Airline Fleet/Management in a crisis

Originally Posted by Astro14
I dismissed no one. Sorry if I sound cold, but we're talking about the realities of airlines.

Mechanics, FAs, gate agents - all are fungible. All can be assigned to any position, and all can be furloughed on a moment's notice without impacting the operation, since they are universally trained.

That's precisely what happened as major carriers went through bankruptcy. Thousands of fungible employees furloughed at once while pilot furloughs took years. Entire employee groups were dismissed at airlines - the employee newspaper, for example, gone. City ticket offices - closed. My airline alone laid off a total of 50% of the workforce. Nearly 50,000 employees. Most of those were done quickly. Very few got any severance. Most pensions were liquidated along the way.

The pilots took longer. Much longer. That's just how it works when you have specialized, trained, certified employees.

That's why you can look at the fleet reductions, and pilot furloughs, to gauge the long-term intent of a company. It takes a long time to move them to furlough, and a long time to bring them back.

Finally, and this is important, flight attendants and pilots are not at all subject to the same risk. Both are airline employees, but that's where the comparison ends. A flight attendant can be hired with zero experience, and trained for the job in a week. A pilot, hired with zero experience, will take several years to train to the minimum hours and certifications (ATP, type rating). The labor markets are entirely different. The risk, therefore, is entirely different. Mechanics are much closer to pilots, they take a long time to train and certify, but again, they are fungible.

As far as fleet reductions, they don't save that much money, not in the short term. Staffing reductions do. But which airplanes are AA and DL parking? 757s and MD80/90. They have nearly zero value. They have no lease or finance payments, so where is the savings? The only significant savings with parking old jets is that you can reduce the commensurate staff. In the medium term, you save on heavy maintenance and in the medium-long term, you save a bit on fuel when your routes are flown by more efficient aircraft.

UA took deliveries of a couple of 787s this month. Why - wouldn't it make sense to cancel orders and keep the cash?

Well, perhaps, except that those airplanes were already paid for, and as new, efficient airplanes, have value on the market, so they don't detract from the balance sheet.

The cash flow is the C-suite's problem. Just like an engine fire on takeoff is mine. There are a lot of avenues open to a good management team that can be used to handle the cash crunch, even though the revenue is barely a trickle (perhaps 5% of normal). A lot depends on the the company's financial position/strength going into this, as well as the confidence that big banks, and others, have in the management team.

Originally Posted by E365
I could see a scenario where retiring entire fleets soon would make pilot furloughs much cheaper/easier on an airline. If a one-fleet airline like Southwest furloughs, there's very little training that need to be done.

Places like Delta have 6(!) different narrowbody fleets. That's a training-department disaster once the domino-effect of furloughs and displacements start. Cut those 6 fleets down to maybe 3 and it simplifies things greatly.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I just read yesterday where Lufthansa is going to park several A380's along with some A340 planes. That included some 343's. I'm surprised they were still flying those hair dryers? A number of other aircraft will be parked as well.

Most or perhaps all of those planes will be retired. The A380 era is coming to a quick end it seems.

If you're going to reduce your fleet size, vertical cuts (single airplane type) make sense, because you shed the costs of a fleet type; spare parts inventory, training equipment, simulators and training space. Small fleets (low number of airplanes) are the natural choice.

The A-380 had been a break-even airplane for Lufthansa, I'm not certain that 747-8 ever made money and the A-340 is a gas guzzler and has high maintenance costs. Each of those fleets at Lufthansa is small. Those vertical cuts make perfect sense, because small fleets cost more to keep, as the overhead of parts, and training support, is amortized over smaller numbers.

To be honest, I think my beloved 757 and then 767, will be the first airplanes to go should United begin parking airplanes. The oldest, and least fuel efficient. Spare parts for the round dial cockpit have become harder to source. The 767 and 757 are the smallest fleet. Smaller retraining numbers. We had already begun selling some of oldest 757s last year and this year, as the 737 MAX was to take the domestic flying that the 757 was doing. Granted, I'm no MAX fan, but it's the same passenger capacity of the 757 at half (yes, half) the fuel burn.

Those two numbers (passengers and burn) are awfully compelling to the C-suite.

Originally Posted by edyvw

You have a point about pilots, there is no doubt about this. And yes, for some this will be opportunity and for some it will be the end. It is all about leadership now. There will be winners and losers in this crisis. Those that have good lobbying operation will do good. Congressional delegations are important.
Going back to pilot issue. People do not understand that losing such know-how is ridiculous to make up for. I have been part of the process where pilots in military were lost, and than military had to play catch up. It is grueling process. And that is military, where funds are available and there are no loses. That is why companies cannot just like that get rid of pilots.
Also, this crisis will solve pilot shortages in military. People will think four times before leaving military and no one will be hiring for some time. That means that current pilots are very, very important.
As for Lufthansa, I think A343 are gone. Probably 346 at my disappointment too. Hypothetically, if UAL get's rid of 757 and 767, where that leaves you?

