Always wondered why people wear 8 inch boots

I have 8” Thorogoods for work around the house for the ankle support. 25 years of firefighting I wore Globe 14” and as thick as they have to be with steel shank and toe they feel like tennis shoes compared to other brands. At $600+ per pair still worth every penny. View attachment 164724

I was wearing those same boots today working on the ranch and in the shop.

Regarding the GY welt, there should be a fairly deep groove in the sole so that the stitching is protected and doesn't wear through very quickly. As you can see, on my boot the stitching is already wearing through. While the outsole is additionally glued it will eventually separate. You can also see the Clarks boot has no stitching through the sole at all. The sole is only glued but I have ner had one delaminate.

Let me ask you a question...i have have several boots with a true Goodyear welt, yet none of them actually have the stitch that goes all the way through the outsole. Two brands (Carolina and Duradero) do provide a triple stitch in which the added stitch goes all the way through the outsole for extra protection against delaminating and pulling away from the midsole (but that’s only at the tip of the toe). My Red Wing Heritages don’t have any stitching from the welt going through the outsole. Same for my Irish Setter Wingshooters. No apparent stitch on the bottom of the outsole.

Seeing that all these boots are Goodyear welted, do they now consider it ok to run the stitch just through the midsole, along with the usual upper to the welt, instead of going through the outsole? Because I usually don’t see that stitch in most good year welted boots anymore. See it in shoes. And some boots, but not most. To be more clear...is the outsole stitch now just going through the midsole instead of the out sole? Or is that stitch only going halfway through the outsole, and we just can’t see it?

That’s a JK boot! That’s a serious boot!
This is actually a 10inch boot
20230723_072719.jpg

I love 8 inch and taller boots, I get poison ivy breakouts terrible around my ankles, some of the thinnest skin on your body, so let that poison whatever brush against leather boots, not my socks.

I stay with 6” steel toe boots… at size 13-14 depending on the boot/shoe they get pretty heavy. Though my 6” Carolina’s are closer to 7.5-8” in overall height.

Back