Amazon Basics 0W-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, new member here. So I got a few of the 5 quarts jug of the Amazon Basics 0w-40 Euro formula oil. Have a Mercedes with a 4 cyl Turbo that calls for 229.5. I have researched extensively but have not come to a conclusion whether this oil is OK for the car. I just did an oil change last week and so far no issues. I know the oil is distributed by Warren and the oil said it meets ACEA A3/B4 requirements but nowhere on the bottle does it say 229.5 approved other than the oil was made for European gas engines with Turbos. From what I gathered ACEA A3/B4 essentially meets 229.5 requirements. But before you ask why on earth would someone use something that does not have the approval when you can get M1 or Castrol for the same price or less, I got these jugs at $5.50 each. That's cheap at $1 a quart basically. I think Amazon was tryna get rid of them as they are no longer on the Amazon page, except for the 5w-40. Thanks for any inputs.

Moved to Euro oil section.

To your question - If you need a 229.5, and this doesn’t have 229.5 approval, I wouldn’t run a full drain interval (usually 10,000 miles or one year). It may meet the HTHS requirement, but not the long drain requirement, or it may not meet either. A3/B4 is a good specification, but isn’t the same as 229.5.

Do you have another car you can use this in?

I check the MB Bevo for approved fluids on my Mercedes. https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/index.php?language_id=1

That said, I am a big fan of High Performance Lubricants, and after talking with them, I am transitioning both MB to their 5W40 Supercar formula.

Moved to Euro oil section.

To your question - If you need a 229.5, and this doesn’t have 229.5 approval, I wouldn’t run a full drain interval (usually 10,000 miles or one year). It may meet the HTHS requirement, but not the long drain requirement.

I check the MB Bevo for approved fluids on my Mercedes. https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/index.php?language_id=1

That said, I am a big fan of High Performance Lubricants, and after talking with them, I am transitioning both MB to their 5W40 Supercar formula.
Thanks for the reply. This is what I found on A3/B4.

They are designed for use in high performance gasoline and light duty diesel engines and are typically used in newer vehicles as they provide the minimum performance demanded by many OEM specifications.. They can be used for extended drain intervals and severe operating conditions where it is defined by the engine manufacturer. This oil is low viscosity and intended for year-round use.

I find it the best to push the easy button and buy oil from one of the majors [ not saying the others are lacking] that has the ratings specified for the vehicle. That way there is no doubting the oil is the proper one used and stressing about it. A3/B4 oils are my favorite spec oil.

If its on the label, its no different than ANY brand, not listed in the link above, with their meets/exceeds/tested against blah blah blah marketing

I'd have no problem using it.

Concerning the oil change interval, I wouldn't even use an approved oil for 10k miles without gathering data.

Not being licensed for the Euro OE approvals is likely why the product is able to be sold so cheaply.

The Warren product (Mag1) it's supposedly based on also doesn't appear on the BEVO list:

With the broad availability of actually approved oils (M1 0W-40, Castrol 0W-40...etc) I'm surprised that people would still use a product like this one 🤷‍♂️

Regarding the posit about A3/B4 being equal to 229.5, here is A3/B4:
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 10.25.17 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 10.25.28 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 10.25.37 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 10.25.47 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 10.25.56 AM.jpg

If its on the label, its no different than ANY brand, not listed in the link above, with their meets/exceeds/tested against blah blah blah marketing

I'd have no problem using it.

Concerning the oil change interval, I wouldn't even use an approved oil for 10k miles without gathering data.
It's anything but marketing.

And the link to the Bevo list, is the Amazon oil there?

Hi All, new member here. So I got a few of the 5 quarts jug of the Amazon Basics 0w-40 Euro formula oil. Have a Mercedes with a 4 cyl Turbo that calls for 229.5. I have researched extensively but have not come to a conclusion whether this oil is OK for the car. I just did an oil change last week and so far no issues. I know the oil is distributed by Warren and the oil said it meets ACEA A3/B4 requirements but nowhere on the bottle does it say 229.5 approved other than the oil was made for European gas engines with Turbos. From what I gathered ACEA A3/B4 essentially meets 229.5 requirements. But before you ask why on earth would someone use something that does not have the approval when you can get M1 or Castrol for the same price or less, I got these jugs at $5.50 each. That's cheap at $1 a quart basically. I think Amazon was tryna get rid of them as they are no longer on the Amazon page, except for the 5w-40. Thanks for any inputs.
Euro certs are specific to the performance requirements for the engines offered by the automaker. ACEA classifications are more generic. Using an oil based on the appropriate ACEA classification would be considered less than optimal rather than catastrophic. In any case I'm sure the Warren oil will perform over a 3k-5k mile oci. Warren isn't known for selling poor quality product.

