Air hose recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so it's getting cold and my rubber air hoses will soon be sticky and disgusting. I'm not particularly fond of their unwillingness to lay flat either, so I think I'll try a new one.

I had a short length of this stuff called "Nextrile" which is awesome, but when I asked about it at the shop where they cut it for me several years ago, they wanted $1.65/foot which works out to over $80 for a 50 foot hose...too expensive.
eek.gif

Anyone have a good air hose recommendation?

3/8

The yellow Goodyear are what I have now. I love U.S. made products...will almost always choose that over import, andI'm happy with these for the most part, but I detest the sticky grossness they get in cold weather. I would like something equally flexible or better, as well.

Last edited:
+1 on American made Goodyear Gorilla [yellow] hoses: last forever, lay flat and no coiling problems. I don't know how they are in cold weather though, seldom gets below 60° in our shop. Maybe wipe them down with solvent once a week to keep them from getting gross?

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
+1 on American made Goodyear Gorilla [yellow] hoses: last forever, lay flat and no coiling problems. I don't know how they are in cold weather though, seldom gets below 60° in our shop. Maybe wipe them down with solvent once a week to keep them from getting gross?

http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Multipurp...+3%2F8+air+hose

Sounds like what I want, but looks expensive. Maybe I just have to come to grips with spending a little more...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RS700L
3/8

The differentiating factor with Nextrile is the PVC construction -- Gates has the Thermo GPX line, which is carried on RockAuto: 3/8" I.D. x 5/8" O.D. x 50' (300 psi, 1/4-18NPT) for $29.

Forget any HF branded hose. But the Goodyear from them is fine.

My main hoses are on a hose reel which I like. And I have different colored hose (and fittings) for lubricated air vs clean air.

I can tell you that the green polyurethane type of hose, mine was from Menard's, has given me a bad experience. It won't coil up neatly and sticks to itself constantly.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
You'll want polyurethane hoses.

Light and stays flexible in all weather. Coils nicely too.

Agreed. I switched to poly about 10 years ago. They are hard and smooth on the outside so they slide nicely when being pulled around things and once they're trained they pretty much roll themselves up.
Big loops when rolling them up. Tighter loops cause them to tangle when unrolling them.
I'll never use a rubber jacket ever again.
And poly has gotten super cheap in the past few years too.
Just don't pull so hard that the fibers in the hose crackles. You'll end up with hundreds of tiny pinholes and you'll end up having to delete about 10 feet of it the couple it back together.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: RS700L
3/8

The differentiating factor with Nextrile is the PVC construction -- Gates has the Thermo GPX line, which is carried on RockAuto: 3/8" I.D. x 5/8" O.D. x 50' (300 psi, 1/4-18NPT) for $29.

Can you explain to me what the PVC has to do with it? I have a PVC hose that is stationary...runs from one end of the shop to another regulator...it gets hard as a rock in the winter. This is not what I want.

Does anyone have experience with Goodyear Pliovic hoses?

Goodyear Pliovic Amazon

HF seems to stock several qualities of hose now. Maybe the green is worth trying. The red is junk. HF should read the reviews on their own website. Apparently they sell a 1/2" air hose with 3/8" fittings. How absurd, everyone complained about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back