Amsoil SS 5w30 (new formula) 1.5T Honda 4554mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mainia
Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: PWMDMD
Mania - I agree. The only oil-based argument I could ever see a dealship making is there was very little/none in the engine or it was so far past it’s OCI that there was black sludge at the time of they examined it.

This idea that an engine with what appears to be a normal volume of servicable oil in it that happens to have some failure will lead to a dealership interrogation of which viscosity was used or was it SN+ certified is silly IMO. They simply have no way of telling and either one of those as a cause of failure has such an astronomically low probability of being the cause compared to material defect that I just don’t see it ever being an issue.

Last I’ll say on this subject is that a dealership doesn’t have to “interrogate” the oil’s viscosity, it is visible on any and all receipts supporting oil changes. But again, if you’re comfortable with the exposure, go for it.

I had arguments with "you" attorneys. So worried that "law" will be used when the MMWA clearly protects the user in so so many cases. I have a relative who I just talked to last night who has worked at the largest Audi dealer in Minnesota. In 10 years he has worked there they NEVER have pulled a oil sample or questioned oil in an Audi motor that blow up. Again they FIRST thing they check, is it car oil, not ATF or not gear oil. If it looks like car oil it gets warrantied no questions asked, and they never pull oil samples.

Also I checked out my 2018 Hyundai Kona 1.6T and it is speced for 5w-30 and in their writings in the owners manual they wrote 5w-40is ok if 5w-30 is not available. MEANING full approval on 5w-40 to use, as it logically should. Most high perf car from Europe and some from the USA use it because it is better for high perf use case even without a turbo. The Honda 1.5 T is high perf. I bet if we look at the owners manual we would see the words if no 5-20 can be optained 5w-30 can be used and again that means FULL approval for use. Still it is a moot point since they will never reject because of 5-30 use in a 5-20 car. That is PURE FUD FUD FUD FUD.

Not a lawyer, but thanks!

But to your point, the Honda 1.5T is spec’d for 0w-20. And there are no, none, zilch, nada viscosity alternatives listed in the owner’s manual.

I’m not saying a warranty problem is likely, just that is is possible. And let’s no forget Audi is a premium brand, Honda isn’t. Have you actually dealt with American Honda? Not a pleasant experince.

well it is a conflicted situation because the concern after all is adequate lubrication...spose arguments could be coined either way...I went with my gut on this one cause I'd doubt Honda will repair an oil burner under warranty or beyond because of their foolish 0/20 spec.

None of the teceipts that i have for my pilot for oil I huy in walmart states the viscosity- pzl plat, that’s all it says

Originally Posted By: parshisa
None of the teceipts that i have for my pilot for oil I huy in walmart states the viscosity- pzl plat, that’s all it says

Yes, but they contain a product code and you can bet someone in the Honda empire knows that the WalMart product number for Platinum 0w-20 is 007161236660. So there is a way for Honda to be difficult if they choose to, or if the dealer was under scrutiny for high warranty claims. May not be likely, but the chances aren’t 0%, either...

Greetings!
People in the USA now have access to Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W40. It is a Dexos2 specific product based on global Mobil 1 ESP 0W40. It is the only oil you should ever need and especially for Honda 1.5T. It will also resolve the problem of low heater output in cold weather due to it's higher viscous friction.

* I do Not work for ExxonMobil ... but a competitor.

I’m not trying to argue your statement, but i’m just wondering what proof you have behind it?

Originally Posted By: ChemLabNL
Greetings!
People in the USA now have access to Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W40. It is a Dexos2 specific product based on global Mobil 1 ESP 0W40. It is the only oil you should ever need and especially for Honda 1.5T. It will also resolve the problem of low heater output in cold weather due to it's higher viscous friction.

* I do Not work for ExxonMobil ... but a competitor.

First time I’ve heard that a motor oil helps the heater work better. Ten pounds of salt in hand.

Well, i guess i’m in trouble using signature series in a first place since it’s not api certified. Plus wrong viscosity. It is a shame it works so well lol
No problem. just that Amsoil is so pricy for 5.000 miles. and I can't see any benefit.

I was joking. And expensive is a relative term. 40$ for an oil change that will last 6months is not a lot. I just spent 70$ for beer and liqour in costco thos afternoon. So all good on the hood.

If it really is the "first time you heard it", then I won't waste my time trying to explain it.

Google "Viscous Friction".

I was joking. And expensive is a relative term. 40$ for an oil change that will last 6months is not a lot. I just spent 70$ for beer and liquor in costco thos afternoon. So all good on the hood.

Bing Bing Bing!! We have a winner!!!

Yea, that always got me thinking. I would see guys on a fishing site I was on (general discussion area the most, talking about anything and everything) and a lot of these guys are high income guys and you see them be frugal in areas that make no sense. I want to say hey .....don't you make over a $100,000-$200,000 a year and that toy you have isn't it $70,000, and you are whining about a $100 part or upping to a better $200 part.

As for Amsoil SS in lou of Mobil 1 Extended at $30 for 5 qts. Amsoil oil change is closer to $48 IF you get a double order to get free shipping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mainia
I was joking. And expensive is a relative term. 40$ for an oil change that will last 6months is not a lot. I just spent 70$ for beer and liquor in costco thos afternoon. So all good on the hood.

Bing Bing Bing!! We have a winner!!!

Yea, that always got me thinking. I would see guys on a fishing site I was on (general discussion area the most, talking about anything and everything) and a lot of these guys are high income guys and you see them be frugal in areas that make no sense. I want to say hey .....don't you make over a $100,000-$200,000 a year and that toy you have isn't it $70,000, and you are whining about a $100 part or upping to a better $200 part.

As for Amsoil SS in lou of Mobil 1 Extended at $30 for 5 qts. Amsoil oil change is closer to $48 IF you get a double order to get free shipping.

Sorry, but you mean “in lieu of”, not “in lou of”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back