AMSOIL MTF or Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 75W-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't the MT-90 also work? I believe its a 70w90 transmission fluid.

I'd stick with either the MT-90 or the MTG.

Its a coin toss between Redline MT90, Amsoil MTG, or even Ford's 75w90 fluid.

MTL, MTF... are too thin, especially in your location.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Its a coin toss between Redline MT90, Amsoil MTG, or even Ford's 75w90 fluid.

MTL, MTF... are too thin, especially in your location.

How about Neo Synthetic 75W90 HD

75w90hd.gif

Last edited:
Redine MT90 or Amsoil MTG
But the thinner lubes may work great, also. I don't think it's a deal killer just because at certain temps it is a bit thinner. Additives are the real key factor.
In other words, a common dino 75-90 gear oil with marginal additives meets the specifications. But a full synthetic slightly lighter gear oil with excellent add packs and more stability and shear resistance does not. But which is the better oil? Which would you rather have in your gear box?

Finally went with NEO 75W-90 HD.

First Impression: Shifts are faster & smoother than Redline, even when cold.

I am up for xfer trans and both pumkins to be replaced with fuild.

I was wanting to use Amsoil server gear 75w90 in all applications. but now i see this MTG lube. Any reason I should use this in my transmission over server gear.

My main reason for going server gear for all is the price break on a case. I know I can find uses for 4 extra quarts of gear oil.

My owner book calls for 75-90 gl-4 or gl-5 for everything excpet the rear pumpkin that calls out straight 90.
\
05 tacoma V6 4x4 dc.

I've felt Neo 75w90 in several manuals. Not a bad fluid. Hard to find and pricey.

I can get RP, RL, Ams just about anywhere. MTG and MT90 are easy to recommend in any manual tranny requiring 90wt GL4 or GL5 fluid.

It is not everyday that we change transmission oil, and in the days of internet, one can order it easily like I did. It is also couple of bucks more than Redline. For 3 quarts you will pay $6 more for fluid that you will not change for at least another 50000/75000 miles. It cannot be categorized as "pricey" in these situation.

Anyway, like I said, I used redline MT90 before and NEO seems to have a better (smoother) shifting characteristics. At least in the Mazda6s 5T.

Granted I have couple of hundred miles only with NEO, so long time reporting will have to wait
wink.gif

Went with Amsoil SVG. I have 5qts overstock.

for 60K the Xfer case oil looked the best (looked new) then the trans (slight brown with light metal) front and rear pumpkins were black w/ metal.

Gear oil still stinks, old shirt in the trash.

So far I the truck appears to run a little quieter (24 post drive vs same 24 mil pre).

those hand pump save all kinds of time.

Originally Posted By: cos
chiks,

Which Redline did you have in there and how many miles were on it?

Redline MT-90 and had 70,000 miles on it. Highway miles 80% of them.

Gregory, if the Severe Gear 75W-90 is shifting well in your gearbox, well then, great! I have not used that lube in a gearbox since it is a hypoid lube and has some limited slip friction modifier built into it, IIRC. I did switch an older Ford Ranger gearbox from the recommended 10W-40 engine oil to the MTG and am I am enjoying improved shifts, especially when cold in the morning. The correct coefficient of friction for syncronizers is what is needed in a gearbox lube, IMO. I have used (GL4) Redline MT-90 in other apps, but now I like these newer Amsoil fluids very well.

LLF-2 ATF or something? Many put In RL D4ATF or D4ATF/MTL blend but maybe Amsoil MTF better? Considering NEO but they don't appear to have anything between straight ATF or 75W90 which I'm guessing would be to thick for winter? Open to any suggestions. Diff it's either RL 75W90 or NEO 75W90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back