Any Members Running Monograde At The Moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I came up with the notion that an engine when shut off hot in the winter, then cooled to a very low temperature overnight experiences acid and water condensation on engine parts, causing microscopic rust to form on the cylinder walls and maybe aluminum oxide from blocks and cylinder heads.

+1
I agree with this notion as valid .......
which I believe, this phenomenon of increased corrosion wear in low temperature winter seasons .........
had been fully exploited stealthily in Bitog numerically demonstrating a TGMO 0W20 oil used over a "1 winter and 2 summer seasons" period as producing lower metal wear ppm than an M1 0W40 oil used over a "2 winter and 1 summer seasons" period .......
inferring (to my perception) that a thinner xW20 viscosity grade oil as producing lower adhesion and abrasion wear ppm than a thicker xW40 viscosity grade........
conveniently ignoring the phenomenon of corrosion wear vis-a-vis adhesion and abrasion wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Almost as if was the same one they put in the CK-4/SN Delo 400s.

With a far lower TBN.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: JasonDotcom
I am having "Toyota CF40" (SAE 40) monograde engine oil in my Kia Sorento 2.5 crdi now. It used to run with 5w-30 semi synthetics for a long time and later 15w-40 minerals.
After years gone by and mileage now 189,000KM.... I found that now it runs much better with monograde.

The climate i am in is very hot and humid all year long (22 to 40 Celsius).

A 'Toyota CF40' and most other monogrades of 1989 era is technically inappropriate for an MY200x diesel engine sold in Malaysia.
I would've opted for multigrades in an HDEO CI4/CJ4 xW40 if not a PCMO SN/SM/SL A3B3/B4 xW40 widely available here.
welcome2.gif

Anyway just to argue on that point (just a friendly debate), if i recall correctly the Sorento with D4CB 2.5 crdi engine (same engine obtained and modified from 4D56 engine) requires minimum CF grade and above. Furthermore, Toyota CF40 engine oil is widely used in dealership UMW Toyota Malaysia to service all the Hilux 7th Generation (year 2004 - 2015 non vgt variant). Only at the later stage when VGT was introduced for Hilux Malaysia that they start to use 15w-40. Considering that Hilux is so popular and used in the extreme conditions of the timber industry in Malaysia, i think it deserves some credits don't you think?

I'm sorry but I see no need for a mono grade oil in today's automobiles. You are better off 95% of the time with a multi-viscosity oil such as 5w/30 etc.

Last edited:
No need to apologize GMBoy. I'm not sorry that more than 95% of the time you don't need a multi-grade engine oil in Texas.
Especially today.

I ran nothing but monograde 30 growing up in South Texas from 1976 until 1993. Got that from my dad who stuck with monograde 30 until he died. If I still had an older style V8 or inline 6 I'd still run it.

San Antonio shows 84F at the moment with a high tomorrow of 96F. You might get a little rain tonight if those showers move west.
Someone will have to explain to me the reasoning behind "W" grades in Texas. Remember the TV show called "Father Knows Best"?
It still holds true today.

Originally Posted By: zeng
A 'Toyota CF40' and most other monogrades of 1989 era is technically inappropriate for an MY200x diesel engine sold in Malaysia.
I would've opted for multigrades in an HDEO CI4/CJ4 xW40 if not a PCMO SN/SM/SL A3B3/B4 xW40 widely available here.
welcome2.gif

Anyway just to argue on that point (just a friendly debate), if i recall correctly the Sorento with D4CB 2.5 crdi engine (same engine obtained and modified from 4D56 engine) requires minimum CF grade and above.

As mentioned, minimum CF grade for 2003-2006 2.5 diesel.
However same engine in 2006-2009 no longer recommends CF grade , but ACEA B4.

Furthermore, Toyota CF40 engine oil is widely used in dealership UMW Toyota Malaysia to service all the Hilux 7th Generation (year 2004 - 2015 non vgt variant). Only at the later stage when VGT was introduced for Hilux Malaysia that they start to use 15w-40. Considering that Hilux is so popular and used in the extreme conditions of the timber industry in Malaysia, i think it deserves some credits don't you think?

It's the Toyota Vehicles (in Hilux) that deserves credit, not Toyota CF40 engine oil in this context.
Btw,OEM recommended oil change interval for Toyota Hilux diesel engine is 5000km (3000 miles)in Malaysia ....... I consider this as a sham!
For the benefit of Bitogers, factory recommended OCI by Toyota Malaysia is 5000 km (or 3 months whichever earlier )for all current Toyota gasoline engines like Camry, Corolla, Vios etc..

Mineral,blend and fully synthetic oil appear to have similar OCI of 3K miles .... whereas the NA are talking about 10K miles OCI!
Do note Toyota SC here do recommend 5W40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alcyon
I ran a monograde last year. Fuel Consumption took a bit of a hit.

Alcyon,
Is PYB SAE30 performing well in your engine, in relation to other mineral oils ?

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I'm putting pennzoil 30wt. on a chef salad right now

Looking back at your prior posts it seems this is about as insightful as it gets.

Delvac 1330 in a 2013 5.3L 1500 SLT, 74 30 chev truck with built 355 sbc & 2013 Toyota Matrix.
Usually I run SAE 40 in my 11 Duramax, but this summer I had odds 'n ends to use up.
Often I will spike 10W30 with a dash of SAE 40 to get the HTHS around 3.7.
Chevron has done that for you with their 15W30. I'm surprised that more people haven't jumped all over that grade.
Maybe everyone is convinced that 0W40 is the end all & be all at 3x the cost. ?
I would rather change the oil 3x as often for the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back