Annoying neighbor

I like the replies that refer to, "If he doesn't like it, he can move it". You can tell him that in a kind way. That way he has the ability to make it the exact way he wants it, without you becoming his, "general contractor" to boss around. (Which is what he really wants).

He's one of these guys that enjoys directing other peoples traffic. That means more to him than 12" of dirt in the wrong place. That has most likely been there longer than he has.

Because he's rude, I'd "cut" the flower bed off at the new property line and tell him that 1ft section is his problem. If he was nice then there'd be ways to help him but he seems very undeserving of help.

I am pretty sure it's on his property. As I said it's been this way for 10 or 15 years before either of us moved in.
It seems that if the bed was there long before either of you moved in, it wouldn't be possible to determine who put it there. Perhaps the side on your property "belongs" to him and you could ask him to remove it because you are tired of taking care of it for him.

In my state I think “eminent domain” would apply to this.
The guy sounds like a jerk, its a flower bed not a structure.
One day karma will hit him and he will need your help.

I am pretty sure it's on his property. As I said it's been this way for 10 or 15 years before either of us moved in.
So here is the thing. If he knows it is on his property and he allows you to maintain it for X amount of years, you could lay claim to that portion of his property. Different states have different regulations WRT this.

I don't see why this is a discussion though, if your stuff is on his property move it, he doesn't keep his stuff on your property does he?
Should be easy for you to locate the 2 property stakes and verify it yourself.

While living in town had some perks, I love living in the middle of nowhere. Currently, my nearest neighbor is about a half mile as the crow flies.

Time to have it surveyed again by a provider of your choice. If it is correct and your thing is on his property time to build a big fence at the property line on your side. And where it happens to cut through the flower bed the dirt is his problem.

While living in town had some perks, I love living in the middle of nowhere. Currently, my nearest neighbor is about a half mile as the crow flies.
I used to live way out in the country and you can still have neighbor issue. My neighbor’s dogs would get into my trash cans and pee on my chrome truck rims which were aftermarket and expensive. And his cows sometimes would get out into my yard and eat my flowers and bushes. And I think one of his dogs killed my outside cat but I cannot prove it. Could have been a coyote or something to be fair.

This won’t end with taking up the rock boarder and removing the soil to level it. He then will want new sod or grass planted. Then it won’t match. I’ve lived beside folks like this. It’s tough but developing the don’t give a darn attitude and ignoring him is about the only way. Any time he calls you out on the flower bed(s) just say: yes, I’m getting around to it in a couple of weeks”. He may decide to move on to harassing someone else about other things.

So here is the thing. If he knows it is on his property and he allows you to maintain it for X amount of years, you could lay claim to that portion of his property. Different states have different regulations WRT this.

I don't see why this is a discussion though, if your stuff is on his property move it, he doesn't keep his stuff on your property does he?
Should be easy for you to locate the 2 property stakes and verify it yourself.
This

Just get your flower bed off of his property and be done with it. If he wants grass or weeds or whatever, its on him and not you.

When I bought my property years ago the guy next door complained that the surveyor gave me 1" of his property. No kidding. I just ignored it and nothing ever became of it since there is no fencing.

My neighbor had his property lines surveyed last fall. Now he is telling me two planting beds extend about 1 foot onto his property. They have been this way for 10 or 15 years before either of us moved here. He wants me to remove the rock border on one and the dirt and mulch on both. I have maintained the entire planting bed every year. This is the same neighbor who has called the dog warden on me twice and the DSP on his other neighbor for allegedly cutting a string along the property boundary.
If this is the case 10-15 years from my understanding more or less means he's out of luck and can't do anything about it. The fence separating my parents house and the neighbor is officially 1 foot too far in on .y parents property. We like our neighbor and it's not a big deal. My parents would have had to rectify this issue upon move in way back in 1991 if they thought it was a problem.

We had a problem with our last move. We had been told that the fence between our property and the neighbour was all on our property. So when we built a boardwalk we built it right up to (and actually attached it to) the fence.

When we moved we got a legal survey and discovered that the fence was a couple of inches off the property line, and was actually on the neighbour's property. The city requires that a fence be within 7" of the property line so that discrepancy was not a problem and we got a "certificate of compliance" for our property from the city. One end of our boardwalk was literally a couple of inches over the property line.

So the day of our move our lawyer called and said there was a new problem. The lawyer for the new owner was not happy that the boardwalk wasn't entirely on our property .... with the rest unsaid. Our lawyer (who specializes in real estate) said she had never seen or even heard of such a thing. A "certificate of compliance" means that everything is in compliance with the city's requirements and that "everyone" accepts it as meaning there are no problems. She said she would take on the legal issues for $500. What followed was a year of discussions and anxiety. We eventually had to pay another $500 as "compensation". I doubt the new owner ever got any of that money.

What the new owner did was get was the neighbourhood up in arms. Our neighbour said that if the fence ever needed replacing, it was going to be right on the property line and he didn't care what that would do to the boardwalk. Another neighbour offered to bring his chainsaw over and cut the boardwalk off along the property line (which would have left one edge hanging in mid air).

What I would do in your situation:
I would tell him that you didn't build the flower bed. But you're prepared to continue to maintain it just as you have done, or at his option, he is free to maintain or remove those parts he considers to have crossed the property line.

In my state I think “eminent domain” would apply to this.
The guy sounds like a jerk, its a flower bed not a structure.
One day karma will hit him and he will need your help.
You mean squatters rights. Eminent domain applies to using the land for public's benefit by for example your government be it local, state federal and county.
Unfortunately it would cost more to pursue than the sliver of land is worth.

I’m not sure that doing ANYTHING on the neighbor’s property is a good idea… I would tell him that it’s on his property, he can do anything he wants with it-but I wouldn’t touch it!
This is the right response. It sucks that he’s a jerk but that foot of planter bed is on the guy’s property. He doesn’t need the OP to do anything with it because it isn’t the OP’s property. He’s laid out that part of the bed is on OP’s property so OP just needs to leave that part of the bed alone going forward.

Back