2019 Audi RS3, built/sleeved motor - oil recommendation?

A good builder will have an informed engine oil recommendation for what he or she built. If they don’t know so things, then find a different builder because the motor won’t last long. Not trying to argue, but good engine builders are remarkably knowledgeable about these things, particularly the trade offs involved in sleeving an aluminum block. Good luck with the build. Sounds like fun.

Here's the more important question: what does your engine builder want you to use? With a custom motor, it is probably best to use what your builder wants if you want any warranty support.
They suggest 5w40 but have also said 10w40 would be fine. They don’t offer any warranty either way though.

You claim to detect that one oil of the same grade is “rougher and more sluggish”?

No.
Maybe it’s just the fact that it’s much colder out now, but i definitely notice a difference from when I was running Mobil 1 5w40 in the spring/summer.

“Sluggishness “ depends on HTHS. 3.6 will spool faster than 3.8. Whether one will feel that is subjective.
So if the builder recommends 5w40 in general are they essentially just Saying they want a certain Hths.

A good builder will have an informed engine oil recommendation for what he or she built. If they don’t know so things, then find a different builder because the motor won’t last long. Not trying to argue, but good engine builders are remarkably knowledgeable about these things, particularly the trade offs involved in sleeving an aluminum block. Good luck with the build. Sounds like fun.
My builder and most of the daza builders run 5w40 across the board. I was just trying to figure out if by looking specifically at hths I should chose an oil based on that. I guess I’m getting way too involved in thinking about it.

So if the builder recommends 5w40 in general are they essentially just Saying they want a certain Hths.
40 is a range. 12.5cst to 16.3 (as far as I remember). So, you can have lower, higher HTHS within same grade. It depends on numerous factors. You can have same KV100 and different HTHS. Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2 has KV100 of 13.5cst, and HTHS 3.8. Some oils have same KV100 but lower HTHS. Redline for example has KV100 of 14 and something, but HTHS is 4.5. Hogher HTHS means more protection but also more resistance. So, it is good to have robust HTHS, but also not to go crazy with it. Bigger emphasis should be to find shear stable oil. That is why I recommend HPL.

My builder and most of the daza builders run 5w40 across the board. I was just trying to figure out if by looking specifically at hths I should chose an oil based on that. I guess I’m getting way too involved in thinking about it.
They run it b/c they know it/been around forever in the Euro car world - that's it...no magic. What is the factory recommended oil in that engine? Likely a 504/30 grade?

40 is a range. 12.5cst to 16.3 (as far as I remember). So, you can have lower, higher HTHS within same grade. It depends on numerous factors. You can have same KV100 and different HTHS. Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2 has KV100 of 13.5cst, and HTHS 3.8. Some oils have same KV100 but lower HTHS. Redline for example has KV100 of 14 and something, but HTHS is 4.5. Hogher HTHS means more protection but also more resistance. So, it is good to have robust HTHS, but also not to go crazy with it. Bigger emphasis should be to find shear stable oil. That is why I recommend HPL.
That makes sense, I’ll give them a call as well. Thank you

That makes sense, I’ll give them a call as well. Thank you
They weren’t super helpful just basically said yeah run whatever the builder suggests. The builder uses Mobil 1 5w40 which I believe isn’t the best oil you can run in 5w40.

They weren’t super helpful just basically said yeah run whatever the builder suggests. The builder uses Mobil 1 5w40 which I believe isn’t the best oil you can run in 5w40.
M1 5W40 is just fine....any basic European 5W40 with all the typical approvals is for all intents/purposes....the same....

They run it b/c they know it/been around forever in the Euro car world - that's it...no magic. What is the factory recommended oil in that engine? Likely a 504/30 grade?
Yeah 504/507 0w30 now it was 5w30 but Audi changed it

M1 FS 5W-40 is quite decent really. Whether or not your engine is going to survive is probably down to the build and original design. I doubt swapping M1 for Redline, HPL, Amsoil, etc. is going to have any impact except very long term.

If your intervals are short I would look at 300V Competition 5W-40.

M1 FS 5W-40 is quite decent really. Whether or not your engine is going to survive is probably down to the build and original design. I doubt swapping M1 for Redline, HPL, Amsoil, etc. is going to have any impact except very long term.

If your intervals are short I would look at 300V Competition 5W-40.
I’ve run 300v before and liked it. I usually change oil every 2500-3k miles

Back