Alzheimer's blood test

ON the news this morning, Possible blood test to detect Alzheimers before you ever get it,,,,lets hope this works...
That is an oversell of the technology to get clicks and viewers. What they found is that dying/dead cells in the brain release a “substance” into the bloodstream. This substance is usually undetected but they found a way to detect it at very, very low threshold. So unfortunately the positive test really just tells you that you are in the early stages of Alzheimer’s.

That is an oversell of the technology to get clicks and viewers. What they found is that dying/dead cells in the brain release a “substance” into the bloodstream. This substance is usually undetected but they found a way to detect it at very, very low threshold. So unfortunately the positive test really just tells you that you are in the early stages of Alzheimer’s.
That might be enough time to prepare which could be of some benefit. It is a horrible disease.

I haven't read the news but I'm wondering how this might work! Probably they went about it utilizing detection of beta amyloids and tau proteins in the plasma or serum samples

That might be enough time to prepare which could be of some benefit. It is a horrible disease.
My fear is this test will become required by the companies that sell long term care insurance. Positive test and you are denied?

If I was in the long term care insurance business I’d require this test (when mainstream) and have different tiers of coverage/cost or care limits based on age and test result. Can’t really blame them. You can be denied life insurance based on pre-existing conditions. Once this test is mainstream, Alzheimer’s becomes a pre-existing condition. How will society cope with the cost?

My fear is this test will become required by the companies that sell long term care insurance. Positive test and you are denied?

If I was in the long term care insurance business I’d require this test (when mainstream) and have different tiers of coverage/cost or care limits based on age and test result. Can’t really blame them. You can be denied life insurance based on pre-existing conditions. Once this test is mainstream, Alzheimer’s becomes a pre-existing condition. How will society cope with the cost?
Absolutely! Insurance companies aren't stupid, they could very well require that blood work. A lot can happen, people set up Irrevocable Trusts to protect themselves from losing everything. They might be denied medicaid if they have a "preexisting condition" like Alzheimer's detected from blood work, even w/o symptoms. Making a Trust worthless to protect assets in the event of the disease.

Just how many people get long term care insurance? People who don't buy into that wouldn't be impacted... that's "duh" I know, but if only 1% of the population pursues this, then it's really a non-issue.

I mean, my understanding is that the majority of people aren't doing anything for retirement.

There's a ton of research that's being done on MS, Lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, and so forth. The future is looking good for all those autoimmune indications but better for Alzheimer's

People are clearly asking you for further and the answer is like listening to a previous NY Senator named Hillary. If ya ain't willing to talk don't present.

People are clearly asking you for further and the answer is like listening to a previous NY Senator named Hillary. If ya ain't willing to talk don't present.
This is not a medical discussion board. My answer directly covered the basis of the question without getting technical. Sorry if you didn't like it and happy holidays.

There's a ton of research that's being done on MS, Lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, and so forth. The future is looking good for all those autoimmune indications but better for Alzheimer's
Good to hear. Wife already has arthritis, hers is just below RA. Picking what disease one would prefer to die from is... pretty unpleasant, but most people seem to fear losing their minds over losing their bodies.

We keep hoping for something for muscular dystrophy, but from I understand, it's a tough one to work on. It doesn't impact that many people, and the protein is somehow hard to work on.

How about Huntington's Disease? We lost a dear friend to it and his 41 year old daughter died two years ago from it. She was like a baby sister to my wife, it's a horrible disease.

How about Huntington's Disease? We lost a dear friend to it and his 41 year old daughter died two years ago from it. She was like a baby sister to my wife, it's a horrible disease.
Unfortunately when it comes to the rare and orphan diseases, usually not many big biotechs are involved. Generally the smaller biotechs and academics labs do the work in these areas and if promising preclinical data is generated, then the larger firms acquire these smaller companies. That being said, there is not much incentive to work on rare and orphan diseases such as Huntington's than to work on let's say cancer or Alzheimer's.

With MS … One of the most difficult aspects to overcome is the blood brain barrier… Extremely difficult as you well know.

Back