It will be interesting to see how much more of a impact the video/internet conferencing will have on airline travel. It's been out there for some time but maybe this event will push it more to the forefront?

Well - again hypothetically, there are two aspects of parking the 757: 1. routes/markets and 2.personnel.

Your question was about 2. and how it affects me. I will end up being one of those pilots who has to get retrained. Depending on simulator and training time/availability, this might take months, perhaps several....during which time, I'll remain a 757/767 Captain for pay. My options, based on my seniority at the moment, include A320 Captain, 737 Captain, 787 FO, 777 FO. Now, my seniority will not change during staffing cuts, but my relative seniority will, so, I won't move down in absolute number, but I will move down as a percentage of the pilot group since the group will get smaller. Relative seniority determines what you can hold, but of the options listed above, I am, at this moment, above 50% relative seniority, so they will remain open.

The more important question for the airline, and the reason they are reticent to cut the airplane, is this: what markets do we lose?

The 757 flies the thin Europe routes. We connect you from the East Coast to smaller cities in a point to point model. I've talked about this before, it's where UAL beats the competition. Want to go to Edinburgh? Every other carrier takes you through their hub, London, Frankfurt, Paris, etc. We take you EWR - EDI direct. Saving you a connection and several hours of time. That's a competitive advantage and the reason we've kept the 757 in service. The 180 seat ETOPS airplane that can reach Europe allows us to serve unique markets like Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Reykjavik, Stockholm, and others. In all, about 15 smaller markets where we couldn't fill a bigger airplane, like a 767 or 777. We've grown some of those markets, like EWR-DUB, to the 777, but right now, if we park the 757, those markets will have to be served by a larger airplane, or dropped.

Since we only have a finite number of larger airplanes, and some of those markets don't have the size to justify the bigger airplane, many will be dropped.

I think the A321NEO with the LR option would fit the mission, and since we have the A320, it's an easy addition to our fleet, because the pilot training is the same. 757 retirement is based on that airplane arriving. With airlines in crisis, it may be possible to accelerate our deliveries of that airplane, and hasten the 757 retirements.

Or we may park 757 and drop those markets.

It really depends on how traffic rebounds.

For me personally, any of the above scenarios is a personal and professional disappointment. I fly a great jet, as Captain, to lots of really cool places in Europe and South America. A move to domestic Captain, or international FO is both a huge professional disappointment and I will miss those layovers in Europe's cool cities.

It will be interesting to see how much more of a impact the video/internet conferencing will have on airline travel. It's been out there for some time but maybe this event will push it more to the forefront?

I agree...sort of...it has been said in every downturn that virtual engagement will supplant personal engagement in business...and then, business people go back to flying...

So, while I've done virtual cocktail parties with my old squadron mates on Zoom (great fun, by the way), I still look forward to the next physical reunion.

I suspect that the business deal that's negotiated in person will beat out the deal who meets virtually...but time will tell...

I agree...sort of...it has been said in every downturn that virtual engagement will supplant personal engagement in business...and then, business people go back to flying...

So, while I've done virtual cocktail parties with my old squadron mates on Zoom (great fun, by the way), I still look forward to the next physical reunion.

I suspect that the business deal that's negotiated in person will beat out the deal who meets virtually...but time will tell...

Totally agree.

I worked for a Video conferencing firm start up in 2000. The 9-11 attacks caused an immediate tripling of business. The owners wisely decided to sell the next year to some wide eyed investors.

I went back to sales and weekly plane travel. I'm convinced people have to meet you in order to have the confidence to place an order. Particularly large, multi year contracts.

Last edited:
Well - again hypothetically, there are two aspects of parking the 757: 1. routes/markets and 2.personnel.

Your question was about 2. and how it affects me. I will end up being one of those pilots who has to get retrained. Depending on simulator and training time/availability, this might take months, perhaps several....during which time, I'll remain a 757/767 Captain for pay. My options, based on my seniority at the moment, include A320 Captain, 737 Captain, 787 FO, 777 FO. Now, my seniority will not change during staffing cuts, but my relative seniority will, so, I won't move down in absolute number, but I will move down as a percentage of the pilot group since the group will get smaller. Relative seniority determines what you can hold, but of the options listed above, I am, at this moment, above 50% relative seniority, so they will remain open.

