When is a thread "too old"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently read this:

Folks, this thread is over three years old.
If you want to talk about beaters, please start another thread.

At other times, posters are scolded and told to "search the topic...existing threads are already out there" when they make a new thread.

What exactly is the correct thing to do? What's the time limit? The "post your oil change" thread (June 2009) and some others have gone on for years and years. Seems like whatever someone does it comes into question.

Last edited:
Responding to a dormant or dead topic helps no one.

Its most often done by spammers, troublemakers or members not paying attention.

Topics die for a reason.

If a topic interests you start a new one or find one that's consistently had replies over time.

I recently read this:

Folks, this thread is over three years old.
If you want to talk about beaters, please start another thread.

At other times, posters are scolded and told to "search the topic...existing threads are already out there" when they make a new thread.

What exactly is the correct thing to do? What's the time limit? The "post your oil change" thread (June 2009) and some others have gone on for years and years. Seems like whatever someone does it comes into question.
I wrote that, so let me answer - the thread was posted by a member who is no longer here. It included posts from a member who has since passed away.

Oils have changed in three years. So have prices.

So, there is little relevance remaining in the thread. Certainly, it is of no help to the OP, who won't be reading the responses.

The time limit in this case was appropriate. The software closes threads at three years automatically, and I am surprised that one was still open.

For the long-running threads, like "what are you listening to" or "post your latest oil change" - folks are still participating, so the membership has determined that it still has relevance. That sort of thread, with active participation, stays open. It is the threads with zero replies for three years that get auto-locked.

TL;DR - three years.

If you find a thread that you believe has relevance, and it is closed, please report it, and a mod will take a look.

As far as the admonition to search, that is a different kettle of fish. Frankly, that's because there are literally hundreds of threads on each of a few "common theme" threads, and we all get tired of answering the same question, particularly when it was just answered two weeks ago. New folks show up, ask the same old question as if they were the first one to think of it.

Here is an example: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/oil-change-hot-or-cold.379030/

Might as well have another thick vs. thin debate.

And we all know how that goes...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back