AMSOIL MTF or Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 75W-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
LLF-2 ATF or something? Many put In RL D4ATF or D4ATF/MTL blend but maybe Amsoil MTF better? Considering NEO but they don't appear to have anything between straight ATF or 75W90 which I'm guessing would be to thick for winter? Open to any suggestions. Diff it's either RL 75W90 or NEO 75W90.

Neo have MTF, but it's really thin like an ATF, something like 7cst@100*C.

BTW, anyone have a current spec sheet for NEO 75-90HD ?
Particularly interested in its viscosity @ 100*C and VI.
Used to use it in the race car but I'm sure it's been reformulated a few times in the last 13 years
wink.gif

Last edited:
POE is more exxy than di-ester as a base oil and possibly a bit more stable, depending on base used.

I've used RL MTL and MT90 in a few gearboxes but actually settled on Castrol Syntrans and Syntrax as I get better results.
Currently using Torco RTF in the Landy, but I think I'll be dumping it soon and trying either Motul Gear 300 (VI of 222! ) or going back to Syntrans for the winter, unless I can find some current specs on HD.

75W90 is way too thick for that gearbox.

ATF-grade fluid is what is generally called for, although I believe that MTF-LT-2 is a little thicker (more like 9 cSt). I don't have time at this moment to chase down my references though.

Redline MTL will work well unless you're in an arctic climate. I wouldn't recommend MT-90 although some use it without an issue. It is a 75W90 though and is ~15cSt.

Amsoil MTF is right on the money for viscosity. Amsoil doesn't recommend the fluid for our application (I have a 1998 E39 5-speed ZF) but based on other recommendations I'm running it now. I believe I have some shifter linkage play issues interfering with smooth shifting so I'm reserving judgement until I fully inspect or replace some parts in my linkage. I believe it's working well and I've read positive feedback from other ZF 5-speed users.

Sprintman, don't be confused. Learn your spec. Did you mean ATF, or MTF-LT# ? BMW tends to play musical fluids and suppliers. 'Or something' is difficult to cross reference, and you should know what is required prior to looking for a substitute.

The MTF-LT fluids have viscosities near, or just above, that of typical ATFs. ATF is the usual replacement viscosity for those fluids if you don't use the real deal. Some opt for thicker options.
This thread has some useful info. There's more out there but it can be hard to search for. I think there's an MTF-LT-2 VOA posted here.

Many thanks. RL 75W90 for diff then but trans still to be decided.

Right. I wouldn't be afraid to go with MTL (used it myself). I actually found MTL to shift better than any of the ATF-grade fluids used before.

I have used:

Factory MTF-LT-1 -> Redline D4ATF -> RP Synchromax -> D4ATF -> RL MTL -> Amsoil MTF

Last edited:
Now I am bl00dy7 confused. Geez need help here...s

sorry mate, they weren't recommendations for your Bimmer, just my experience in a couple of different gearboxes between RL and a few other MTF's.

Last edited:
for the miata 6spd, several have had good luck with Motorcraft Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid, it is a GL4, it has FM in it, it is synthetic (ford lifetime fill rating) and it is german (and expensive). what more could you ask for?

pn XT-M5-QS

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chiks
It is not everyday that we change transmission oil, and in the days of internet, one can order it easily like I did. It is also couple of bucks more than Redline. For 3 quarts you will pay $6 more for fluid that you will not change for at least another 50000/75000 miles. It cannot be categorized as "pricey" in these situation.

Anyway, like I said, I used redline MT90 before and NEO seems to have a better (smoother) shifting characteristics. At least in the Mazda6s 5T.

Granted I have couple of hundred miles only with NEO, so long time reporting will have to wait
wink.gif

reporting back after 14 months/30k+ of driving with the NEO.
Still shifting good. No notchiness or crunching gears.

2 thumbs up for NEO

Never run a gear lube in a manual transmission that is why MTL's are made like Redline MTL,MT90,Amsoil MTG etc.......Now that Neo would probably work great in a differential. I hope they are not still using a boat load of lead though in the NEO that just makes it a pain to do a UOA!Plus I thought NEO was insanely high priced compared to Redline and AMsoil??? Has their price ocme down?

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Never run a gear lube in a manual transmission that is why MTL's are made like Redline MTL,MT90,Amsoil MTG etc.......Now that Neo would probably work great in a differential. I hope they are not still using a boat load of lead though in the NEO that just makes it a pain to do a UOA!Plus I thought NEO was insanely high priced compared to Redline and AMsoil??? Has their price ocme down?

Come again....I did not understand this response.
The bottles of Neo 75W-90 HD says: rated GL-2 through GL-6.
My application requires a GL-5 oil.
why would I not use it?

Pricing comparison

Red Line MT90 - Quart Price: $11.50
Neo 75W90 HD - Quart Price: $12.93

I need 2.4 quarts. That amounts to $1.43x2.5 = $3.57 more.

In the whole scheme of things that is not insanely high.

wow...if this true, this is great...

NEO Synthetic gear oils

At the Le Mans 24 hours, 80% of the field used NEO lubricants. NEO oils are used and endorsed by JUN, Signal Auto, March Engineering (supplier of Indy gearboxes), as well as many F1, NASCAR, CART and NHRA teams.

NEO 100% synthetic gear oil for use in transmissions and non-clutch type differentials. Recommended for most transmissions.

http://www.splparts.com/main4/parts/Universal/Drivetrain/Fluids/default.htm

Sponsorship means nothing.
Having a fluid last on a track is a lot different then one lasting for 100k on the street.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Sponsorship means nothing.
Having a fluid last on a track is a lot different then one lasting for 100k on the street.

WHAT!!!!
the only thing you don't get on the track is cold starts and lots of low RPM shifts along with [censored] engine mounts.. .
The only thing you don't get on the street is 300F tranny temps which I'm sure the NEO can handle.

A 24 hours race is like 40,000 miles of driving in Phoenix Arizona, EASY! Personally, I wouldn't let a non-synthetic oil go more than 15,000 miles in a performance car anywyas. For a synthetic oil going into a LSD trans or AWD/FWD car with LSD, I wouldn't let it go more than 30,000 miles. YMMV but an extra $45 bones every 60,000 miles is pennies compared to a new trans or taking a loss on selling your car with a shotty transmission.

I'm going to look into this NEO stuff. My 08 Si is ready for a swap. The Honda MTF is getting notchy.

The transmission in a race car shouldn't even be compared to a transmission in a street car, nor should the drivers.

There is no comparison to a race transmission in a race to a street transmission driven daily. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back