2019 Audi RS3, built/sleeved motor - oil recommendation?

I have a 2019 Audi RS3, built/sleeved motor. I’m told to use 5w40 oil in it. I was curious about redline 5w40 or 5w30 (I’m told redline runs thicker) so 5w30 may be ok to use. I was also looking into AMSOIL 5w40 euro fs or their 10w40 dominator. Does anyone have suggestions or information on these oils as to which would be a better choice. Thank you

Would you stick with redline 5w40 or will their 30 weight be equivalent to other 40’s. I only ask because I’ve heard the 5w30 doesn’t have viscosity enhancers and seems to be preferred.

Would you stick with redline 5w40 or will their 30 weight be equivalent to other 40’s. I only ask because I’ve heard the 5w30 doesn’t have viscosity enhancers and seems to be preferred.
HTHS of 5W30 is 3.7mpas. For comparison M1 0W40 is 3.6mpas. It is all about HTHS. Check HPL. It is very stout, true synthetic @TiGeo ia using it in EA888 on track.

HTHS of 5W30 is 3.7mpas. For comparison M1 0W40 is 3.6mpas. It is all about HTHS. Check HPL. It is very stout, true synthetic @TiGeo ia using it in EA888 on track.
You like the hpl 5w40 over redline. I drag race the car frequently as well.

I run 5w40 AMSOIL full saps in the car now. Ive noticed it seems to run a bit rougher and more sluggish than it did when using Mobil 1 5w40

You like the hpl 5w40 over redline. I drag race the car frequently as well.
If you drag race, go 5W30. I don’t use Redline oil or HPL. But, we have a lot of feedback from HPL users here and you can contact HPL directly.
I would go 5W30, something around 3.6mpas as you need less resistance for drag racing. You are not doing long track sessions, so less resistance means better performance. HPL Euro 5W30 as far as my memory serves me is 3.58.
Contact @High Performance Lubricants and check what they have to say.

If you drag race, go 5W30. I don’t use Redline oil or HPL. But, we have a lot of feedback from HPL users here and you can contact HPL directly.
I would go 5W30, something around 3.6mpas as you need less resistance for drag racing. You are not doing long track sessions, so less resistance means better performance. HPL Euro 5W30 as far as my memory serves me is 3.58.
Contact @High Performance Lubricants and check what they have to say.
Thank you, I’ll definitely check with them. I always heard the higher viscosity will offer better protection.

Thank you, I’ll definitely check with them. I always heard the higher viscosity will offer better protection.
It is HTHS that matters!

Here's the more important question: what does your engine builder want you to use? With a custom motor, it is probably best to use what your builder wants if you want any warranty support.

I would probably try 300V Competition 5W-40 if cost is no object. I’m sure the HPL is very good as well.

A budget option could be a 50/50 mix of M1 FS 0W-40 and 5W-50. One of their European engineers told me the additive package is the exact same for the SP versions and you can mix to get a desired viscosity and HTHS.

Last edited:
Go with what the builder recommends. Think about the driveline as well. There are more cost effective platforms to drag race than Audi, but the AWD is a beast I would imagine. Good luck.

This is bitog, we all believe we know better than the builder...
Will the engine builder know formulation of various oils or understand what the motor needs if the builder is given build specs of the motor to oil formula to make a best match.

Go with what the builder recommends. Think about the driveline as well. There are more cost effective platforms to drag race than Audi, but the AWD is a beast I would imagine. Good luck.
The RS3 is a drag animal.

Will the engine builder know formulation of various oils or understand what the motor needs if the builder is given build specs of the motor to oil formula to make a best match.
Exactly why as even i share that same thought, some builders legitimately don't know what's best. In the short time frame they'll run an engine it could have 10w-30 and it'll live long enough for something else to kill the engine so they'll believe it to be what should be used,

Back