Safety nannies

I'd struggle to go back to not having a rear view camera.
Have to say, I have gotten very used to it. Almost to the point now where I'm about to clean it off before getting into the car, as I dislike when it's covered in water! just too nice, as it gives such a better view. [When I had my pickup, I rigged up a backup camera--and on my enclosed trailer, added one too. That way I could back that up right where I wanted it. Or watch traffic behind me.]

Lane departure warning and radar cruise, however, should die a painful death.
Yeah, that's about my opinion there too... I know some like it, and I should try it again, but boy, no love at the moment.

Several observations:
I didn't think I would like it, but the Distronic Level 2 autonomy in my C43 works really well; I use it on limited access roads quite a bit. When I first drove it the route based speed adaptation was enabled, which slowed the car to an AARP approved velocity whenever a corner was encountered. I absolutely hated it but fortunately I found that it can be permanently disabled.
Even though I have set the sensitivity as low as possible, the frontal collision warning occasionally goes off when there in no danger of a collision. The warning system in the Wrangler is not as pessimistic.

I'd rather have parking sensors than a rear view camera,, but what I really like is a surround view system.

Unbelievably, the C43 is limited to 133 mph unless the summer tire option box is checked; luckily my car came with summer tires or else I would have taken a pass.

I am currently driving a G22 4 Series loaner while the Club Sport is being serviced and it has the most annoying nanny- hands down; it has road sign recognition and if you exceed the speed limit the road sign icon blinks for several seconds.I had to spend a couple of minutes drilling down through some iDrive menus but I was finally able to kill it.

Last edited:
I'd struggle to go back to not having a rear view camera.
I don't think they should be relied on 100%. It's nice to look at the screen when backing up but, but if coming out of a parking space, it's easy for the front of your car to swing wide and swipe the car next to it. Maybe the 360° overhead view camera overcomes that problem but I haven't had one with that yet.

Lane departure warning and radar cruise, however, should die a painful death.
Wish EVERY car on the road had LDW for all the people not paying attention to the road and wandering into my lane while texting or on the phone. My Corolla takes it one step further with automatic lane keeping. Set the cruise and it steers itself and stays within the lane. In combination with the radar cruise, it's great in stop and go traffic jams. Automatically starts and stops when following the car in front of you. Don't have to touch the brake or gas and only have to touch the wheel every 15 seconds.

I don't think they should be relied on 100%. It's nice to look at the screen when backing up but, but if coming out of a parking space, it's easy for the front of your car to swing wide and swipe the car next to it. Maybe the 360° overhead view camera overcomes that problem but I haven't had one with that yet.
Agreed...for me backing out of the garage and down the driveway is where they are nice, and I back into my spot at work and it's nice to easily judge distance to the curb. For reversing, auto tilt down mirrors are more helpful than the backup cam.
Wish EVERY car on the road had LDW for all the people not paying attention to the road and wandering into my lane while texting or on the phone. My Corolla takes it one step further with automatic lane keeping. Set the cruise and it steers itself and stays within the lane. In combination with the radar cruise, it's great in stop and go traffic jams. Automatically starts and stops when following the car in front of you. Don't have to touch the brake or gas and only have to touch the wheel every 15 seconds.
I always disable radar cruise since I hate how it starts slowing me down prior to passing...I want to hold speed until I'm closer to the vehicle ahead then I will pass to keep my speed.

Agreed...for me backing out of the garage and down the driveway is where they are nice, and I back into my spot at work and it's nice to easily judge distance to the curb. For reversing, auto tilt down mirrors are more helpful than the backup cam.

I always disable radar cruise since I hate how it starts slowing me down prior to passing...I want to hold speed until I'm closer to the vehicle ahead then I will pass to keep my speed.
The Distronic in the C43 will change lanes if it is safe to do so- you just use the turn signal and the car follows suit.

Actually there is A LOT of research in the field of psychology where your statement is absolutely incorrect. There is no doubt that some people shouldn’t have kids. There are a lot of people who actually know that.
But issue is far more complex and human brain doesn’t work in a way someone argues from couch. I am parent, I get it, but it is not that simple.
You say I am incorrect that not all parents are fit to assume the role of being a good parent, but then follow up with the stantementg that "no doubt that some people shouldn’t have kids". Confused as to the subtle difference between the two.

You say I am incorrect that not all parents are fit to assume the role of being a good parent, but then follow up with the stantementg that "no doubt that some people shouldn’t have kids". Confused as to the subtle difference between the two.
Topic are safety nannies. Huge majority of these cases are happening to regular folks, that nothing sets them apart from any if us.
When I say not everyone should be a parent, I mean, idk, junkies etc.
These things happen to people that you would never expect to happen.
It can happen to you too.

Whether driving or parenting, you need to set your priorities correctly. Everyone involved is depending on you. Maybe the drivers test should be harder and encompass a wider variety of circumstances. Should parallel parking really be the hardest part of the test?

They say most kids stranded in rear seats happen because something changed in a parents routine-- Dad vs Mom has to drop them off at daycare due to an appointment for example but then habitually just drives to work.

I don't like my lane departure warning because I don't stay in my lane, LOL. The highly crowned country roads here are safer when slippery if I'm on the yellow line and the car hates that. The shoulder and rightmost few feet of asphalt are also known for potholes and crumbling pavement.

I'm not a dad, but somehow can't imagine forgetting my baby in the vehicle if I was.
What next, forget my puppy or grandmother if I had them along, or to shut the engine off, remove keys, and lock it.

Last edited:
My mom/dad never forgot us kids in the car. They did leave us in the car plenty of times once we were old enough to keep the keys with us and roll some windows down/start the car if it got hot.

Back