Any experience with this tire brand ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
Looking for new rubber for my 92 Explorer 4X4. Have Bridgestone Duellers on them for the last 10+ years. Tires still have some tread, but ozone rot is apparent. It's not getting the long daily driving and trips it did 20+ yrs ago - about 2/3 on road, 1/3 off road - no rocks or mud bogging, just some primitive roads (to put it politely)to my son's place and hunting camps.

Don't want to dump a ton of money into tires, and I don't know how much longer I'll have the vehicle. Was at my local Good-Year place looking at the Wrangler and saw an 'economy' line of SUV tires that look like real dirt road & snow grippers. The brand is Achilles, and the model is the Desert Hawk A/T for @ $20, per tire less than the Goodyear. I'm always leery of bargain brands that I've never heard of. My gut tells me "go for the Goodyear", but I'm also curious about this other brand . . . after all, at one time Samsung was cheap junk, now they're one of the premier phone makers - who knew ?

http://www.achillestireusa.com/tires/suv/desert-hawk-at

I had not heard of this brand, and figured they were Chinese knock offs of Chinese [censored]. Turns out they're from Indonesia, and the company seems to have had startup assistance from both Continental and Pirelli

Anyone had any experience with these ?

Thanks in advance.

While I have also seen them, I have no experience with Achilles. However, I have to suggest THESE, if you need the 235/75 I think you do. $76 each shipped...I have used them, and was pretty impressed.

That's a great idea-retreads (that have at best mixed reviews on different sites) verses a brand new tire-even if they are off shore. I will take the brand new tires any day-unless you can find negative reviews on the tires in question. I can find plenty of negative reviews on the tread wrights-including this forum.

Looking for new rubber for my 92 Explorer 4X4. Have Bridgestone Duellers on them for the last 10+ years. Tires still have some tread, but ozone rot is apparent. It's not getting the long daily driving and trips it did 20+ yrs ago - about 2/3 on road, 1/3 off road - no rocks or mud bogging, just some primitive roads (to put it politely)to my son's place and hunting camps.

Don't want to dump a ton of money into tires, and I don't know how much longer I'll have the vehicle. Was at my local Good-Year place looking at the Wrangler and saw an 'economy' line of SUV tires that look like real dirt road & snow grippers. The brand is Achilles, and the model is the Desert Hawk A/T for @ $20, per tire less than the Goodyear. I'm always leery of bargain brands that I've never heard of. My gut tells me "go for the Goodyear", but I'm also curious about this other brand . . . after all, at one time Samsung was cheap junk, now they're one of the premier phone makers - who knew ?

I had not heard of this brand, and figured they were Chinese knock offs of Chinese [censored]. Turns out they're from Indonesia, and the company seems to have had startup assistance from both Continental and Pirelli

Thanks in advance.

While I have also seen them, I have no experience with Achilles. However, I have to suggest THESE, if you need the 235/75 I think you do. $76 each shipped...I have used them, and was pretty impressed.

That's a great idea-retreads (that have at best mixed reviews on different sites) verses a brand new tire-even if they are off shore. I will take the brand new tires any day-unless you can find negative reviews on the tires in question. I can find plenty of negative reviews on the tread wrights-including this forum.

I'm sorry...you seem to be under the misconception I want your opinion.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Did the GY Wrangler Facials come from the factory on Explorers? They were factory on CJ and YJ jeeps! If I can get my hands on an early 90s Jeep, first stop we're making is Wal-Mart for a set! Nostalgi, of course.

As for Chinese brands, in a fan of GT Radial. Focus needs new tires in the sprinf, i will also give a look at Crosswinds

I know mine came with Firestones, but I don't remember which specific ones. Sort of rotated between Bridgestone and Good-Year, depending which one was on sale at the time.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry...you seem to be under the misconception I want your opinion.

I hear the block features works real well on BITOG! If you don't like my posts...use it.

Originally Posted By: Piston_slap
Get the DOT number off of one and we'll see who makes the tire.

DOT codes Tire Manufacture

Only 831 names on the list
crazy2.gif
. . . seriously, thank you for that idea. PDF is easy to put on my phone for quick reference.

I hear the block features works real well on BITOG! If you don't like my posts...use it.

Yes, please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back