The more important question for the airline, and the reason they are reticent to cut the airplane, is this: what markets do we lose?

The 757 flies the thin Europe routes. We connect you from the East Coast to smaller cities in a point to point model. I've talked about this before, it's where UAL beats the competition. Want to go to Edinburgh? Every other carrier takes you through their hub, London, Frankfurt, Paris, etc. We take you EWR - EDI direct. Saving you a connection and several hours of time. That's a competitive advantage and the reason we've kept the 757 in service. The 180 seat ETOPS airplane that can reach Europe allows us to serve unique markets like Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Reykjavik, Stockholm, and others. In all, about 15 smaller markets where we couldn't fill a bigger airplane, like a 767 or 777. We've grown some of those markets, like EWR-DUB, to the 777, but right now, if we park the 757, those markets will have to be served by a larger airplane, or dropped.

Since we only have a finite number of larger airplanes, and some of those markets don't have the size to justify the bigger airplane, many will be dropped.

I think the A321NEO with the LR option would fit the mission, and since we have the A320, it's an easy addition to our fleet, because the pilot training is the same. 757 retirement is based on that airplane arriving. With airlines in crisis, it may be possible to accelerate our deliveries of that airplane, and hasten the 757 retirements.

For me personally, any of the above scenarios is a personal and professional disappointment. I fly a great jet, as Captain, to lots of really cool places in Europe and South America. A move to domestic Captain, or international FO is both a huge professional disappointment and I will miss those layovers in Europe's cool cities.

Is not the 787 a good replacement for those 757 routes?

For many of us that are from Tn,Ga,Al,and all points south, the foregoing statements are far above the paygrade of many of us,, now where did I park my 64GTO, I gotta go look for ...

Yeah, I totally understand your position. Those 757 routes made sense. Unfortunately, I just don't see number of travelers rebounding so fast to have 757's going back into service. From my position (and I have insight how things are being planned on the State level) the way things look in Colorado when it comes to opening of the state is very gradual opening. I am really not sure how ski season will look next year. So, it would be astonishing if societies just say: yep, lets go back to business as usual. There are several preconditions that need to be met before that happens. Once it happens, we have economic calamity. So, to have 2019 numbers, I just cannot see happening at least 3-5 years, and that would be best case scenario.
Just out of curiosity, considering all what is happening, what would be your preferred option? A320XLR or going FO route? I know that XLR can reach more European cities from New England, pretty much all the way to the Balkans. And did UAL ordered XLR or?

Originally Posted by daves87rs
I am hoping things improve fast...

Fast? That is relative. Give it 3-5 years for 2019 traffic number, best case scenario. I truly hope I am wrong.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

In an environment of multi-year industry decline, marginal types like the A34X and the A380 are probably gone although the A380 will at least live on with Emirates assuming that they can resume their former level of operations.
In an environment of general industry decline spread over at least a few years, the availability of type-rated pilots will be the least of any carrier's concerns.
There are also VCs (venture capital or vulture capital) who might be alert to the opportunity to loot target airlines.
Anybody remember Frank Lorenzo?
In any event, if this current crisis peaks and ebbs by mid-summer, none of the really bad stuff need happen to the airline industry.
If the current level of travel demand continues through year end, there will be little to worry about for most of the world's airlines since they'll be no more than fond memories, just like many carriers that succumbed in earlier times.

That's really the key: how quickly does traffic come back?

It's all a guess at this point. Some airlines are in better financial shape than others, but if traffic is as slow to come back as some are predicting, then the only survivors will be the ones that are supported by their governments.

I've no doubt that Emirates, for example, will get through this unscathed. They are heavily supported by government $$.

I'm really not a fan of governments picking winners and losers, but if we allow foreign governments to pick their airlines as winners, we all lose in the long run.

Yep, talked to a guy in Doha yesterday … Qatar Airways is flying regardless of utilization
(Light filled cabin has one obvious advantage right now)
His people have to do the 14 day alone game and get tested though.

Yeah, I totally understand your position. Those 757 routes made sense. Unfortunately, I just don't see number of travelers rebounding so fast to have 757's going back into service. From my position (and I have insight how things are being planned on the State level) the way things look in Colorado when it comes to opening of the state is very gradual opening. I am really not sure how ski season will look next year. So, it would be astonishing if societies just say: yep, lets go back to business as usual. There are several preconditions that need to be met before that happens. Once it happens, we have economic calamity. So, to have 2019 numbers, I just cannot see happening at least 3-5 years, and that would be best case scenario.
Just out of curiosity, considering all what is happening, what would be your preferred option? A320XLR or going FO route? I know that XLR can reach more European cities from New England, pretty much all the way to the Balkans. And did UAL ordered XLR or?

