Alternative oil for Audi 5w40 Texas car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm out of warranty so I am going to start changing the oil in my 2012 Audi A6 3.0T. The factory book recommends "Synthetic 5W30 or 5W40 oil depending upon climate conditions". Since this is a Texas car, I would lean towards 5W40 but that is double the price of 5W30 or 10W40 which is on the shelf everywhere. I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with, I'm looking for some recommendations from some people that actually know something about oil, the dealer just wasn't a help, in the local parts stores have been useless . Thank you!

Mobil 1 0w-40
Mobil 1 5w-40 TDT
Rotella T6 5w-40
Castrol 0w-40

Those are all pretty cheap when purchased in jugs at Walmart or Amazon.

The oil requirements aren't a viscosity, but an audi/vw spec. like 502.00

You can use a cheap OTC oil like Mobil1 0w-40; other correct me if i am wrong. "A synthetic 5w-30" as a minimal requirement won't get you the correct oil.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 0w40 at walmart is $22 right now plus the rebate going on knocks it down to 12 and it has your vw 502 spec. Also check out carquest brand oils. Their 5w40 im 99% sure is vw 502 and its 6$ a qt

To be clear, you are in IL or TX? And you can also consider differences for summer/winter if in IL.

Here's a thread you might read about a turbo Audi that could help:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...10w#Post4072538

M1 Ow-40 is a reasonable substitute for 5w-40, on shelves widely, and with the current rebates cheaper than most anything you can get, period.

Last edited:
I wouldn't choose a higher grade oil based on being in Texas. Once engines get up to operating temperature, the ambient temperature makes little difference.

That being said, the most available oils that fit the requirements will probably be 0w-40 or 5w40.

For a 5w30, Pennzoil Euro L is somewhat uncommonly available.

Is there anything going on with your motor out of the ordinary? Do you drive that car hard?

A lot of So-Cal hot car guys with turbo boosts way higher than yours live very happily on Rotella T6 5W-40 (temps much like TX).

HDEO's work just fine in my Saab 2.3t that boosts to about 12 psi. T-6 is synthetic and pretty robust at that.

They also worked fine in my last Beemer. Have not owned an Audi in a while, but it would be on my list of affordable oils.

You might run it for one 4,000 change interval and send a sample to Blackstone and see what the lab says about metallics?

I have the same car as you with the 3.0T. Mine is modified though and I use Royal Purple 5w30 HPS. If you're looking for something cheaper like your post suggests then listen to BrocLuno and go with Rotella T6 5w40.

Does your car consume oil? Mine consumes oil at 1qt per 3-4000 miles.

My fleet needs a list of approvals and I currently run Castrol 0W-40 as it meets all of them. I'm of the mindset that more approvals=a better oil, and Castrol 0W-40 carries 502/505/LL01/M229.5/A40.

Anything with VW 502.00 will suit your car well and I would stick with a 0W or 5W-40. I also recommend you stop purchasing oils at auto parts stores. Wal Mart and Amazon both have all the oils you could ever want for under $5/quart. That same oils are near $9/quart at Autozone.

If a 5W-40 is double the price of a 5W-30/10W-40, you're also comparing non-sythetic to synthetic oils and that's where the price discrepancy lies.

I guess I have to update my profile, I moved to Texas a few years ago when we had 39 days straight over 100° and ten days over 110°; coming from northern Illinois this always concerns me with the oil choices I have made in the past! Haha

My car eats about 1/2 to 1 quart at about 3500 miles. It runs great, no problems what so ever. This is my first European car and since the dealer has always done the oil (warranty just ended) I never realized it was 5w40 until just the other day when I asked what oil they put in the car.

I use 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum in my wife's Caravan, and 5w30 Royal Purple in the 351 in my drag car.

Autozone often has a "Buy 5 quarts get a filter" sale and you can choose Castrol 0w40. If you need more than 5 quarts, each extra quart is sold at a discount price. This may be better than going to Walmart because some European cars have more expensive oil filters.

Mobil 1, 5W-40, Turbo Diesel Truck. It's one of the most robust oils available. Works amazingly well in turbocharged race and street cars, air cooled engines and, of course, trucks.

Interestingly, M1 TDT consistently produces lower wear metals from compiled UOA data. Often far-far lower than the competition.

Originally Posted By: rurockn
I'm out of warranty so I am going to start changing the oil in my 2012 Audi A6 3.0T. The factory book recommends "Synthetic 5W30 or 5W40 oil depending upon climate conditions". Since this is a Texas car, I would lean towards 5W40 but that is double the price of 5W30 or 10W40 which is on the shelf everywhere. I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with, I'm looking for some recommendations from some people that actually know something about oil, the dealer just wasn't a help, in the local parts stores have been useless . Thank you!

