Boot fans — Anyone ever try the PNW brands? Whites? JK? Nick’s? Frank’s? Truman?

I tried ordering a pair on Nick’s 8 inch Moc toes/lug sole in their 1964 smooth leather ($650). Leather was on a back order, didn’t want to wait until the leather came in, then wait for the boot build (especially when build dates were anywhere from 13 weeks through 36 weeks).

Then tried JK, was hoping to settle and just get something in stock. Looked at their 300x lineup and I just couldn’t find anything in my size/leather in stock. And I can’t convince myself to wait six months for a boot that I know not much about.

Looked into Frank’s, didn’t see much I really wanted.

Then I went to White’s (they’re having a 20%-30% off sale right now), and I went with the 8 inch Perry Select, and an 8 inch Fulton Moc toe with a honey lugged Vibram outsole. Was able to get both with the 30% for under $550 total. It appears that the Fulton is in stock and the Perry will likely be 10 weeks of wait time.

Here they are, tell me what you think/know about the brand.

$500 to $600 for a pair of boots? Yikes!
Exactly, that’s why I’m looking for advice/experiences from people that buy these things. It’s a lot of dough for a pair of boots but I keep hearing that they are worth every penny. That once you buy a boot like this you keep them for life and never go back to regular work boots. Who knows?

But I managed to catch a decent Black Friday sale, plan on putting the Whites to the test. The two pairs that I bought are “low end“ in this segment🤣🤣

My everyday work around the house boots came from WM for $49. They will last three to four years. My everyday "nice" boots came from Tractor Supply for $85. I thought that was outrageous but they fit like a glove and will probably last a good long time. I wear them every day everywhere.

My son wears the WM boots at work and they last six months. Just like the Red Wings he was buying at three times the cost.

My everyday work around the house boots came from WM for $49. They will last three to four years. My everyday "nice" boots came from Tractor Supply for $85. I thought that was outrageous but they fit like a glove and will probably last a good long time. I wear them every day everywhere.

My son wears the WM boots at work and they last six months. Just like the Red Wings he was buying at three times the cost.
Red Wing make lots of different boots just to lump in they last the same as MM is misleading what actually boot was he wearing most I would never buy and few i would recommend to anyone.

The issue wasn't with the model of Red Wing boot and which one would last longer. His issue was he was paying three times the cost for a "better" boot which it wasn't.

When I was working it was a similar environment as my son's and it was not uncommon to replace boots every six months. So why pay more?

The issue wasn't with the model of Red Wing boot and which one would last longer. His issue was he was paying three times the cost for a "better" boot which it wasn't.

When I was working it was a similar environment as my son's and it was not uncommon to replace boots every six months. So why pay more?
I’d agree if you bought a China made 150.00 dollar Red Wing boot you bought a garbage boot and I’d never buy.

Replace them for what? Must be environmental damage.

I have a pair of Thorogoods that are 5 years old and a pair of Solovairs that are almost 10 years old and I'll probably never have to replace either outright. I do need to have the Solovairs resoled.

Replace them for what? Must be environmental damage.
Yes, some of us have work environments that are extremely hard on boots. When I worked at US Steel on the coke ovens out of high school, 6 months was about all you could get out of high quality boots. In my current outdoor ag/natural resource career, boots also take a beating from wet conditions and equipment abrasions/cuts. 2 years is the best I get on occasion. That's why I cringe at the idea of spending more than about $250 on good boots. I could not bear nicking a $500 pair of boots with my chainsaw.

OP, you got a tremendous deal on those boots! Enjoy.

What will they be used for environment and surface.
I’m pretty hard on boots, the Fulton will be used primarily for automotive use...hard cement floors, oil, grease, some welding, etc. And I’ll probably hike in them a bit too. The Perry Select, I’m not sure just yet what I’m going to do with them - if they look as nice as I think they will - I may wear them casually for a while, with some around the house type work occasionally. Then when/if I get tired of them, I may go full bore automotive work in them and see how long it takes to burn through them. Might consider a resole on them too.

I spent many year going that route...Walmart boot...figured...well I’m just going to destroy them anyway. And I was right, I would destroy them. Then probably 8-10 years ago I switched jobs and my coworker wore Red Wings, I asked him how much they were and he said $200 bucks. I thought he was nuts, but he explained it to me like...your feet control the comfort of your entire body, etc, etc. I still thought he was nuts, then I looked around and everyone else seemed to share the same philosophy, meanwhile I’m dying in my pair of Walmart boots...Achilles tendons on FIRE, my toe area sore. I’d always get home and my legs would ache and I never gave it a thought as to why.

Then I switched to a quality boot and it all changed. But I agree, if the Walmart boots work for you in comfort, and no matter what your work environment won’t allow you to get more than 6 months out of a boot?? Then I’d absolutely stick with that formula.

