An observation: lots of off-brand summer tires in Europe?

The terminology is different between NA and Europe... Just the way it is.

Europe calls anything without a mountain symbol a summer tire because it is not legal in winter. In North America we break that down into actual summer (no M+S) and all season (M+S) tires. What Europe calls winter tires North America again breaks down into two categories - all weather and snow/winter.

Europe calls anything without a mountain symbol a summer tire because it is not legal in winter. In North America we break that down into actual summer (no M+S) and all season (M+S) tires. What Europe calls winter tires North America again breaks down into two categories - all weather and snow/winter.
exactly!

Actually, tire manufacturers designate in Europe that way too. But our friend apparently cannot distinguish between All-terrain and summer tires. No self-respected tire manufacturer sells in Europe summer tire with M+S designation. They CLEARLY distinguish that. Sellers, which he quotes, selling All Terrian tire, can put whatever they want on to sell tire. But here is the passenger portfolio on Ling Long web site says: They CLEARLY designate M+S tires as All Season tires:

Actually they do, Do you see the ☀️ (kesä) summer category. Just a exempel. Maybe you should stop with your nonsense?
By the way, Ling Long itself designates that tire as All Weather tire!

Basically, you are being nothing but dishonest in this discussion. It is really not that hard to open manufacturers web site.

Germany, and northen Europe countries
The German government does? German government says that M+S tires are by the aw, summer tire? Where does it say?
Bcs. that would be news for Michelin, Continental, Sava, Ling Long etc.
They ONLY say you cannot drive legally on tire without 3PMSF! That is it. And you know it, well, maybe.

The German government does? German government says that M+S tires are by the aw, summer tire? Where does it say?
They ONLY say you cannot drive legally on tire without 3PMSF! That is it. And you know it, well, maybe.
try to read my post, #15.

yes, i know it

By the way, Ling Long itself designates that tire as All Weather tire!

Basically, you are being nothing but dishonest in this discussion. It is really not that hard to open manufacturers web site.

It does not matter what the manufacturer calls it. AT has no legal meaning. M+S does not have a legal meaning (in the context of determining if a tyre is a winter tyre or not.)
Only tyres with 3PMSF can be winter tyres. If a tyre does not have the 3PMSF, it is by definition not a winter tyre. Not a winter tyre means it is equal to a summer tyre from a legal point of view, and will get you fined if you get caught on these in wintery road conditions (namely black ice, snow, slush, ice or slippery frost).

StVO §2 (3a):
Der Führer eines Kraftfahrzeuges darf dies bei Glatteis, Schneeglätte, Schneematsch, Eisglätte oder Reifglätte nur fahren, wenn alle Räder mit Reifen ausgerüstet sind, die unbeschadet der allgemeinen Anforderungen an die Bereifung den Anforderungen des § 36 Absatz 4 der Straßenverkehrs-Zulassungs-Ordnung genügen.

StVZO $36 (4):
4) Reifen für winterliche Wetterverhältnisse sind Luftreifen im Sinne des Absatzes 2, 1.
durch deren Laufflächenprofil, Laufflächenmischung oder Bauart vor allem die Fahreigenschaften bei Schnee gegenüber normalen Reifen hinsichtlich ihrer Eigenschaft beim Anfahren, bei der Stabilisierung der Fahrzeugbewegung und beim Abbremsen des Fahrzeugs verbessert werden, und die mit dem Alpine-Symbol
j1282-1_0010.jpg
(Bergpiktogramm mit Schneeflocke) nach der Regelung Nr. 117 der Wirtschaftskommission der Vereinten Nationen für Europa (UNECE) – Einheitliche Bedingungen für die Genehmigung der Reifen hinsichtlich der Rollgeräuschemissionen und der Haftung auf nassen Oberflächen und/oder des Rollwiderstandes (ABl. L 218 vom 12.8.2016, S. 1) gekennzeichnet sind.

It does not matter what the manufacturer calls it. AT has no legal meaning. M+S does not have a legal meaning (in the context of determining if a tyre is a winter tyre or not.)
Only tyres with 3PMSF can be winter tyres. If a tyre does not have the 3PMSF, it is by definition not a winter tyre. Not a winter tyre means it is equal to a summer tyre from a legal point of view, and will get you fined if you get caught on these in wintery road conditions (namely black ice, snow, slush, ice or slippery frost).

StVO §2 (3a):
Der Führer eines Kraftfahrzeuges darf dies bei Glatteis, Schneeglätte, Schneematsch, Eisglätte oder Reifglätte nur fahren, wenn alle Räder mit Reifen ausgerüstet sind, die unbeschadet der allgemeinen Anforderungen an die Bereifung den Anforderungen des § 36 Absatz 4 der Straßenverkehrs-Zulassungs-Ordnung genügen.

StVZO $36 (4):
4) Reifen für winterliche Wetterverhältnisse sind Luftreifen im Sinne des Absatzes 2, 1.
durch deren Laufflächenprofil, Laufflächenmischung oder Bauart vor allem die Fahreigenschaften bei Schnee gegenüber normalen Reifen hinsichtlich ihrer Eigenschaft beim Anfahren, bei der Stabilisierung der Fahrzeugbewegung und beim Abbremsen des Fahrzeugs verbessert werden, und die mit dem Alpine-Symbol
j1282-1_0010.jpg
(Bergpiktogramm mit Schneeflocke) nach der Regelung Nr. 117 der Wirtschaftskommission der Vereinten Nationen für Europa (UNECE) – Einheitliche Bedingungen für die Genehmigung der Reifen hinsichtlich der Rollgeräuschemissionen und der Haftung auf nassen Oberflächen und/oder des Rollwiderstandes (ABl. L 218 vom 12.8.2016, S. 1) gekennzeichnet sind.
And as I SAID before, that is ok.
That from performance standpoint doesn’t mean it is summer tire! I am from Europe, I am from a country that always had those laws.
AT tire is THAT, All Terrain tire, NOT summer tire. Tomorrow laws can change, but performance doesn’t!

So we both can agree that 1) an AT tyre is not a winter tyre, unless certified as such (3PMSF) and that 2) an AT tyre is not the tyre to put on something that you want to have fun with on a smooth asphalt road on a hot summer day.

I’ve been thinking about this lately, and wanted to get your input if I’m off base or not here. We travelled to Europe this past spring, and I noticed that many vehicles, more than here in the states it seemed, had off-brand tires. Perhaps they were more well known brands there that we don’t get in the states. But this seemed consistent throughout Italy and Greece that many vehicles had tire brands I’d either never heard of, or brands that I know are sub brands.

Its due to brand differences, but there is a second reason as well:

Europeans generally have less disposable income than Americans.

Back