Amsoil Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you put it in Truck WITH 150k MILES? ...a 1988 TOYOTA 22RE?.....Also A FORD RANGER 2001 (MAZDA)100K miles////? Is it too late to start? Charlie

What are you expecting to gain from running a syn oil?
Those are nice pick ups by the way.

Originally Posted By: ceast
Would you put it in Truck WITH 150k MILES? ...a 1988 TOYOTA 22RE?.....Also A FORD RANGER 2001 (MAZDA)100K miles////? Is it too late to start? Charlie

I ran Amsoil XL and Amsoil SS in my 150,000 mile Explorer and never had an issue. I changed oil once a year.

At this point, why bother when you can get a 5 quart jug of Moil 1 for $10.88 after rebate at Walmart? If you change the oil regularly, it doesn't really matter what you use.

I was hoping to be as good to these trucks as I can...I put amsoil in the trannys about a year ago and I can feel the difference....Charlie

I put Amsoil into my old Toyota 4-Runner back in the 90's. Never ran an analysis so this is just my experience. It used to burn oil to the tune of about a quart every 1,500 miles - not so with the Amsoil. I went 3,000 to 4,000 before I added oil. Just an anecdote, but I became an Amsoil convert.

I am using the OE 0w-20 in my 98' Ranger. Everything else has Signature Series 5W-30 in them. Over 225mi on the 02' Prius so far. Blackstone is recommending to run it out to 13,000mi so far. I have used the oil since 1980. I have nothing bad to say about it but you have to justify the price by longer drains. Although I had Bonneville that quit using oil by using the product. You learn nothing unless you try it and UOA help too. Just my experience.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I have converted high mileage cars to synthetic before no problem, ...

I have also. Got a little seepage from the main seal when changing over at 105k, but that stopped within around 2500 miles and it was dry after that.

It's Love/Hate on Amsoil here, but no one has said it is not good stuff.

definitely a Love/Hate on the Amsoil here. I like it but i like Mobil and Sopus and many more try it and see, it isn't going to make them explode, run it do a UOA and decide.

Amsoil makes great products, I don't think anyone can deny that. The problem is that there are plenty of other products that work just as well, cost considerably less, and are far more readily available. I'd be much more likely to use Amsoil if I could just go to the store and buy it at a price that was competitive with M1 or other name brands.

The other issue is that Amsoil doesn't carry any manufacturer approvals. With the increased cost over other brands, it should at least carry manufacturer approvals and not just say it's "recommended" for a particular application.

The money I'm willing to give up...I was worried about leaks developing,,I talked to some guru there and he said the seal may not leak because of buildup of varnish or something from the petro oil. Then the amsoil would remove it and start a leak. I Never thought about another product as both manual trannys shifted a lot more smoothly and seemed to run cooler when towing...IN THE TOYOTA I COULD FEEL THE HEAT COMING THRU THE SHIFTER (Hit the caps lock) if I reached down towards the floor...I can tell the difference..(or else my mind wants to believe it).
I'll look at the Mobile 1 and Pennsoil as a cheaper ALT.
I'm going to read more on this forum and decide.....Thanks to all
Charlie

Morning to ya. The Pennzoil Ultra is similar to the Series oils but it is also similar in price. The M1 and the QUD will perform beautifully but at a lower OCI due to the lower TBN. The QUD having a definite price advantage.

The money I'm willing to give up...I was worried about leaks developing,,I talked to some guru there and he said the seal may not leak because of buildup of varnish or something from the petro oil. Then the amsoil would remove it and start a leak. I Never thought about another product as both manual trannys shifted a lot more smoothly and seemed to run cooler when towing...IN THE TOYOTA I COULD FEEL THE HEAT COMING THRU THE SHIFTER (Hit the caps lock) if I reached down towards the floor...I can tell the difference..(or else my mind wants to believe it).
Charlie

https://www.amsoil.com/offers/pc.aspx

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
Morning to ya. The Pennzoil Ultra is similar to the Series oils but it is also similar in price. The M1 and the QUD will perform beautifully but at a lower OCI due to the lower TBN. The QUD having a definite price advantage.

Pennzoil Ultra is not simliar to the signature series oils Amsoil has,not even close.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Charlie

https://www.amsoil.com/offers/pc.aspx?zo=515729

Please use the 515729. Thanks.

Pennzoil Ultra is not simliar to the signature series oils Amsoil has,not even close.

I personally consider Pennzoil ultra better than Amsoil signature series.

Do you really think Amsoil is better because the VOAs show higher ppm of certain elements?

You have to perfectly balance everything to score well in every aspect of the motor oils job and over loading is a sure way to take away from one category or another.

All of these aspects have to be balanced

ID1_Fig3_500_Spider.jpg

Car to elaborate ? id love to hear how it isn't even close...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back