After Market Oil Filter Concern for Hyundai/Kia ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Donald
A quality oil filter will be fine. If its so special and aftermarket would void the warranty, then the manufacturer needs to supply them for free. Thats the law.

Not quite. A quality oil filter may work fine on different type oiling systems however sometimes a filter (Honda) can be too good and ends up being too restrictive which leads to inadequate oiling.

I remember years ago Honda insisted that oem filters be used, even though the filters were horrible as far as filtering ability (50%@30 microns rings a bell but I may be mistaken) however their oil pumps were weak and the filter had to be the as small a restriction as possible otherwise their wasn't enough volume and engines failed over time.

If these engine use a positive displacement oil pump, then the only way the engine is going to be starved is if the filter is so restrictive that the oil pump shoots right up to pressure relief and the resulting oil flow is way below what's needed. Or the oil pump is so weak and inefficient that it leaks a ton of oil volume if some added flow restriction is added to the oiling circuit.

As discussed many times on this board, the "typical" engine's oiling circuit is about 15 times more restrictive than the average oil filter. So how can adding 1/15th more restriction cause an oil pump to fall flat on it's face and destroy an engine? IMO, these cases where the filter supposedly caused oil starvation to the engine have to have some other factors involved, or the filter was some counterfeit knock-off that used cardboard out of landfill for media and didn't flow no matter how good an oil pump was.

What Hyundai/Kia need to admit is that their rods are defected, but that would cause them to recall all affected engines.

Surprised that it is not mentioned that the trouble was inadequate flushing of the machined particles of the blocks at the Alabama plant IIRC. Of course they tried to blame it on the filters. Look that up, I believe it was the engines from 2012 to 2014 or so....They are c/o engines for some folks. BTW, I buy OEM filters by the case on Amazon usually, handy to have around.

The TSB dates back originally to the early 90's. It gets watered down with every new re-issue. I use the Fram Ultras on both my Hyundais. The Gen Coupe is quite happy but the Accent has a slight tick. But it comes after the engine has been running a minute or so. It's the lifters I believe.

The Hyundai filters are not very good at filtering from what I have seen. The Auto7 brand is the same as OE for both my Hyundais and RockAuto has them for under $3 now.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
….The Hyundai filters are not very good at filtering from what I have seen. The Auto7 brand is the same as OE for both my Hyundais and RockAuto has them for under $3 now.

Not according to linked 2017 thread as sold at RA, A7 has new supplier. Nitrile adbv.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4492151/1

Very interesting. Within the past few months, I bought about 5 AUTO7 filters for my sonata.

They were OEM filters in a OEM Hyundai/Kia box, with an auto7 sticker overlaying the factory part number.

I also bought some Auto7 wipers. They did not come in a Hyundai/Kia box, but they were manufactured in Korea. Whats interesting is the two wipers were different brands, both were all in korean writing. They seem to be holding up fine.

I'm not sure if these engines are defective, but I will say one thing. These cars need a LOT of maintenance. And the American consumer doesn't check oil or look after cars at all.

My 2011 Alabama engine uses a little oil, maybe half a quart in 3500 miles. I stick to a strict regime of 3750 severe service oil changes, and full syn, or semi syn oil and OEM style filters.

These GDI engines soot like nothing I have ever seen. I have never ran an UOA, but the oil gets quite dark very quickly.

I think that some of the engines that are throwing rods are low on oil, or maintained poorly.

Hyundai did a band-aid TSB, which was applied to my vehicle. They put a new dipstick in the car, checked it for knock using a sound device, and raised the oil level about half a quart.

The new oil change takes 5.25 quarts, and I think the old one was a little under 5 quarts.

I think this is because people don't check oil and Hyundai was noticing problems of people coming in super low on oil because they never check it.

Quote:
….The Hyundai filters are not very good at filtering from what I have seen. The Auto7 brand is the same as OE for both my Hyundais and RockAuto has them for under $3 now.

Not according to linked 2017 thread as sold at RA, A7 has new supplier. Nitrile adbv.

That is not the Auto7 brand sold for the Accent/Gen Coupe 2L. The blue Auto7 that fit my cars comes with a Hyundai part number and Hyundia/Kia logos.

My Accent which I bought new, used oil from day 1. Around a quart per 3k mile at the beginning on dino oil. Now with 160k miles almost all on synthetic oil, it's down to z half quart every 7k mile OCI.

RA current listing show exact same part# for OP of linked thread, as Accent and Gen. 0120046. OP linked thread ordered same and received from RA DO4459 A7 nitrile adbv and new supplier. Not the only one it happened to, KDOAXS another one.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...oem#Post4016579

Caveat emptor.

Otoh, current RA Premium Guard for Hy/Kia shows silicone adbv and car51 has posted dissections.

RA current listing show exact same part# for OP of linked thread, as Accent and Gen. 0120046. OP linked ordered same and received from RA DO4459 A7 nitrile adbv and new supplier. Not the only one it happened to, KDOAXS another one.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...oem#Post4016579

Caveat emptor.

Otoh, current RA Premium Guard for Hy/Kia shows silicone adbv and car51 has posted dissections.
When i look at RA for my 2008 Accent this is the auto7 branded filter.

AUTO 7 0120046 Comes in the Hyundai box with the seal.
012-0046__ra_t.jpg

Here's the MAHLE/CLEVITE OC707
OC707-SID-04-19-11__ra_t.jpg

but none the less I won't order them any more due to the use of the Fram Ultra XG9688

Been discussed before in link reposted. RA stock pics didn't/don't match up with what was received by members in both threads. Clearly detailed in first liked thread. RA A7 pic didn't match up what was received. As you commented in both threads would have thought you would realize that by now. Mahle pic irrelevant to discussion.

As noted Caveat Emptor for A7 now from RA.

This the filter received by two members linked when ordering A7 from RA part # 0120046

RA does say the Auto7 one is discontinued. They may have the old Hyundai part number. But all Auto 7 parts I have got from RA are true blue Hyundai in Hyundai packaging. Just my experience.

The Fram Ultra is a better filter anyway for the same price as OE.

Funny you guys are posting about this today. I just changed the oil yesterday in the Santa Fe. I have one more of these left. They are holding up fine for 5K. I havent bought any more as, like Sayjac said, you don't know what you will get.

Interesting thoughts JustinH.

Our KIA won't use a perceptible drop in a 10k OCI (3.5 Lambda II not GDI) but my buddy's wife has a 12 Rio and it has had no oil showing on the dipstick multiple times cause it doesn't get checked often enough. They have had no problems with the car but he admits he worries about the overall health of the engine because of it, I think he checks it more often now though. One time woulda been enough for me!

IMHO: Just buy the Fram Ultra XG filter specific for your ride (mine is XG9688) at Wally World for $8 and have one of the best filters on the market. Easy-peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back