One thing to remember. The 5w30 viscosity in your owners manual is NOT the same type of 5w30 oil you use in a North American engine. It is a European "A3" rated oil which is thicker than the typical 5w30. I used to use 5w40 in my old BMW.

I guess I have to update my profile, I moved to Texas a few years ago when we had 39 days straight over 100° and ten days over 110°; coming from northern Illinois this always concerns me with the oil choices I have made in the past! Haha

My car eats about 1/2 to 1 quart at about 3500 miles. It runs great, no problems what so ever. This is my first European car and since the dealer has always done the oil (warranty just ended) I never realized it was 5w40 until just the other day when I asked what oil they put in the car.

I use 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum in my wife's Caravan, and 5w30 Royal Purple in the 351 in my drag car.

That engine is known to eat oil. There was an issue with piston rings on that engine. I do not think it is big deal, but I know VW updated rings.
5W40 that VW/Audi uses in dealership is POS! It does not met MB 229.5 requirement. You may ask why is that important for you considering you drive Audi?
Well, Mercedes Benz has most stringent NOACK and deposit control requirements. MB229.3 that 5W40 Castrol meets is outdated and allows NOACK up to 13% compare to MB 229.5 that has NOACK up to 10%. That has direct influence on oil consumption as well as carbon build up on your valves.
Here are options:
First of all, always choose product that meets VW 502.00 requirement. That is not overly stringent requirement, probably least stringent of all Euro requirements, but it is what Audi wants.
Second, always go with product that together with VW 502.00, also has MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01 requirement. Apparently BMW updated their LL-01 requirement and it seems to be now hardest one to meet. New Mobil1 0W40 does not carry that requirement (I think not relevant in your case).
Third, grade is not issue if all these requirements are met. What you want is actually strong HTHS! So, Castrol 0W30 which was darling among Euro owners for years, has HTHS of 3.58cp. New Mobil1 0W40 has HTHS of 3.6cp!!! So difference is 0.02cp! Castrol 0W40 that uses same base like 0W30 and same additives except few details like viscosity modifiers has HTHS of 3.7. I use it in Tiguan, and I think it is better then older version of M1 (splitting hairs here).
I used in my VW CC 0W30 Castrol in Alabama in Montgomery where temperature goes to 110 and humidity to 98%. Never used drop of oil.
So my take:
1. Go to Wal mart and get either 0W40 castrol or Mobil1! I ahve not tried new Mobil1 0W40 FS that is GTL based, but no doubt it is good oil.
2. You can get Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 on Amazon, but why pay higher price when Castrol and Mobil1 in Wal Mart are dirt cheap and are if not the best, probably one of the best oils for Euro cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

That engine is known to eat oil. There was an issue with piston rings on that engine. I do not think it is big deal, but I know VW updated rings.
5W40 that VW/Audi uses in dealership is POS! It does not met MB 229.5 requirement. You may ask why is that important for you considering you drive Audi?
Well, Mercedes Benz has most stringent NOACK and deposit control requirements. MB229.3 that 5W40 Castrol meets is outdated and allows NOACK up to 13% compare to MB 229.5 that has NOACK up to 10%. That has direct influence on oil consumption as well as carbon build up on your valves.
Here are options:
First of all, always choose product that meets VW 502.00 requirement. That is not overly stringent requirement, probably least stringent of all Euro requirements, but it is what Audi wants.
Second, always go with product that together with VW 502.00, also has MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01 requirement. Apparently BMW updated their LL-01 requirement and it seems to be now hardest one to meet. New Mobil1 0W40 does not carry that requirement (I think not relevant in your case).
Third, grade is not issue if all these requirements are met. What you want is actually strong HTHS! So, Castrol 0W30 which was darling among Euro owners for years, has HTHS of 3.58cp. New Mobil1 0W40 has HTHS of 3.6cp!!! So difference is 0.02cp! Castrol 0W40 that uses same base like 0W30 and same additives except few details like viscosity modifiers has HTHS of 3.7. I use it in Tiguan, and I think it is better then older version of M1 (splitting hairs here).
I used in my VW CC 0W30 Castrol in Alabama in Montgomery where temperature goes to 110 and humidity to 98%. Never used drop of oil.
So my take:
1. Go to Wal mart and get either 0W40 castrol or Mobil1! I ahve not tried new Mobil1 0W40 FS that is GTL based, but no doubt it is good oil.
2. You can get Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 on Amazon, but why pay higher price when Castrol and Mobil1 in Wal Mart are dirt cheap and are if not the best, probably one of the best oils for Euro cars.

The above is the best advise your going to get....as you sit on 635 stuck in the parking lot or Dallas North Tollway watching the bugs crawl past you......you dont have to worry if you have the right oil in your Audi....nice car by the way....I would offer the oil filter you choose is critical in a Audi.....myself I go with factory filters in Euro cars I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back