Need Amsoil Recommendation for 2010 Toyota HiHy Limited..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped reading after this. You have no clue what you're talking about.
Where is the data I asked for? If AMSOIL is superior to these "formulated to a price point" oils, then you surely must have some concrete data to back up your claim.

You might want to take a deep dive here, as "formulated to a price point" has been previously discussed. Oils aren't formulated to a price point. They're formulated to meet specifications, as @The Critic said, and to turn a profit for the blender.

A boutique blender like AMSOIL doesn't have the capability to manufacture their additives, so they buy them from a third party, like Lubrizol, Afton, etc. At most, AMSOIL can increase certain concentrations based on the additive manufacturers' specifications, but that's about it.

All of that doesn't make it a better motor oil because the life of that motor oil inside the engine is heavily influenced by the engine make/model, fuel used, driving style, and overall condition of the engine. Idling, low-revving, and short-tripping an engine obliterates the oil worse than running that engine hard.

Now that all that has been said, show me the data.

At most, AMSOIL can increase certain concentrations based on the additive manufacturers' specifications, but that's about it.
It's been said that some of the boutique oils are "yesterday's oil boosted". In some sense that is likely correct. That's not a bad thing either. It's just how it is.

Last edited:
I stopped reading after this. You have no clue what you're talking about.
Here’s an example from Mobil for toll blenders.
5W30 ACEA E4-E8 performance

Spectra Syn6 63.36%
Esterex Np343 5%
Infineum Di. 19.9
Infineum VM. 11.74

40C 76.4
100C 12.4
HTHS 3.7
NOACK 8%
TBN 16.4
CCS -30C 11,340
MRV -35C 24,300

The notion that major oil or additive companies will not publish or supply
blending examples is not true.
The above is blended to a performance level, not a price point.

Here’s an example from Mobil for toll blenders.
5W30 ACEA E4-E8 performance

Spectra Syn6 63.36%
Esterex Np343 5%
Infineum Di. 19.9
Infineum VM. 11.74

40C 76.4
100C 12.4
HTHS 3.7
NOACK 8%
TBN 16.4
CCS -30C 11,340
MRV -35C 24,300

The notion that major oil or additive companies will not publish or supply
blending examples is not true.
The above is blended to a performance level, not a price point.
Edit: You know what, it's not worth it. This is spiraling from what was original claimed, and @Tachyon refused to provide any substantive evidence to back up his claim. I'm done until he can do that.

Pre-owned, well-maintained..
June 2023 - (New to me)

• 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited
• 3.3L 6-cyl V-6
• Engine Code 3MZ-FE G

• Current odometer is 193,500 miles..
Previous oil change b-4 I purchased indicates Pennzoil 5w-20 synthetic..
I ran Amsoil Signature
Series Synthetic 5w-20 in my 2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L V-8 to 240,000 miles..
I'm hooked on Amsoil, so I checked my Highlander Hybrid owners manual which shows either 5w-20 or 0w-20..
Amsoil & Google research results:

100% Synthetic Hybrid [O-16, 0-20]
100% Synthetic High-Mileage [10-30]

Extended-Life 100% Synthetic [0-20]
Whew.. I almost don't know where to start..
Thanks for the wide range of feedback..
Thanks especially to those of you with your kind responses & recommendations..
To the one respondent, specifically who (after posting a voluminous amount of unsolicited & nonsensical information) & appears to know most of what there is to know about motor oils..
(I did try to wade through most of his response, but somewhere along the line I 😱 screamed "Uncle" & bailed out in time!)
Someone warned me to look for Amsoil-Haters..
(Oh well, "To each his/her own"..)

I treated my 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited to an oil change this weekend..
She is purring like a kitten on her new diet of Amsoil High Mileage 0W-20 synthetic..

https://www.amsoil.com/p/amsoil-0w-20-100-synthetic-high-mileage-motor-oil-hm020/

Thanks again, see you all later..
We're headed out to enjoy more of this beautiful Pacific Northwest..

Pre-owned, well-maintained..
June 2023 - (New to me)
• 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited
• 3.3L 6-cyl V-6
• Engine Code 3MZ-FE G
• Current odometer is 193,500 miles..

Previous oil change b-4 I purchased indicates Pennzoil 5w-20 synthetic..
I ran Amsoil Signature
Series Synthetic 5w-20 in my 2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L V-8 to 240,000 miles..
I'm hooked on Amsoil, so I checked my Highlander Hybrid owners manual which shows either 5w-20 or 0w-20..
Amsoil & Google research results:
100% Synthetic Hybrid [O-16, 0-20]
100% Synthetic High-Mileage [10-30]
Extended-Life 100% Synthetic [0-20]

Last edited:
Not a single formulator / blender creates lubricants to meet price points. That would be a futile exercise, given the current state of affairs. And even in the past, when the markets and the economy were more stable, they did not do so. Everyone blends for profit, and that's an entirely different approach.

Not everyone is able to get their hands on Shell's GTL, or their best materials, so they won't have nice things to say about it. Conversely, ExxonMobil will not do business with everyone, so those left out will have to get materials somewhere else. And then there are economies of scale: it costs far less for BP, Shell, XOM, Chevron, Philips, etc. to blend lubricants than your average blender, like AMSOIL. Not only can the big guys charge less, but they can even do price dumping just to stay market leaders. After all, when it comes to consumers, they don't make the bulk of their profit from lubricants, but rather fuels.

Now, I'd love to see that data showing how AMSOIL is better than others. Not everyone else, obviously, just the "bargain" brands... from Walmart (M1, PUP, Castrol, etc.)
I thought you cried " uncle" a couple of posts back. You said let's leave it at that. Apparently not.

I thought you cried " uncle" a couple of posts back.
Do not mistake kindness for weakness.

You said let's leave it at that. Apparently not.
I intended to conclude our conversation amicably. However, it appears @JustN89 had a different agenda.

To this point, he has yet to provide concrete evidence demonstrating the superiority of AMSOIL lubricants over the alternatives he downplayed. The responses I've received from @JustN89 lean more towards defensiveness rather than concrete information. It raises the question of whether this is his typical response to challenges.

@buster, @The Critic, @kschachn, and @userfriendly, thank you for your comments. You all made some excellent points.

I intended to conclude our conversation amicably. However, it appears @JustN89 had a different agenda.

To this point, he has yet to provide concrete evidence demonstrating the superiority of AMSOIL lubricants over the alternatives he downplayed. The responses I've received from @JustN89 lean more towards defensiveness rather than concrete information. It raises the question of whether this is his typical response to challenges.
You must struggle with reading comprehension. Can you quote me where I said Amsoil was superior to the alternatives? Nice strawman.

I'm still waiting for you to provide one modicum of evidence to substantiate your claims. I'll likely be waiting a long, long time.

Edit: Here, I'll remind you about when you tried to pivot and squirm out of substantiating your claim. In case you've forgotten.

Spend your money however you want. For me, there is zero value in AMSOIL products. They are, as I said, "Gucci Valvoline."
In your uninformed opinion, you mean. Seeing as you have no evidence to verify this bizarre correlation you’ve made up in your mind.
Please provide recent data showing that at least one of the main AMSOIL products will make the part of the vehicle that it's used in run longer, while minimizing wear and tear. Namely AMSOIL Signature Series motor oil, AMSOIL ATF/ATL Signature Series, or AMSOIL Severe Gear.
I never claimed it did? You're the one making unsubstantiated claims around here, which I'm assuming at this point, will remain unsubstantiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back