If you're asking my personal preference, I would take the 320 over being FO. I was an FO for 19 years. I'm a Captain, and Check Airman, now. With 8 years to go (I turn 56 this summer), I'm done with being an FO if I can avoid it.

If I'm able to continue international flying, that would be my preference, as well.

International, including ETOPS, is more challenging and complex than domestic. Domestic flying, frankly, is straightforward and simple. I prefer the challenge and I prefer the layovers. Getting to explore new places is something I enjoy.

United announced the XLR order last year. 50 jets on firm order to replace the 757.

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pre...s-for-transatlantic-route-expansion.html

But it takes time to incorporate new airplanes. You've got to get the simulators installed, and instructors trained, to be able to train the pilots. That takes years at best. United has the simulator space (The Denver Training Center is the world's largest) but each simulator is a custom order, and it takes the manufacturers a while just to build and test them, before delivering them to an airline.

We ordered the airplane in late 2019, with a planned in-service in 2024. Might be able to move that up, but it's a challenge, because of the long lead items discussed, and the fact that the order had a delivery date from Airbus.

Now, if airlines collapse, or cancel orders, then an airline in a good financial position, that moves aggressively, moves boldly, would be able to accelerate delivery of new airplanes to take advantage of those canceled orders.

In an environment of multi-year industry decline, marginal types like the A34X and the A380 are probably gone although the A380 will at least live on with Emirates assuming that they can resume their former level of operations.
In an environment of general industry decline spread over at least a few years, the availability of type-rated pilots will be the least of any carrier's concerns.
There are also VCs (venture capital or vulture capital) who might be alert to the opportunity to loot target airlines.
In any event, if this current crisis peaks and ebbs by mid-summer, none of the really bad stuff need happen to the airline industry.
If the current level of travel demand continues through year end, there will be little to worry about for most of the world's airlines since they'll be no more than fond memories, just like many carriers that succumbed in earlier times.

It's all a guess at this point. Some airlines are in better financial shape than others, but if traffic is as slow to come back as some are predicting, then the only survivors will be the ones that are supported by their governments.

I've no doubt that Emirates, for example, will get through this unscathed. They are heavily supported by government $$.

I'm really not a fan of governments picking winners and losers, but if we allow foreign governments to pick their airlines as winners, we all lose in the long run.

That is the key. That is why, hopefully government supports all carriers here. Forget ME3, Germany would never allow Lufthansa to go under for example.

I hope that the global economy comes back within a year or so, towing most of the world's airlines along with it.
I agree with you in that it would not benefit us a nation to allow foreign airlines to rule the skies on international routes.
This may be an opportunity for financially secure carriers to shed excess, system yield depressing capacity.
I posted something way upthread in the Max thread about how I'd hate to see a mere virus destroy the one-stop connections we enjoy(ed) from flyover country to almost anywhere in the world.
That now strikes me as an incredibly naïve view.
The human and economic toll to date has been horrendous.

If you're asking my personal preference, I would take the 320 over being FO. I was an FO for 19 years. I'm a Captain, and Check Airman, now. With 8 years to go (I turn 56 this summer), I'm done with being an FO if I can avoid it.

If I'm able to continue international flying, that would be my preference, as well.

International, including ETOPS, is more challenging and complex than domestic. Domestic flying, frankly, is straightforward and simple. I prefer the challenge and I prefer the layovers. Getting to explore new places is something I enjoy.

United announced the XLR order last year. 50 jets on firm order to replace the 757.

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pre...s-for-transatlantic-route-expansion.html

But it takes time to incorporate new airplanes. You've got to get the simulators installed, and instructors trained, to be able to train the pilots. That takes years at best. United has the simulator space (The Denver Training Center is the world's largest) but each simulator is a custom order, and it takes the manufacturers a while just to build and test them, before delivering them to an airline.

We ordered the airplane in late 2019, with a planned in-service in 2024. Might be able to move that up, but it's a challenge, because of the long lead items discussed, and the fact that the order had a delivery date from Airbus.

Now, if airlines collapse, or cancel orders, then an airline in a good financial position, that moves aggressively, moves boldly, would be able to accelerate delivery of new airplanes to take advantage of those canceled orders.

I hope under these circumstances you get what you hope for. It would be great if things go back to normal. However, I am coming from country where there is saying: What is difference between pessimist and optimist in Bosnia? Pessimist says "It cannot be worse than it is," and optimist says "oh yes it can."

Last edited:
Back