Last edited:
Overkill. I get what you mean about why bother using stuff like this that doesn't carry the approval when others are readily available but my main point was this was cheap on clearance for $5.50 a jug so I thought it wouldn't hurt to buy a few. I have some M1 and Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 here and both carry the 229.5 approval but my main inquiry is whether it is safe to use this Amazon stuff from Warren just because it doesn't carry that approval and whether it's just Amazon not choosing to pay the money to get it approved, etc... Thanks for sending those things. A lot to look at for sure but very informative. :)

From what I understand, MB makes it very affordable to get BEVO approval for products. If this is true, why wouldn't a company get MB approval, if their product meets the spec? And even if it isn't affordable to get approval, if the Amazon Basics 0W-40 Euro meets 229.5, Warren wouldn't be the first motor oil producer to label their product as "meets 229.5", instead of being able to label it as "MB Approval 229.5". The fact that they don't seems to suggest that either the product simply doesn't meet 229.5, or Warren hasn't tested their product to the 229.5 specifications.

The latter seems rather unlikely. Why would Warren, or any oil producer, engineer a product to meet a specification, but decide not to test it to the specifications? That makes no sense at all. So it seems very unlikely that the Amazon Basics 0W-40 Euro meets 229.5.

M1 0W-40 Euro is going for $30/5L jug right now. Not sure how many quarts your 4 cylinder turbo engine takes, but is it worth $25-$35 savings to use oil that doesn't meet what MB says you should use? I mean really, what is $25-$35, when you consider how much money most American's waste on soft drinks, coffee, and snacks each week. But, we each have to decide what risk we are willing to take. I would not put it in my E350. As Astro14 says, you probably want to go with a much shorter oil change interval with the stuff, instead of the MB recommended 10k mile/1 year interval.

Do you have some other engines you could use it in? I tried to buy some of it when it was going for super cheap. But my plan was to use it in my snow blower and lawn mower.

From what I understand, MB makes it very affordable to get BEVO approval for products. If this is true, why wouldn't a company get MB approval, if their product meets the spec? And even if it isn't affordable to get approval, if the Amazon Basics 0W-40 Euro meets 229.5, Warren wouldn't be the first motor oil producer to label their product as "meets 229.5", instead of being able to label it as "MB Approval 229.5". The fact that they don't seems to suggest that either the product simply doesn't meet 229.5, or Warren hasn't tested their product to the 229.5 specifications.

The latter seems rather unlikely. Why would Warren, or any oil producer, engineer a product to meet a specification, but decide not to test it to the specifications? That makes no sense at all. So it seems very unlikely that the Amazon Basics 0W-40 Euro meets 229.5.

M1 0W-40 Euro is going for $30/5L jug right now. Not sure how many quarts your 4 cylinder turbo engine takes, but is it worth $25-$35 savings to use oil that doesn't meet what MB says you should use? I mean really, what is $25-$35, when you consider how much money most American's waste on soft drinks, coffee, and snacks each week. But, we each have to decide what risk we are willing to take. I would not put it in my E350. As Astro14 says, you probably want to go with a much shorter oil change interval with the stuff, instead of the MB recommended 10k mile/1 year interval.

Do you have some other engines you could use it in? I tried to buy some of it when it was going for super cheap. But my plan was to use it in my snow blower and lawn mower.
The Mercedes takes 6 quarts and I bought 4 jugs. To be honest my next door neighbor has a couple of Audi A4 and A6 and he bought some and told me about it. That was when I said yeah why not? I have a bunch of M1 0w-40 Euro here and plenty of Pennzoil 0w-20 but I figured $20 for 4 jugs how bad can it be? I used Amazon 5w-20 high mileage numerous times on the old CRV we had and it worked great. So I do get it. But this wasn't about trying to cheap out and put the lousy stuff in the Benz. It's a question of OK I got this at a great deal but it doesn't have 229.5, does anyone know if it's just as good as those with the 229.5 approval or has anyone actually used this stuff for full 10K drain. My neighbor does with his Audis but..... But I guess I can use it on my Ariens snowblower and John Deere rider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back