I’m pretty hard on boots, the Fulton will be used primarily for automotive use...hard cement floors, oil, grease, some welding, etc. And I’ll probably hike in them a bit too. The Perry Select, I’m not sure just yet what I’m going to do with them - if they look as nice as I think they will - I may wear them casually for a while, with some around the house type work occasionally. Then when/if I get tired of them, I may go full bore automotive work in them and see how long it takes to burn through them. Might consider a resole on them too.
Do you run a boot currently with a lug sole? not my favorite on concrete this is a fiberglass shank not like a custom made with leather nothing wrong with shank material but different how it will conform or feel to the foot. The Fulton seems not as heavy of leather as many other boots but may be as heavy as the 300 jk you were looking at that boot is built with the lightest leather they use but break in should be fairly minimal. Follow oil instructions it should be a decent boot.

Yes, some of us have work environments that are extremely hard on boots. When I worked at US Steel on the coke ovens out of high school, 6 months was about all you could get out of high quality boots. In my current outdoor ag/natural resource career, boots also take a beating from wet conditions and equipment abrasions/cuts. 2 years is the best I get on occasion. That's why I cringe at the idea of spending more than about $250 on good boots. I could not bear nicking a $500 pair of boots with my chainsaw.

OP, you got a tremendous deal on those boots! Enjoy.
Thanks. I am worried I’m going to feel the same when I unbox these things, but I’ll definitely put the Fultons to heavy work/use/abuse.

I just spent a year in a Duradero Moc toe boot, the things held up fantastic. They come with a free resole, and I’m about to send them in. Meanwhile I started rotating a Carolina Moc toe boot into my weekly grind, and I’ve already destroyed the heal counter. The thing just split in half, and when I walk I can feel it a bit, and it’s making a clicking sound. Pretty disappointed. Plus the tongues won’t lay flat...one of them twisted to the point where my laces are right on my leg.

I’m planning on running the White’s Fultons 3-4 days a week, with a slight rotation with the resoled Duradero. I like to rotate my boots if I can.

Do you run a boot currently with a lug sole? not my favorite on concrete this is a fiberglass shank not like a custom made with leather nothing wrong with shank material but different how it will conform or feel to the foot. The Fulton seems not as heavy of leather as many other boots but may be as heavy as the 300 jk you were looking at that boot is built with the lightest leather they use but break in should be fairly minimal. Follow oil instructions it should be a decent boot.
For the past year I’ve run a wedge sole boot for work, and I must say the thing has been fantastic. I used a Duradero Moc toe, it does come with a free resole (I’ll be sending it in). The comfort was great. I wanted to try a lug sole again because it’ll give me a little more versatility when I’m out of work. The wedge sole isn’t great for hiking/snow/mud/whatever. I’m hoping the heeled boot will be comfortable on the cement floors once it’s broken in, but I’m a little worried about that. And I’m not sure how the leather on the Fulton will be, it looks like a sanded nubuck, and I’m nit sure what the thickness is (probably 2.0-2.5 mm I’m guessing).

The Fulton is definitely on the lower end of White’s lineup, but the Perry Select has some higher end features...the leather heal counter, the leather shank, pretty high quality leather measuring 2.5-2.7 mm, but it’s still not to the level of the Nick’s Moc toe I was wanting. I just couldn’t wait 3-6 months for the Nicks.

I would have no problem paying $500 for boots that I wear every day if they made my feet, and my work, more comfortable, better protected, or even easier.

I wear uniform shoes every day that I am at work - and I wear a nice pair of comfortable shoes from J&M.

Paying for good footwear that is used every day makes sense to me. I don’t understand the “I can get boots at WalMart for less” mentality. I am sure you can. So?

The OP is looking for the best for good reason. Help him find the best. Don’t try and convince him to settle for cheap.

what hasn’t gotten expensive? Now, granted there’s expensive and crazy expensive, and $600 starts to verge to the latter, but if they last and feel great then no issues.

That said, I bought some decently expensive carolina 1776 US Union made boots and the heel delaminated on one side. Carolina was no help… so don’t expect that $$ is going to get service and always get quality either unfortunately.

But I’d want a better constructed boot and sole than what walmart could necessarily provide…

I tried ordering a pair on Nick’s 8 inch Moc toes/lug sole in their 1964 smooth leather ($650). Leather was on a back order, didn’t want to wait until the leather came in, then wait for the boot build (especially when build dates were anywhere from 13 weeks through 36 weeks).

Then tried JK, was hoping to settle and just get something in stock. Looked at their 300x lineup and I just couldn’t find anything in my size/leather in stock. And I can’t convince myself to wait six months for a boot that I know not much about.

Looked into Frank’s, didn’t see much I really wanted.

Then I went to White’s (they’re having a 20%-30% off sale right now), and I went with the 8 inch Perry Select, and an 8 inch Fulton Moc toe with a honey lugged Vibram outsole. Was able to get both with the 30% for under $550 total. It appears that the Fulton is in stock and the Perry will likely be 10 weeks of wait time.

Here they are, tell me what you think/know about the brand.

This is my son's JK 300 boots worn 50 hrs a week 10 months old as a Electrician sole is stitched and has not failed but pulling apart. Both boots are doing as above pics
20231126_101855.jpg
20231126_101925.jpg
20231126_102003.jpg

Back