and so this is Christmas: What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I will have a simple meal of steaks and asparagus having done the big family gathering last night. I have a nice Merlot to go along. We are having a quiet and relaxed day and have just exchanged gifts. Watching our grandson open his gifts last night was fun.
What's on your dinner menu?

Rib Roast and Ham. Family will be here soon. We opted for no gifts this year except for the Grandkids.

Last edited:
Ham and lots of vegetables.

White and red Bordeaux.

Apple pie.

Merry Christmas and a great 2019 to all on BITOG!

In our household, Christmas Eve dinner is the main attraction, so we already had it
smile.gif
It's supposed to have 12 dishes, none of them with meat. We never actually make 12 dishes, but that's what the tradition says.

Porcini mushroom soup usually starts off the meal. We also had a mishmash of other things, including kraut-mushroom pierogies, veggie salad, fish, beets, red cabbage, eggs, cake, and some other stuff.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Prime rib, corn, both sweet and white potatoes all grown in our garden, homemade bread. Then angel food cake with a yummy orange-lemon coconut glaze, homemade black walnut-caramel candy things and a beverage of your choice. Time to Eat!

Honey Baked Ham, smashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn, rolls, sage dressing. Black Rifle coffee, tea, Cab Sauv or a cold beer.
Banana Creme and Blueberry pie for dessert.

Feliz Navidad to all USA citizens. We need to agree to disagree agreeably to get done what needs to be done in Washington. Enough with the extreme bipartisan rancor that started fifty some years ago.

Yah-Tah-Hey

And what did you and yours enjoy for dinner on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?

My traditional fruit & cheese stuffed brined rolled boneless pork loin, smoke-roasted over 100% hardwood charcoal with cherry wood for flavor just hit the smoker for our entree. My wife will make stuffing with apples, onions, and craisins in a pan, and a salad. Rosemary peasant bread and butter. For dessert, my homemade key lime & coconut pie with homemade whipped cream. We'll sit down about 7:30 PM for dinner tonight.

Happy holidays to everyone here regardless of what holiday tradition you follow - including Festivus!

Last edited:
Typical Italian mother in law feast, stuffed shells and meatballs with brasciole bread, salad, and she made about 8 oz of pasta for my 1 yr old son, overkill! Dessert was my mothers Christmas cookies, cherry or apple pie, 3 types of ice cream, and 2 gluten free options for my sister in laws. Enough to feed 2.5xs the amount of people that were there.
QuattroPetes menu sounds great, I love trying out the non traditional things. One of my sister in laws is gluten free and vegetarian, I always like trying out the new or odd combinations, surprisingly most I could definitely do without meat. I just wish it was easier to do.

Turkey and Pork, baked vegetables.

Wasted effort...should have just had ham on toast.

20181225_111312.jpg

Last edited:
Prime rib, Brussels sprouts on the stalk, tiny potatoes.

Samuel Smith's chocolate stout and organic cider.

Melt in your mouth roast beef and vedgies . A quiet little affair at my daughter's house with Sil's parents and my kids. The grandson's don't know how lucky they are to be raised in an extended family.. This is a good time of year to have a party if you have the means.
grin2.gif

Beef tenderloin from great farm near brothers and fillet mignon and homemade scalloped potatoes, asparagus, broccoli and carrots sauteed

Last edited:
Roasted turkey, Honey baked ham, apple cheese casserole, green bean bundles, cornbread dressing, cinnamon rolls, grapes & walnut spring mix salad with raspberry dressing. Dessert is chocolate cake, chess pie, sand tarts, chocolate or peanut butter fudge, Charlotte Roulage, peanut butter cookies, homemade toffee, peanut brittle ( from sister).

I get full just listing it. Wife is a wonderful cook and most items we have only at Xmas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back