Another Hemi bites the dust.....

Reminds me of the 5.0 in my buddy's '19 Ford F150...at about 40K milles, he had a loud ticking noise that ended up being a seized roller follower that chewed the cam lobe.

That was a 5.4 3V issue, I've dealt with it on my brother's '08 Navigator, so it was random to hear about this issue on a newer truck. Not sure if it was a one-off issue or if it's common on the 5.0.

How common is that sheared cam dowel pin issue?
I came across some info that says if you use Red Line 5W-30 oil in HEMIs, it can help prevent a bunch of valvetrain problems. Pretty neat, huh? So, if you got a HEMI and wanna keep it in good shape, give that oil a try. It might just do the trick and save you some headaches down the road.

I came across some info that says if you use Red Line 5W-30 oil in HEMIs, it can help prevent a bunch of valvetrain problems. Pretty neat, huh? So, if you got a HEMI and wanna keep it in good shape, give that oil a try. It might just do the trick and save you some headaches down the road.
Oil cant fix a metallurgy/machining issue.

Maybe the drivers beating on them? I'm surprised Chrysler even gives an engine warranty on Hellcat or higher engines. I remember reading the owners manual for a 1970 Dodge and it specifically mentions there is no warranty on the hemi engine.
What do you mean “ drivers beating on them”. That’s what they are made for. Heck, Hyundai warranties all N series cars, at track days. Veloster N, Kona N, and Elantra N, on the race track as long it is not a sanctioned race. Seems Chrysler has an issue with low quality valves, that’s Chrysler’s problem with metallurgy choice or a supplier quality control issue. With the money they charge for the cars/trucks, they have MORE than enough money built in for a top tier warranty.

Oil cant fix a metallurgy/machining issue.
I know, but it's beyond funny, not to mention absolutely ridiculous, that this old wives' tale is still floating around the net.

Heck, Hyundai warranties all N series cars, at track days. Veloster N, Kona N, and Elantra N, on the race track as long it is not a sanctioned race.
Yet the owner's manual states that your warranty is void if you race your car. What's that called when you rev the nuts of your engine at the race track?

There are enough stories out there about Hyundai weaseling their way out of warranty claim. Hyundai isn't any better than Stellantis.

Maybe Fiat's influence is now showing up.
As much as I'd love to join in the joke about FIAT's questionable quality control, that's not the main issue here. The problem is their CEO, Carlos Tavares. This man's decisions are hurting the company. He's so focused on cutting costs that he's ignoring the potential damage.

What's his strategy? He makes suppliers compete against each other to offer the lowest prices. Then he replaces some of them with cheaper ones.

Just wait and see what he'll do with electric vehicles. His approach could really harm the future of the company.

As much as I'd love to join in the joke about FIAT's questionable quality control, that's not the main issue here. The problem is their CEO, Carlos Tavares. This man's decisions are hurting the company. He's so focused on cutting costs that he's ignoring the potential damage.

What's his strategy? He makes suppliers compete against each other to offer the lowest prices. Then he replaces some of them with cheaper ones.

Just wait and see what he'll do with electric vehicles. His approach could really harm the future of the company.
Chrysler a once proud AMERICAN company....Now no more.... :confused:

Dealer tech. Used to laugh at gloves, used to stick bare hands in pails of old nasty carb cleaner. But as I got older, dry cracked,bleeding sore hands are not fun. And I'm a clean freak anyway, so much easier to stay clean.
yeah, winter is a real PITA on your hands. I worked in Detroit the first five years of my career, I remember... but then I spent 35 years working in Florida, where it wasn't nearly so bad on my hands.. I couldn't stand those latex gloves though... so I just never wore them. I would wear mechanics type gloves when doing regular suspension work though, just depended.. but when I was inside engines all day, no gloves..

Maybe the drivers beating on them? I'm surprised Chrysler even gives an engine warranty on Hellcat or higher engines. I remember reading the owners manual for a 1970 Dodge and it specifically mentions there is no warranty on the hemi engine.
You can beat on almost every euro engine without a problem. Now, they will fail later and for other reasons, but there’s no way an engine with any sporting pretenses shouldn’t be able to handle a bit of hard driving. You can get cars faster than a Hellcat with full warranties so who would buy it if it had none? If they had such little confidence in the product they wouldn’t be selling it.

Oil has nothing to do with this issue and using a particular oil is not going to prevent this from happening - it's oil - not unicorn juice.

Back