Amsoil claims M1 is group IV and GC is Grp III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not see this posted any where else, and I thought it was interesting. As of December of 07:

Quote:
As more and more large oil companies switched their "synthetic" motor oils to the less expensive/more profitable Group III (3) base stocks it has become much easier to identify which are PAO based true synthetic. Of the large oil companies, only Mobil 1, as of this writing (12-15-2007), is still a PAO based true synthetic. The rest, including Castrol Syntec, have switched to the cheaper/more profitable Group III (3) petroleum based "synthetic" motor oil. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils are PAO based true synthetic motor oils with the exception of the short oil drain XL-7500 synthetic motor oils sold at some Auto Parts Stores and Quick Oil Change Centers. This leaves more than 20 PAO based true synthetic motor oils manufactured and marketed by AMSOIL with only 4 Group III (3) based synthetic motor oils identified by the "XL-7500" product name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I don't they are referring to GC, but all the other syntecs.

GC says Castrol Syntec on the bottle. Maybe the wanted to leave it out, but they did not specify.

It may say Syntec on the bottle, but GC is unique in the lineup of Syntec oils. Only BITOG'ers know it as GC. It has been well accepted for a long time that all other weights of Syntec in NA are GIII.

Now, about that website. That is a dealer website, and while detailed, does not appear to be a direct quote from Amsoil. Just another dealer with a lot of words. I'm sure there are lots of links there to official Amsoil websites.
However, People here pretty much know by now (or at least know it is highly likely) that not all of Mobil's oils are majority based PAO's anymore either.

It's understandable how Amsoil never has anything unpleasant to say about Mobil-1.... since it purchases alot of base oil from them. Did you notice there's no mention of any other PAO oil brands?

I really like Amsoil the oil... but not the company leadership. So much of their research presentations are either misleading - or purposely narrow-minded.

Quote:
I really like Amsoil the oil... but not the company leadership. So much of their research presentations are either misleading - or purposely narrow-minded.

It would be nice if they dropped the 4-ball wear test IMO. It's a grease test.

I don't get caught up anymore on what base oils are being used. You can make a good oil from various base oils. Many of the best synthetics use a combination of base fluids. Some oils use 7 or so base oils per grade.

No grade of Syntec is ALL Group III. With the exception of GC, all grades of Syntec are blends of Grp III, IV, and V.

That is ABSOLUTELY NOT an Amsoil statement. Amsoil is NOT claiming this. Indeed as JMAC points out, it's an independent dealer website.

Please be clear on this. It's not expressly forbidden to post this here on BITOG, but he is selling product and he is not a BITOG sponsor, and has links for buying Amsoil product.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
That is ABSOLUTELY NOT an Amsoil statement. Amsoil is NOT claiming this. Indeed as JMAC points out, it's an independent dealer website.

Please be clear on this. It's not expressly forbidden to post this here on BITOG, but he is selling product and he not a BITOG sponsor, and has links for buying Amsoil product.

Thanks Pablo for pointing that out, I did not notice that it was an unauthorized Amsoil claim, I apologize for any confusion. He threw me off when he claims he is an authorized dealer.

Last edited:

As long as Amsoil allows their dealers make ridiculous claims, Amsoil is approving their dealers messages.

It would be tough for Amsoil the company to prevent all Amsoil dealers from having any false information on their websites. That would require a lot of oversight. Possible but time-consuming and costly. As long as Pablo, Gary, and other good Amsoil dealers exist, we need not be concerned about the other dealers.

Originally Posted By: XS650

As long as Amsoil allows their dealers make ridiculous claims, Amsoil is approving their dealers messages.

The dealers are independent. We are not employees of Amsoil. Amsoil does NOT "allow" false claims and does not "approve" such messages. If a dealer makes patently false claims, his contract can be terminated at any time.

The statement above by "ARTHUR NESMITH" and is his own opinion and his obviously limited knowledge base. Feel free to straighten him out, but it is NOT an official Amsoil statement.

The dealers are independent. We are not employees of Amsoil. Amsoil does NOT "allow" false claims and does not "approve" such messages. If a dealer makes patently false claims, his contract can be terminated at any time.

The statement above by "ARTHUR NESMITH" and is his own opinion and his obviously limited knowledge base. Feel free to straighten him out, but it is NOT an official Amsoil statement.

So he will get "fired"? I see Art is T-1 certified, what does that mean? It looks like he has been a dealer for 25 years.

Last edited:

I don't think Amsoil really cares what those misleading clowns say as long as they sell product. There are too many of them out there to think anything else.

You are one of the Amsoil sellers with some integrity, you should be campaigning to get Amsoil to better police it's dealers.

"However, in recent years Group III (3) based oils have been labeled "synthetic" through a legal loophole. "

Now we know of his truly limited knowledge.

Just looked through his web site and find it funny that the "tests" he uses you can not buy the oil tested anymore.

If you are going to put your product up against other brand, make sure you have the latest formula (which is impossible and expensive) or forget the dumb tests.

ALL the oils have been changed many times in the last 5 years. (most for the better)

I do think the link should be taken down since this guy is not a site sponsor.

Just quote stuff like this if you have/want to post here.

This dealer is not doing Amsoil any justice IMO.

His website name alone would have made me pass....

Most of the MPG claims are just that. But sadly, those claims are the same with other zealous posts with other brands.

Good data that is accurate is hard to find...

Take care, Bill

Also he probably doesn't even know GC from Garbage Can.

crackmeup2.gif

After looking through his site, I agree.
thumbsup2.gif

The Amsoil sponsors here on BITOG are definitely an exception to the rule. I'm blown away at the incompetence of so many Amsoil dealers out there and their 'business' tactics.

If all Amsoil dealers were like the ones here on BITOG, then the Amsoil critics would be a lot quieter.

Amsoil corporate should really crack down on questionable practices by their dealers as it gives Amsoil products an undeserved black eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back