Amsoil or Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This probably has been beat to death, But I was wondering and thought I'd ask.

I know both are great oils for keeping our engines lubed and clean.
Anyone have preference? And if so, why?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: John-r
This probably has been beat to death, But I was wondering and thought I'd ask.

I know both are great oils for keeping our engines lubed and clean.
Anyone have preference? And if so, why?

Thanks in advance.

Mobil 1 is available at stores.

And, AMSOIL may or may not use Mobil 1 basestocks.

I vote Mobil, though AMSOIL is impressive. Especially for the whole extended drain thing. However, I think OTS oil is nearly as good.

And if I were to go mail order, id go Redline not AMSOIL.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
And if I were to go mail order, id go Redline not AMSOIL.

I agree with this.

But, unless we have a specific vehicle and a specific use pattern:: If you pick an oil in the recommended weight/grade from the top 5-8 manufactures, and stick to the recommended OCI--you can hardly go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Fairly impossible to answer without all the particulars. Need to know the mileage, car, engine, etc.....

No special purpose, just general oil use, lawnmower, rototiller, snow blower, standby generator.
Only thing in common here is the're all air cooled.

Fairly impossible to answer without all the particulars. Need to know the mileage, car, engine, etc.....

No special purpose, just general oil use, lawnmower, rototiller, snow blower, standby generator.

I wouldn't waste the money on expensive oil for those.

For high end equipment that you only want to change oil once a year, Amsoil holds the edge in consumer specialty oils.

If you are going to use this stuff in lawnmowers and snowblowers, you are wasting your $$ IMO. I would be using something like Quaker State Defy or the cheapest Major brand you can find and change at recommended intervals. M1 or Amsoil are wayyy overkill for these apps.

I run left over 1QTs from 5qt jugs in my Lawn Equip (ie. Truck takes 4qts, one quart gets poured into the last jug)

Have had no issues, 10w30 and 5w30 mix, once I run out then I will worry, as I use 5w/0w- 20 now

I think PP and PU are right up there also (for oil).

Now for ATF and gear oil, Amsoil is the only way to go in my mind. And I am willing to pay for the shipping to get it.

But, unless we have a specific vehicle and a specific use pattern:: If you pick an oil in the recommended weight/grade from the top 5-8 manufactures, and stick to the recommended OCI--you can hardly go wrong. [/quote]

Good advice IMHO.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
I use Amsoil in my lawn mower and weed eater

Me too! Have never used an oil that i didn't have to add in a small engine until Amsoil, i'm totally impressed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back