Amsoil OE 100% synthetic group 3?

I didn't realize the new OE says 100% synthetic on the label. However is it understood that all the Amsoil are group 3 still besides Signature series?

Amsoil OE is a Group III oil and it is API Licensed (To be changed at your OEM's interval)

Amsoil XL is a Group III oil with better additives so it can go longer than the OE oil and is is API Licensed (To be changed at a maximum of 12,000 miles in regular service conditions)

Amsoil SS is a Group 4 PAO with some Group 5 Ester in it and better additives so it can go longer than the XL, It is not API Licensed. (To be changed at a maximum of 25,000 miles in regular service conditions)

Amsoil Euro can be either or a mix depending on the grade and does carry some official OEM approvals. (Changed at OEM service intervals)

All their oils are tested by an independent 3rd party lab against the specifications they say they meet on their technical data bulletins.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't see the point of the Amsoil OE line, If you are going to send money on high quality oils like Amsoil it makes sense to get the signature line for use it for what it is intended to be used for otherwise any synthetic oil will go a great job!

Originally Posted by diyjake
Honestly I don't see the point of the Amsoil OE line, If you are going to send money on high quality oils like Amsoil it makes sense to get the signature line for use it for what it is intended to be used for otherwise any synthetic oil will go a great job!

Amsoil OE is $30 USD per gallon before 25% off P.C. membership (or $24 / gallon after) and shipped to your door. It's not a terrible price but with all the rebates and sales that seem to happen in the U.S. regularly we see talked about here I would tend to agree with you on this line.

Honestly the 5w30 XL series is a sleeper oil. It is API licensed, has a great add-pack, returns excellent UOA's and it has a high HTHS not normally found in a 5w30 API type oil. (It's rated for a maximum of 12,000 miles as well)
It's also a decent price. $38 USD per gallon before 25% off P.C. membership (or $30 / gallon after).

I was actually considering running the 5w30 XL series oil instead of SS if I can't get the mileage I want out of an OCI with the SS. (UOA's pending still)

Last edited:
I think some Amsoil purchasers feel better if they see the API certs. This means they lean toward the OE and XL lines and probably why Amsoil markets these. In my opinion.

The PC membership costs money, right? So you'd have to amortize that onto the cost of the sale. Plus there is shipping unless your order meets a minimum, so that may or may not apply.

Originally Posted by kschachn
The PC membership costs money, right? So you'd have to amortize that onto the cost of the sale. Plus there is shipping unless your order meets a minimum, so that may or may not apply.

Correct... Depending on the amount of changes you do it may or may not be worth a P.C. membership or the added cost over a shelf oil.

$100 is the minimum order to ship to your door for free (at least here anyway), and so that is only a couple of oil changes at a time. Not a whole lot.

Where they really do well is the cost per mile over a shelf oil in extended drain intervals. I think that is their niche.

Last edited:
No, $100. I ordered just last month. Plus you get a rebate of so much back on your purchases. Usually pays for the membership for me.

Here is the splash page when I login showing the rebate rewards I have (I cashed them in last order) and the free shipping.

amsoil.png

Last edited:
Ultimately it probably isn't worth the cost to buy Amsoil in the states versus any other competing brand in a cost per quality perspective. That doesn't hold true for their top of the line oil if you need/want that extended drain with great protection. There is some competition now in the states in the Ravenol oils which have the group IV/V and manufacturer approvals. Then there is Red Line which I personally like but have no real justification for its use over Ravenol which I now use.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Not this again!
18.gif

This is why I dont post much anymore its like TV reruns over and over and over,same topics every day.

unless you live next to a distribution center amsoil is a waste of $$$ + still maybe so if you do. they DON'T actually state whats in their Signature oils either!!! i use their oils when they touted PAO but no more as i can go to Wallys + get a good to better than their 2 lower tier oils + if i want the really great stuff i buy Redline top oils, yes they have a group III line too but don't keep it a secret!!

Originally Posted by benjy
unless you live next to a distribution center amsoil is a waste of $$$ + still maybe so if you do. they DON'T actually state whats in their Signature oils either!!! i use their oils when they touted PAO but no more as i can go to Wallys + get a good to better than their 2 lower tier oils + if i want the really great stuff i buy Redline top oils, yes they have a group III line too but don't keep it a secret!!

Free shipping with minimum order how is that different than Amazon or Walmart?

Does XOM state what's in their M1 products? No so why does it matter so long as it performs which there is a plethora of UOAs here showing it does in both non bypass and bypass setups.

Spend the money to reverse engineer the formula and then post it here but don't make up stuff when it has been proven just by looking at their oils properties what must be inside because Group III cant have the properties that their Signature Series has if it was in fact using Group 3 and not PAO.

Overkill has stated many times that you can look at the oils properties on their data sheets and prove what it is made of to a good degree of accuracy between PAO and Group III.

Last edited:
I will say that this thread helped me learn something new. I had no idea that Amsoil XL 5W-30 has an HTHS of 3.3. That's the highest I've seen for 5W-30 outside of Red Line's 3.7.

Interesting that Amsoil is labeling the OE as 100% Synthetic.

I have been going through YouTube videos, there are some Amsoil dealers on there getting into discussions with other commenters about the difference between 100% Synthetic and Full Synthetic.

The dealers are very adamant that the 100% Synthetic labeling of Amsoil shows that Amsoil is a "true' synthetic made using group IV basestocks, whereas, the other oil companies like Mobil, Valvoline, etc.. use the labeling "Full Synthetic" because they use group III basestocks, and cannot be classified as a "true" synthetic.

Originally Posted by njohnson

I have been going through YouTube videos, there are some Amsoil dealers on there getting into discussions with other commenters about the difference between 100% Synthetic and Full Synthetic.

The dealers are very adamant that the 100% Synthetic labeling of Amsoil shows that Amsoil is a "true' synthetic made using group IV basestocks, whereas, the other oil companies like Mobil, Valvoline, etc.. use the labeling "Full Synthetic" because they use group III basestocks, and cannot be classified as a "true" synthetic.

The word is essentially only a buzzword at this point in time. At one time it might have really said something, but these days I think one really needs to look at the performance. There was a time when I was thinking Group III sold as "synthetic" was false advertising, but now it's kind of hard to get around it.

I remember back when Valvoline went crazy with a full line of "SynPower" products. Not just motor oils and gear lubes, but brake fluid. The real irony is that any generic DOT 3 uses an artificially synthesized base fluid. So essentially all brake fluids are "synthetic" by that standard. They were trying to convey a higher standard of performance though. What I remember about SynPower brake fluid was that it was labelled as being DOT 4, but the wet boiling point was close to DOT 5.1.

Originally Posted by njohnson

Total malarky. Because "synthetic" outside of Germany includes Group III, you can have 100% synthetic, full synthetic, all synthetic, total synthetic, ultra synthetic, entirely synthetic....etc on the label and it means the exact same thing.

Back