Active grille shutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still waiting for the multitudes of reports of these failing left and right, causing engine damage galore... Instead, these threads devolve into another I don't like them, want to disable them, etc... with no non-accident breakage issues being cited...

Me, I like mine on my 2016 F150. The engine warms up faster on cold mornings. The engine temp is modulated nicely when cruising and I reap the fuel mileage rewards. My condensor and radiator take way less punishment from road debris and bugs.

When the temp goes below about 35 degrees, mine default to about 1/3rd open after warmup, avoiding any icing problems and effectively working as a winter front...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Still waiting for the multitudes of reports of these failing left and right, causing engine damage galore... Instead, these threads devolve into another I don't like them, want to disable them, etc... with no non-accident breakage issues being cited...

Me, I like mine on my 2016 F150. The engine warms up faster on cold mornings. The engine temp is modulated nicely when cruising and I reap the fuel mileage rewards. My condensor and radiator take way less punishment from road debris and bugs.

When the temp goes below about 35 degrees, mine default to about 1/3rd open after warmup, avoiding any icing problems and effectively working as a winter front...

It's not just about the shutters failing, it's about about these engines already running very hot and causing plastic parts under the hood to deteriorate. There are many reports of low-mileage 1.0 Ecoboost engine failures due to coolant loss and overheating. I knew this when I bought my car, but I also knew that I would remove the grille shutters.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

It's not just about the shutters failing, it's about about these engines already running very hot and causing plastic parts under the hood to deteriorate. There are many reports of low-mileage 1.0 Ecoboost engine failures due to coolant loss and overheating. I knew this when I bought my car, but I also knew that I would remove the grille shutters.

If underhood temps are too high, wouldn't it make sense to remove the... hood?

paragraphimage.jpg

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Supposedly, and I hear this second hand, the cooling path is engineered. Letting air out the top of the cowl for example can cause a hot spot lower down that would have seen more airflow, warm-ish as it was, with things set up stock.

I did some under hood temp at speed testing on my '96 Taurus SHO. Removing the entire cowl would raise the temps at the firewall where as just removing half (passenger side) would reduce temps. I was trying to see how hot the intake got and the effects of my mods to combat heat.

Now I just remove the hood seals front and back.

Ironically, this "feature" was one of the reasons that I didn't go with the F-150 two years ago, when I was truck shopping.

So many things were engineered into the F-150 to squeak out a bit more MPG, that even though the truck drove better than the rest, I just wasn't willing to roll the bones on all that high tech. Just more stuff to fail...and need replacement.

I went with a simple, big V-8. It doesn't get near the MPG that the F-150 does...

And I'm OK with that.

How about removing the underhood appearance cover?

Wasn't the idea of plastic bumpers used so repairs can be cheaper vs a steel or metal bumper? In low speed collisions or in minor fender benders.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
So what's wrong with a sheet of cardboard with a flap and a string?

That's only for Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba, and possibly North Dakota.
wink.gif

I use to drive and old Mack semi that had air operated shutters, had a shutter-stat that controlled them.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

paragraphimage.jpg

grin.gif

Funny this thread came up. My 2014 Cruze diesel just went in to the dealership for a CEL that shows an issue with them. Turned out to be the control module was grounding out. Replace it and all is well. $392 later of which I only paid a $100 deductible my extended warranty covered most of it and the rental car.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
So what's wrong with a sheet of cardboard with a flap and a string?

If you block the rad, be sure you don't block the area where the auto tranny cooler assembly is in the
rad or you can overheat the transmission, seen it happen in the winter!

Active shutters are a device to manage air flow, and reduce drag, not to regulate engine temperature.

I'm sure the engineers aren't oblivious to failures, and a complete failure mode hasn't escaped their thinking, so there is a safety margin factored in. I doubt Ford, etc. want to be replacing engines because a $20 motor put a engine costing thousands at risk. They'd be irresponsible to do otherwise.

A modern, forced-induction, vehicle already has a surfeit of extra components in the front, compared to days past. Heat exchangers, their plumbing, fancy headlights...; a crash is going to be expensive, regardless.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
We really only ever replace those on vehicles that have been in accidents.

Yeah, but think about all the cars where it is broken, and the Owner's have no idea that it's broken.

Personally I would have no long term confidence in a cheap piece of plastic on this part of the car.
looking 10 yrs down the road; plastic louvers built by Ford do not give me the warm fuzzies.

The shutters and the linkages on a '62 PB prolly weigh 50lbs.

Carmudgeon, Goody 2 shoes here doesn't share your train of thought. This is the same outfit that thought a rear timing chain on an OHC V6 was a good idea.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Carmudgeon, Goody 2 shoes here doesn't share your train of thought. This is the same outfit that thought a rear timing chain on an OHC V6 was a good idea.

Oh yeah, what a beautiful way to convert OHV to OHC. And the gears aren't even keyed to the cams. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back