What's better in the extreme cold than Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90?

Yuk

This past fall I did a drain and fill of Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 in my 5 speed Mazda 6. Last week when the temps got down to -40˚ the gear shift and transmission became like the Sword and the Stone... immovable.

The shifter didn't begin to move again (side to side in neutral) until temps "warmed up" to above -33˚C. I couldn't attempt to engage a gear until above -30˚C. Driving at -30˚C didn't occur until I had warmed up the engine for ten minutes.

Are there any manual GL4/GL5, 75W-90 fluids that will do better at these arctic temperatures?

You could try redline mt-90

any reason you went with severe gear instead of their 75w90 MT lube?

A lot of manual transmissions will be fine with just regular motor oil or atf even if they say to not use it if it's just for a short while but a dedicated mtf or synchro safe gear oil should typically be used.

I'm sure there are mtf's that are about as thin as ULV or you can just use a thin atf like hpl green CC that's pure pao and has a pour point down to -66c or -87f. I wish they made the teal version in CC which would be even better. I'll wait a little longer to do the first spill and fill on my 2021 escalades 10 speed. Hoping a pure pao version comes out soon by the time I'm ready to do it.

I've been using M1, ATF in manual transmissions for years. It is a great choice. 225K on my Jaguar X-Type manual, not a hint of trouble. Still shifts perfectly, makes no noise and syncro's work great. With a pour point of -51°C (-60°F) it is a great choice for Northern climates. With a VI of 170something, it's also very capable of handling extreme heat without trouble.

Interestingly, Royal Purple's "Syncromax" MTF has nearly identical specs to M1, ATF, and works equally well. Either will provide a great shifting experience in nearly all temps.

I can vouch for the fact that if Amsoil was too stiff for you in the cold, avoid Motul Gear 300. It was better than some of the alternatives with less-impressive pour points, but the first 4-5 engagements of the day when mercury was in the negative always required a healthy push and lots of patience.

This past fall I did a drain and fill of Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 in my 5 speed Mazda 6. Last week when the temps got down to -40˚ the gear shift and transmission became like the Sword and the Stone... immovable.

The shifter didn't begin to move again (side to side in neutral) until temps "warmed up" to above -33˚C. I couldn't attempt to engage a gear until above -30˚C. Driving at -30˚C didn't occur until I had warmed up the engine for ten minutes.

Are there any manual GL4/GL5, 75W-90 fluids that will do better at these arctic temperatures?
Can it use ATF? I run it in my BMW manual Redline D4.

Amsoil MTF

I used Redline MT-90 in 2 different vehicles and it sucked when temps dropped below 20F. Felt like shifting through mud. A couple of times I had to hit the shifter hard to break it free.

OP are you sure a 75w-90 differential gear oil is correct for your transmission? Maybe it is, but if what is arguably the best one out there isn’t working, something is perhaps awry, and that may be the spec and product you’re using…
I'm coming to the conclusion that I was given bad advice. I ordered it because that's what Amsoil customer service told me was the best product for my application.

Last edited:
So, you are saying I should have used MTGPK? Any ideas as to why Amsoil customer service said I should use SVGPK?
Both are spec'd to work via Mazda...........well wait are there two 5 speeds?
G35M-R (5-SPD) and A65M-R (5-SPD)?

What engine do you have?

I would not have recommended SVG due to your location and MTG just works better in MT's. BUT...........see questions

Both are spec'd to work via Mazda...........well wait are there two 5 speeds?
G35M-R (5-SPD) and A65M-R (5-SPD)?

What engine do you have?

I would not have recommended SVG due to your location and MTG just works better in MT's. BUT...........see questions
Don't know which 5 speed, but the engine is the normally aspirated 2.3L.

Mazda offered both, but MTG will work in both and absolutely better in cold. Maybe the tech didn't think deeply about your location. In super hot places, where never cold 75W-110 recommended, but at your winter temps MTG
Thanks! Will Amsoil accept returns/exchanges? I still have 6 quarts I now won't be using.

Back