing i had to do was a crankshaft position sensor. The oil filter is inside the oil pan.

Picked this up at the auction today with 76,000 miles. Has the 2.5L Tech IV engine and automatic transmission. Any weak spots to look for? Any issues with the balance shaft system that some older cars had trouble with? Looks like a simple push rod engine.

View attachment 161101

View attachment 161102
My sister had one from new and loved it. Finally got tired of it and traded it in for something else. No expensive issues I can remember her having.

Morning sickness(noisy) in the power steering. Use Honda/Acura P/S fluid.
Grand Am's were known for having lots of trouble spots back in their early days but it's been so long that I can't remember all of them. I knew quite a few folks that had them and they'd never do it again. But, that was a long time ago.
I don't think this Grand Am would be a bad car after all of these years. ATMOF, I think that example would be just fine.

However, back in 1988-89 IIRC here in NY State where we have the Lemon Law, the Grand Am alone had 360 cases of Arbitration filed against GM. All of Honda/Acura had 9, all of Toyota had 13. Other Lemon Law states were similar and just one of the reasons that we bought our first non-domestic vehicle.

Last edited:
Transmissions. Being so old, you can throw the "weak spots" idea out the window and go by overall care the vehicle has received over the years. It's in nice shape for a vehicle which was not known as being super reliable in its day.

That exact year I worked for budget rent a car. Dozens of those Pontiacs/Buicks would come in/out daily. Most white with blue interior IIRC. I can still hear the drone of the iron dukes being shuttled about. They held up, but that was back when they didn't keep them in the fleet more than a year at best.

Problem areas on a thirty year old car? all of them would be my guess.

Looks stupid clean. Not sure about it being a “score” but sure is not the run of the mill sort. Does it have the automatic seatbelts? can’t remember when they had their spot in history.

I don’t know of any problems, just came here to say that thing looks to be one of the cleanest surviving Grand Ams. If the interior is like the outside you should put it on BaT.

You'll be mistaken for a mail truck by the engine noise.

The Iron Duke/ Tech 4 was commissioned by GM to be buildable for $600. Some years put the cartridge oil filter in the drain plug for your amusement.
I still have the special tool for that filter somewhere. It's round with teeth around the outside edge.

Back